Blue Devils 2016

Forgive me if this question has been asked already, but I'd rather no scroll through 600+ posts....

What is the deal with the Rammstein-esque guttural voice about 5 minutes in? Are there any discernible lyrics? It sounds demonic at worst, and grotesque at best. In no way would I give it a pass as mere artistic license/expression.

It's only June. Brasso's post may be out front right now, but there are a lot of good posters here with plenty of time to make up the difference.

Besides, we haven't seen the recaps.

Good point and correct. Best post so far this season. Of course IMO.

I really have to give kudos to the Blue Devils for the sheer cleverness and originality that they show us constantly in this activity.

For just one example, BD has won some recent titles for themselves in no small part with some outstanding and highly creative staging of their performers in their shows in recent years. Just when other Corps have begun to copy this platform staging model visually, BD, almost anticipating this, decides this year to go in another refreshing direction. Say what we will with the 2016 BD show, but it is almost devoid of large props now, nor does it relie as much on platform staging of their performers. That visual aspect has been toned down significantly this year.

What I am seeing from the Blue Devils this year, is a much much more musical creative show than I have recently heard from them. Melody and harmony are back with BD in this season's offerings. The chop and bop brass arrangements a thing of the past. The songs are longer in length . I like this. A lot. No Corps is more effectively utilizing the now approved trombones better than the Blue Devils, imo. The sound is not as artificially created as with others, and when the sound machines are utilized it is not overdone, nor obtrusive volume wise. The trombone sound has allowed BD to drop down in pitch some of their song endings in a most appealing manner to me. The sound of the trombones provides a richness, depth, to the sound of the other instruments that works well for them. This is my most favorite Musical show from the Blue Devils in many a year for me. I have been very critical of BD in the past for some of their music they've played.. even years when they have won. But this years brass arrangements, coupled with the well coordinated percussion arrangements with the music, makes for a highly enjoyable show from them this year with me. I believe that the post season DVD's, Blurays of this season's 2016 show will be a hit with these fine music arrangements with most unbiased Drum Corps fans too. And I thought I'd just come onto the Blue Devils thread today and let you guys here know this.

In fact, it seems they have added MORE big stages, but at least at this point have moved them to the back of the show, and doubled them as banner holders (currently with no banners). I personally hate it when corps put stages in the front of the show, it is so distracting and hurts the overall sound projection.

There is no question BD can play the **** out of any music put in front of them. But to me (and I am not a recent marcher) this show just looks and feels like another version of the past three shows. Doesn't mean it's not technically great, or not fun to watch, but I feel tired of their direction. (FWIW, I was bored with Ink until near the end of the season, and except for that K-pop segment -- which btw they cut out of the season premiere show -- it's one of my all time favorites now.)

I do find it pretty interesting that they may now be considered more "old school" versus Bluecoats and maybe even Crown. I don't say that as a criticism, just interesting how times change.

Looks like BD has implemented a few changes.

• "The Devils are here.." line at the beginning is no longer a pre-recorded voice over. Someone is narrating it. It could be just a placeholder though. Sounds kinda cheesy though especially in an obviously fake British accent lol
  • New body movement throughout the whole show.
  • New transition between Ariel section and JB dance section. There's new prerecorded lines from Tempest. "Oh, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world. That has such people in ... " Better introduces this section. I like it.
  • JB dance section drill has been completely rewritten. Looks better staged. Less awkward. More unified look with the dancing stuff.
  • Fewer electronic beats during this section. You can hear pit a lot more.
  • Trombone glissandos are different, less erratic during the end of this section.
  • Ballad slightly changed. More complex it sounds like. Horn solo slightly different.
  • More featured pit licks towards the end after they reprise the Cape Fear theme.
  • Ending still the same.
Edited by gabe211
  • Like 1

Forgive me if this question has been asked already, but I'd rather no scroll through 600+ posts....

What is the deal with the Rammstein-esque guttural voice about 5 minutes in? Are there any discernible lyrics? It sounds demonic at worst, and grotesque at best. In no way would I give it a pass as mere artistic license/expression.

Before the dance section? They're quotes from Caliban speaking to Prospero. "This island is mine.." I think the full quote from the book is "This island’s mine, by Sycorax my mother, Which thou takest from me."

It's good not to get cocky. As we all know, Brasso has some cleaning to do.

True... 'never want to peak too early either.

Looking forward to seeing it develop regardless of my initial impression. Was pretty obvious on Stanford it was a mere shell of the finished product, even more so than usual from them. No shows outside that exhibition this week, and you know they weren't relaxing.

Looks like BD has implemented a few changes.

• JB dance section drill has been completely rewritten. Looks better staged. Less awkward. More unified look with the dancing stuff.

Oh, thank goodness. They needed that change severely.