2016 Uniform Thread

The Cadet uniform isn't looking as bad as the initial picture they released, plumes will definitely help showcase their velocity

I am amazed by the darkness, the bizarreness, of the DCI uniforms so far revealed this year (minus Phantom.) Even Boston goes dark and then accents with contrasting white.

The times we live in are rather depressed given the tragedies, the wars, the terrorism, the poor economy for the usual person, particularly the retirees and the recent college grads.
In times gone by this is when the American arts gave rise to the great musicals and galas rather than the dark music and films we have today.
Even Finding Dory is not as light as Fantasia.
Uplifting arts? Perhaps of an another era. Seeking the beauty so many in WGI portray is not the thread most of the show designs and vesture DCI is imitating today but rather the culture of clinical depression and cynicism..

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

....wow

sorry, but I can't make the quote thing work correctly.

but the picture that @gak27 posted with clint eastwood's face superimposed on the crown guard uniform was too much.

Edited by Lance

I am amazed by the darkness, the bizarreness, of the DCI uniforms so far revealed this year (minus Phantom.) Even Boston goes dark and then accents with contrasting white.

The times we live in are rather depressed given the tragedies, the wars, the terrorism, the poor economy for the usual person, particularly the retirees and the recent college grads.

In times gone by this is when the American arts gave rise to the great musicals and galas rather than the dark music and films we have today.

Even Finding Dory is not as light as Fantasia.

Uplifting arts? Perhaps of an another era. Seeking the beauty so many in WGI portray is not the thread most of the show designs and vesture DCI is imitating today but rather the culture of clinical depression and cynicism..

I much prefer someone be challenged to portray and present this: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a2eeae66c7&view=fimg&th=1556f5336b9e2603&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_1556f531b717bd1a&attbid=ANGjdJ90YCRi9ZArySaA-MeH-G1YKy2m8XpAKFFvQyiwzcst7gZqpHl8uiw_aWoiGKMvOI7GXuNzDVQoQy2Nr9Y9kxFWzwAw-kO3RIc4tWNuqODmGYnY9yyCHE0VxjI&sz=w1080-h760&ats=1466451594420&rm=1556f5336b9e2603&zw&atsh=1

Confused by what the URL is supposed to be...?

I agree with the need to be current and keep moving forward but how many groups can sustain annual purchasing of new costuming to fit a show's theme? The cost would be hard to accept, when each year, money is immediately earmarked for new costumes. How many groups have that amount of disposable income? If your costumes are show specific, how can you sell them as the Crusaders old uni's went to the Battalion.

Three ways this can go. One is that the brass/percussion can do tweaks to regular unis to highlight the show design. Second is true show-specific costuming. The third is really what I see happening over time, a gradual slide from 1) to 2). If a corps does decide to do a true costume as opposed to a uniform, they do not need them to be as costly and long-lived as today's uniforms. They just need to exist for the season. They'd be designed and manufactured to be disposable...hence cheaper. One early example of that is the Jersey Shore show Surf did back in the early 2000's.

A band or another corps could buy a corps costumes if they fit their own show (and the costumes remain in decent shape). I see that as a side bonus to the corps, not a regular goal.

This is true ( to a degree ) but was also the very beginning of " band directors" bringing kids in I think. Also many who you mention like Angelica, George T. etc etc were also drum corps people , maybe 1st in most if not all cases. I think that also made a difference in the mindset. This probably was the beginning for some of the cross pollinating from the band world to the drum corps world which kinda proves a point as to who infiltrated who 1st and brought what to whom. Just a thought

Back to uniforms..lol

Yes, I do tend to agree for the most part. But my suburban GSC corps had a staff of non-scholastic instructors; our brass guy was the Skyliners Bucky Swan (who taught EVERY corps in the GSC it seemed :tounge2: ) and our drum guy was a guy from the Cabs, George Lopez. Our band director in town HATED drum corps; then again, he hated marching band too, being an oboe player by background. He made a deal with us drum corps kids. We had to do MB for football, but we could march with our corps in the town's Memorial Day parade.

Actually both Don and George were scholastic musicians in their younger years before and during their corps marching member years. I know Don was one of Dr Baggs' students at Bergenfield HS when Dr. Baggs was the band director in the 50's. So they were VERY early examples of cross pollinating the two genres, though back then they were the really the exceptions and not the rule, for sure!

Back to unis!

• Like 1

Three ways this can go. One is that the brass/percussion can do tweaks to regular unis to highlight the show design. Second is true show-specific costuming. The third is really what I see happening over time, a gradual slide from 1) to 2). If a corps does decide to do a true costume as opposed to a uniform, they do not need them to be as costly and long-lived as today's uniforms. They just need to exist for the season. They'd be designed and manufactured to be disposable...hence cheaper. One early example of that is the Jersey Shore show Surf did back in the early 2000's.

A band or another corps could buy a corps costumes if they fit their own show (and the costumes remain in decent shape). I see that as a side bonus to the corps, not a regular goal.

Re-using a previously used corps costume when they "need to exist for one season. They'd be designed and manufactured to be disposable" does not lend itself to any group buying and re-using them. And they'd still cost the first group real money. Each year. I like your first option which to me is more realistic and the smarter way to go.

Actually both Don and George were scholastic musicians in their younger years before and during their corps marching member years. I know Don was one of Dr Baggs' students at Bergenfield HS when Dr. Baggs was the band director in the 50's. So they were VERY early examples of cross pollinating the two genres, though back then they were the really the exceptions and not the rule, for sure!

Gayle Royer, the former Corps Director of the Santa Clara Vanguard ( and one of the Founders of DCI ) was a H.S. Marching Band Director as well. Despite being a MB Director by occupation, he was vehemently opposed to the modification change proposal in the soprano brass instrument ( additional valve ). He publically made it known on a number of occasions that he wanted to keep Marching Bands, Marching Bands, and Drum Corps, Drum Corps.. He did not want, nor did he support, any efforts for " cross pollinating the two genres , but he did support collaboration amongst what at the time were the two distinct genres. Oh well, as a poster said above.. time marches on.

Edited by BRASSO