Greatest Storytale Ending in DCI History

For storytelling shows and fun endings, none is better than VK, vintage 1992

Here's Velvet Knights in their '92 show, "Magical Mystery Tour - Part III"

Fun stuff - especially at the 2:20 mark. If you've seen this, you know it's a blast. If you haven't, you have to watch:

http://youtu.be/9A0Mg972xs4

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

Fun stuff - especially at the 2:20 mark. If you've seen this, you know it's a blast. If you haven't, you have to watch:

and to be really honest, part of the fun of seeing this show was seeing them add stuff as they got into August. I think they actually added a thing or two Finals night, if I remember correctly

• Like 1

and to be really honest, part of the fun of seeing this show was seeing them add stuff as they got into August. I think they actually added a thing or two Finals night, if I remember correctly

The shark, for one thing, IIRC.

• Like 1

Haha the bottle dance psych-out was awesome. Nothing beats a good satire.

• Like 1

Haha the bottle dance psych-out was awesome. Nothing beats a good satire.

True, though my favorite SCV Bottle Dance psych-out would have to be 1996 (the space show): they went into the whole build-up, and instead of the familiar slow thing the corps played "The Imperial March" complete with the cymbal crashes and everything (and guard in Vader masks IIRC)

I wish I could say that a story book ending was when 27th Lancers in 1980 started the year with performing at the Winter Olympics and finished with a DCI championship, but sadly that did not happen, but in that year something else did happen that is more bittersweet than story book but is still moving--Spirit of Atlanta. They placed 3rd in prelims and came within a point of winning the title, all in the year Jim Ott was tragically killed. To me, that is a huge accomplishment. I also saw them live for the first time in 1980 and "Let It Be Me" blew me away.

• Like 1

2 classic storybook endings:

A) 1975 Hawthorne ( NJ ) Muchachos had a genuine shot at the DCI Title, but after their Prelims performance, they were disqualified for Finals participation for marching an overage member all season long when it was brought to the attention of DCI leadership by another Corps.

B) 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard had 2 overage marchers that marched all season long as well. SCV reported the illegal all season long participation by the 2 to DCI after their Semi's performance. DCI allowed SCV to compete the following nite at Finals minus the 2, and SCV won themselves the DCI Title for 1989.

Both storybrook endings, imo. After the Hawthorne Muchachos were DQ from DCI Finals in '75, they were never the same, and went downhill quickly ( 21st in '76 ), then disbanded altogether in '77. SCV, by contrast, has survived well these 2 contrasting storybook endings to their respective seasons with their use of overage marchers during the DCI competition season.

Edited by BRASSO

2 classic storybook endings:

A) 1975 Hawthorne ( NJ ) Muchachos had a genuine shot at the DCI Title, but after their Prelims performance, they were disqualified for Finals participation for marching an overage member all season long when it was brought to the attention of DCI leadership by another Corps.

B) 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard had 2 overage marchers that marched all season long as well. SCV reported the illegal all season long participation by the 2 to DCI after their Semi's performance. DCI allowed SCV to compete the following nite at Finals minus the 2, and SCV won themselves the DCI Title for 1989.

Both storybrook endings, imo. After the Hawthorne Muchachos were DQ from DCI Finals in '75, they were never the same, and went downhill quickly ( 21st in '76 ), then disbanded altogether in '77. SCV, by contrast, has survived well these 2 contrasting storybook endings to their respective seasons with their use of overage marchers during the DCI competition season.

This is an interesting piece of history. Anyone interested in reading through previous discussion threads on the '89 SCV and '75 Muchachos corps will be able to find it.

I don't think history would have been altered if the Muchachos would have competed. A look at corpsreps seems to indicate that Madison had the upper hand in the scoring column. The last show Hawthorne has scores for was in Boston on August 11th (CYO). 1st was Madison at 90.55 to Muchachos at 88.70. What would have happened if the Muchachos were not disqualified is BD would have had to wait one more year before achieving their first top 3 finish. In 1975 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, DCI Finals, 8/16: 1st Madison 92.50; 2nd SCV 91.00; 3rd BD 88.60

In 1989, SCV was the favorite. In Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, SCV scored a 97.00 to PR's 96.9. BD was 3rd at 95.20. In Semi's, SCV widened the gap to 98.20 to PR's 96.9. By finals night, it was SCV 98.8; PR 98.4; Cavies 97.20.

Thank you corpsreps!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

This is an interesting piece of history. Anyone interested in reading through previous discussion threads on the '89 SCV and '75 Muchachos corps will be able to find it.

I don't think history would have been altered if the Muchachos would have competed. A look at corpsreps seems to indicate that Madison had the upper hand in the scoring column. The last show Hawthorne has scores for was in Boston on August 11th (CYO). 1st was Madison at 90.55 to Muchachos at 88.70. What would have happened if the Muchachos were not disqualified is BD would have had to wait one more year before achieving their first top 3 finish. In 1975 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, DCI Finals, 8/16: 1st Madison 92.50; 2nd SCV 91.00; 3rd BD 88.60

In 1989, SCV was the favorite. In Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, SCV scored a 97.00 to PR's 96.9. BD was 3rd at 95.20. In Semi's, SCV widened the gap to 98.20 to PR's 96.9. By finals night, it was SCV 98.9; PR 98.4; Cavies 97.20.

Thank you corpsreps!

All true. However you miss my central point here... the application of Disqualifications., Yesterday we had the NCAA select the 65 College Basketball teams for a run for the College Basketball Div.1 Championship Title. if one of those qualifying teams found out this morning... themselves... that they had inadvertently and unknowingly utilized 2 ineligible players all season, then told this to the NCAA today of this, what are the chances that team would be able to go forward to compete now for the Title, minus the 2 illegal players anyway ? If you reply " Zero Chance " of that team being allowed by the NCAA to continue, you would be absolutely correct, imo. Furthermore, there is no youth competition, or sport, that I am aware of that would allow a team to compete for the Championship after having .. even unknowingly... the utilization of ineligible competitors in the run up early season competitions to the Championships. SCV was able to do so however in '89, because, lets face it., they were DCI pedigree, and they had enormous political leverage as their Corps Director at the time ( Gayle Royer ) was one of the Founders of DCI itself. So they were not DQ'ed, and so that was that ( and they then went on to win the title at Championships despite the use of ineligible competitors for every competition that year except the Finals Night competition). '75 Muchachos used illegal competitors, but they were not DCI pedigree as in '75 DCI was only a few years into its inaugural beginnings. The Hawthorne Muchachos in '75 were DQ'ed ( as they should have been, imo ). SCV in 89 was not DQ'ed however for essentially the identical offense, ie use of overage, illegal, marchers all season long ( as SCV should have been, imo. )Politics is life, and its important for the young to understand in this world its influences, imo. This way, going in, you understand the real lay of the land, and can navigate it accordingly, and understand how things sometimes play out in the real world, and hopefully be in a position someday to exert political leverage for either themselves or on behalf of an organization one represents too. That could be the positive message and lesson here for all going forward, despite the curious and unprecedented decision to allow SCV to go forward for the Championship in '89 after they came forward to DCI mere hours before the Finals of their season long use of illegal competitors in their competitions that season. Were these 2 classic " storyteller " endings to a season that will live on ? I'd say so. So long as we still have fans to tell the stories for posterity's sake, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1