Greatest Storytale Ending in DCI History

But all that said, would any youth sport, or any other youth competition organization anywhere in the world allow a team that had... yes, even unknowingly... utilized ineligible competitors during the competition season, be allowed to continue on in the Championships after that information of the illegal use of competitors during the competition season came to light ? ( as in the case of SCV in '89 were allowed to do by DCI at Championships ? ) Not a chance. Absolutely no chance whatsoever, imo. ......

We're forgetting what may be an even more famous or infamous disqualification for the same reason as Muchachos in 1975, that of the 1977 Bridgemen. In the summer of 1977 I was only 14 so I had no idea of DCI politics, but as the years have passed and I've heard stories from those who marched with Bridgemen and those who marched against them, it does sound political. Of course the key difference is owning up to it prior to being caught, which is what SCV did in 1989.

Regarding other youth organizations, without naming names, they have not always investigated age related issues. Sometimes they do, and come down hard, but there have been claims by so,e it has been inconsistent. Most likely DCI is not alone.

Not to get dark, but I'd say SCV 1999 had a storybook ending; to go from their uber tragic Spring to coming-from-behind and winning/tying for DCI Championship is pretty special.

Heck, we could say the late 1990's was the SCV Storybook Ending to the early/mid-90's. GR retiring and then passing away, Dr. Len taking over and trying to change up several things that didn't quite sit well with alumni and thus his first year as Director the corps started the season (1993) extremely below their standards (1993, especially percussion, could also be in the running for great 'Storybook Ending' on its own), the corps kind of settled between late summer 1993-1995, 1996 saw change in Director & staff that was meant to push SCV back to glory years, 1997 the corps roared back into Top 3 with a classic SCV show, 1998 saw the corps compete for Championship and beat Blue Devils Finals week for the first time in years (and the corps won percussion with a group of members who could not only drum VERY well but also knew how to have fun in Montreal :ninja::satisfied: ), and then overcoming tragedy to win DCI in 1999.

I am not aware. What tragedy befell SCV in spring 1999?

My favorite end-of-season site happened a day after the Bloomington Finals.

One of the Santa Clara busses made it all the way to the entrance of the Indianapolis airport, then was abandoned in the median.

This was back when the airport access was immediately west of I-465.

The poor bus looked like it had gone through a long season, yet resting elegantly, tipped slightly to one side, smack dab where EVERYONE entering the airport grounds could witness it.

• Like 2

I think it's out there on the tube of yous....

I found a judges tape from the box, but that was as close as I could get.

We're forgetting what may be an even more famous or infamous disqualification for the same reason as Muchachos in 1975, that of the 1977 Bridgemen. In the summer of 1977 I was only 14 so I had no idea of DCI politics, but as the years have passed and I've heard stories from those who marched with Bridgemen and those who marched against them, it does sound political. Of course the key difference is owning up to it prior to being caught, which is what SCV did in 1989.

Regarding other youth organizations, without naming names, they have not always investigated age related issues. Sometimes they do, and come down hard, but there have been claims by so,e it has been inconsistent. Most likely DCI is not alone.

IIRC, the B'men issue was one more of rules iterp...did it mean no one who was overage by finals, or at ANY time during the season?

B-men interpreted it as members could march until they hit 21, and then they were done...DCI did it from ANY point in the season....so unless you turned 21 the day after finals, you were out.

IIRC, the B'men issue was one more of rules iterp...did it mean no one who was overage by finals, or at ANY time during the season?

B-men interpreted it as members could march until they hit 21, and then they were done...DCI did it from ANY point in the season....so unless you turned 21 the day after finals, you were out.

The irony is that just about ALL the top Corps in the 60's, 70's had overage marchers in one or more of their years. Some Corps had marchers several years over the age limit too. It was known by just about everyone back then that did not have their head stuck in the sand too. For example, De La Salle Oakland- Crusaders were a College based Drum Corps from Canada. If you were a student at their college there, you were allowed to march, and the Canadian Drum Corps Circuit allowed you to march.... even if you were a student of 24, 25. It was not uncommon then for this Corps to have a few marchers over the age of 21. The fact the overage marchers then came south and competed in DCI for a portion of the season was no issue to them, nor to DCI either. DCI selected who they wanted to put the hammer down on and DQ for the use of overage members, despite the fact that every section of the US ( North, South, East & West ) and Canada had Corps everybody back then knew was probably marching overage members of one degree or another. However, all the Corps in DCI that were DQ'ed for the use of overage members came from Corps based at the time solely in the Northeast of the US ( Bridgemen, Crossmen, Muchachos). That sure seemed curious to some at the time. But again, politics is something you want to be on the right side of, as being on the wrong side of politics thats being played out can be quite damaging. These 3 Corps were on the wrong side of the politics being played out off the field back then, and so they paid the price. The lesson to be learned here, imo, is making sure then that your Corps plays the game of DCI politics off the field as well as, or better than, it plays the games of competition on the field of competition.

Edited by BRASSO

The irony is that just about ALL the top Corps in the 60's, 70's had overage marchers in one or more of their years. Some Corps had marchers several years over the age limit too. It was known by just about everyone back then that did not have their head stuck in the sand too. For example, De La Salle Oakland- Crusaders were a College based Drum Corps from Canada. If you were a student at their college there, you were allowed to march, and the Canadian Drum Corps Circuit allowed you to march.... even if you were a student of 24, 25. It was not uncommon then for this Corps to have a few marchers over the age of 21. The fact the overage marchers then came south and competed in DCI for a portion of the season was no issue to them, nor to DCI either. DCI selected who they wanted to put the hammer down on and DQ for the use of overage members, despite the fact that every section of the US ( North, South, East & West ) and Canada had Corps everybody back then knew was probably marching overage members of one degree or another. However, all the Corps in DCI that were DQ'ed for the use of overage members came from Corps based at the time solely in the Northeast of the US ( Bridgemen, Crossmen, Muchachos). That sure seemed curious to some at the time. But again, politics is something you want to be on the right side of, as being on the wrong side of politics thats being played out can be quite damaging. These 3 Corps were on the wrong side of the politics being played out off the field back then, and so they paid the price. The lesson to be learned here, imo, is making sure then that your Corps plays the game of DCI politics off the field as well as, or better than, it plays the games of competition on the field of competition.

This is 100% true knowing both sides of the aisle in 2 of the 3 examples.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

However, all the Corps in DCI that were DQ'ed for the use of overage members came from Corps based at the time solely in the Northeast of the US ( Bridgemen, Crossmen, Muchachos). That sure seemed curious to some at the time.

Maybe Tony Schlechta was still working behind the scenes.