No Detailed Recaps

I will miss Mike Boo's analysis on the recaps on the DCI website. For quite some time now, he did a great job with his breakdown of the recaps, & scores, on the DCI website each summer throughut the season. Now, thats gone, and he will have to come up with something else. Oh well, time marches on.

I honestly am really going to miss doing the Recap Roundup. I really loved delving deep into the numbers and trying to synthesize what I saw into something the average fan could understand and appreciate. On the flip side, I'll be getting a lot more sleep on the nights of the big shows. While I will certainly relish that opportunity, I will miss trying to bring the fans more into the process. I'll be looking for something new to try to share.

Oh, and thank you much for your kind words.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

You've probably hit on the secret reason for this change: Boo's exorbitant writer's fees!

Yes, the amount I had to pay in order to be allowed to do the feature was starting to really negatively affect my bank book.

I wish I made a tenth of what some people think I make. :)

I honestly am really going to miss doing the Recap Roundup. I really loved delving deep into the numbers and trying to synthesize what I saw into something the average fan could understand and appreciate. On the flip side, I'll be getting a lot more sleep on the nights of the big shows. While I will certainly relish that opportunity, I will miss trying to bring the fans more into the process. I'll be looking for something new to try to share.

Oh, and thank you much for your kind words.

Is this another scheme of DeNovi, Gibbs, Jacobs, and crew where we will eventually be paying for the recaps like the FN, recaps that will probably be copyrighted as well?

Relish? Mike you are making me hungry and not just for the scores.

Edited by xandandl

I think this measure should be entitled the "Michael Boo Winter Employment Plan". Mr Boo gets to try and analyse all the recaps starting after Finals in August (or whenever they are released free from copyright limitations) and hopes he can finish before the season begins again the following June.

Laughing my butt off. Perhaps I'll be handed the recaps after Finals and told I can't leave the stadium until I complete the analysis. I wonder if the ankle bracelet will allow me to venture out to Shapiro's Deli down the street for sustenance. If not, the Lucas Oil Stadium crews will have to sweep around me after the exhibition games.

OH MY GOD! You've just given DCI an idea that could place me in indentured servitude at least until Labor Day. I love the concept of job security...but, hey.

• Like 1

Is this another scheme of DeNovi, Gibbs, Jacobs, and crew where we will eventually be paying for the recaps like the FN, recaps that will probably be copyrighted as well?

I don't think those of us who occasionally knock DCI for possible sneaking doings, even in jest, would have come of with this idea. You're good X!

Relish? Mike you are making me hungry and not just for the scores.

This is an interesting idea. Major League Baseball tried to copyright statistics to keep them out of the hands of fantasy baseball companies, and failed miserably (the courts established that you cannot copyright data). The question is, would scores given by judges count as data/statistics? Is there a precedent for this either way (perhaps with Olympics scoring)?

Edited by Kamarag

The plan is to rent me out to personally go to the houses of fans willing to pay for a Recap Roundup experience, just like Michio Kaku in that TurboTax commercial.

• Like 2

This is an interesting idea. Major League Baseball tried to copyright statistics to keep them out of the hands of fantasy baseball companies, and failed miserably (the courts established that you cannot copyright data). The question is, would scores given by judges count as data/statistics? Is there a precedent for this either way (perhaps with Olympics scoring)?

Or is DCI trying to keep the data out of the hands of others who run data-gathering and posting services for free or otherwise, maybe?

Edited by garfield

Based on the limited info that we have so far* ... I'm fine with this, at least as an experimental measure.

I've met and know some incredible DCI judges, and have zero doubt toward their critiques and scores.

I also know 1-2 who are patently -- though not officially, unfortunately -- unqualified. Many would be surprised how easy it is for a BS artist (with an ego+lots of time on his hands) to get this gig. You can say that's a different issue altogether, but that's the reality we're given. I'm all for shaking things up and seeing what sticks.

*DCI really buried the lede on this. I'll say that.