No Detailed Recaps

I actually think this is a good thing.

WGI (at least on the guard side) has been doing this for a few years now with success. They hold the recaps until the end of the regional, or the end of finals. That way judges don't have to "worry" about what other judges did. The second-guessing of "Was I right? Or was he right? Was I too low? Was I too high?" kinds of mental paranoia are minimized. Judges can go with their gut and judge performance of the day and ONLY that performance, without the haze of outside, irrelevant, and PAST information.

I think ordinal recaps would be fine, and for the most part, this is all the public really needs to know.

HMMMM holding recaps back from guards verses judges are two different things

I'm going to be honest...this is going to disengage me a fair amount. Being able to analyze what the judging community thinks of a show in-progress through the season versus my own thoughts actually help me be a better designer and judge myself, and I just really enjoy that part of the activity. Championships may be the only thing I pay attention to now (other than my annual trip to San Antonio), which is a shame for me, but, well, it's not about me, so here we are.

The plan is to rent me out to personally go to the houses of fans willing to pay for a Recap Roundup experience, just like Michio Kaku in that TurboTax commercial.

Wow... this could become a big tourist thing.

Maybe a tie-in with a hotel chain and local restaurants....group discounts... and value-added options like meet-and-greets.

Imagine the possibilities. :ninja:

Do we really think that this change will mean fewer butts in seats?

Are you suggesting that DCI makes changes and those changes are based partly or wholly on whether or not it will mean "fewer ( or greater ) butts in the seats " ? I have never gotten the impression that DCI has EVER seriously contemplated whether or not a change they will adopt will have a positive or negative effect on future years attendance. So I'm a bit perplexed why anyone would ask us NOW if this change will mean fewer ( or greater ) butts in the seats.

• Like 1

Are you suggesting that DCI makes changes and those changes are based partly or wholly on whether or not it will mean "fewer ( or greater ) butts in the seats " ? I have never gotten the impression that DCI has EVER seriously contemplated whether or not a change they will adopt will have a positive or negative effect on future years attendance. So I'm a bit perplexed why anyone would ask us NOW if this change will mean fewer ( or greater ) butts in the seats.

That question goes as far back as the First Rules Congress (1972) when the question of whether or not Flag Pre. should still remain mandatory was discussed.

(Some thought that if we dropped it then we'd lose the veterans at any contest, inividuals buying tickets not just posts sponsoring corps or contests.. Time has told otherwise.)

Edited by xandandl

That question goes as far back as the First Rules Congress (1972) when the question of whether or not Flag Pre. should still remain mandatory was discussed.

(Some thought that if we dropped it then we'd lose the veterans at any contest, inividuals buying tickets not just posts sponsoring corps or contests.. Time has told otherwise.)

DCI is unique in that its fans are not its primary customers. DCI's primary customers are the people who pay the money to march. DCI is not like most sports in this respect. Fan attendance ( and TV revenues ) is a big part of the sport experience, so naturally these sports care a lot as to whether or not such a contemplated change vwill have a positive or negative effect on attendance and TV revenues. DCI wants to be certain its primary paying customers ( the youthful MM's ) are well served in any change DCI adopts. As such, DCI could care less if its ticket purchasers to its shows will no longer have recaps. Thats because this change has no effect whatsoever on its primary paying customers ( the MM's ).

Edited by BRASSO

It has no effect whatsoever on the paying audience either, honestly.

Mike

Yes. My guess, this decision to scrap detailed show recaps is a neutral event regarding future attendance.. ie, it will nether grow, nor diminish show attendance. Same as the loss of Fan Network, imo.