Have we seen the last of high-speed "kaleidoscopic" drill in D

It's all subjective. But I will state that doing bug stomp swivel hips 20 times in a show means you've cleaned a move so you can stand in formation and get credit for ONE thing used over and over. Not saying it's not hard but it's the same move over and over.

• Like 2

Logistically one must get the spit out of the valves somewhere? Perhaps let the drums and guard take over for a few seconds? Or let what you call the 'pit' take the melody for a few phrases?

You wanted bigger, better, louder but as humans we can physically only do what we can do. I have respect for modern drum corps performers. I hope they respect an old school DC/WG girl too :)

Oh, so much here... cheesy, gooey, needing pulled like taffy.

Second tier through your lenses, first tier through another's. What's the difference, really?

We can debate all the other points, but on these two you are completely and absolutely wrong:

Watch THIS

...then look me in the eye and tell me it bored you. If you say that it does I will better understand your position (and think you've lost your mind).

Second, "watered down drum books"? Only in the context of what might be if they weren't wasting time dancing.

Dancing drumlines is for sissies and we both know it, but the wizards of smart say they should do that stuff while playing hard stuff, too. It could be worse, you know. When was the last time you saw a fat drumline? Even the bass drums today are lean and mean, and big.

I hate the simultaneous demand crap and wonder what we might get if they weren't wasting time and energy dancing, as you say. But "watered down" from what we don't know is still heads and heads above whatever we've experienced so far in drumline performance.

Maybe you didn't mean to imply otherwise, and we likely agree more than not.

But imagine 10 Brandons. OMG.

I heard BD is coming out and snares will have no sticks and not play entire show. "It's NEVER been done!" exclaims percussion and effect judges.

Win percussion, effect and take another title. Cadets and Crown come out triple tonguing while backing into rotating forms flawlessly and fall to 4 and 5th place.

• Like 1

:bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil: :bluedevil:

The thought makes me all tingly inside!

Cloning? :)

I've always thought playing triplets with one hand and 16th notes with the other while simultaneously marching a 7/8 meter was demanding enough. But today you have to pick you nose, dance on one foot, twirl, emote, reach for the stars, show your softer side, and grit your teeth as if you're splitting hickory with a butter knife.

And if the competition does all of that and plays flams on their triplets in addition - even crappy flams! - well, what you've got there is some Box-5 stuff, eh?!

At my age, I'm lucky if I can walk a straight line to the bathroom. :tongue:

Then switch to wine and lay off the beer!

Thank you, Dr. Feelgood!!! LOL