Blue Devils 2016

just watched a scope of BD in pasadena.

i love the music for this show, and the changes to the props and choreography in the jb section are very nice.

but again, love the music. truly melodic in the ballad and closer. i'm going to have that gorgeous little tune stuck in my head all summer.

the percussion and guard features are phenomenal, too.

impressive,

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

Ok, I'll start us off.

...I was wrong about the preview performance. Shaming myself as a BD fan. I'm blown away by how much this show has changed in the last few weeks.

• Like 3

I'm a little emotional, tbh. watching the leaked videos this year is pretty unique - the crowd seems unusually into and vocally entertained by BD this season, and that's not really so common, even for shows I know people liked. I used to feel a little bad for them, in years like Through a Glass Darkly, re:Rite, even 1930 sometimes - very well-designed, intellectually stimulating but not crowd-pleasing shows that didnt get the throwing babies reactions at the big crowd-pleasing moments. I loved the shows anyway, but still.

I think they've really tried, despite some persistent complaints, to find a balance between entertaining people and pushing the envelope with potentially alienating designs. They've really nailed it this year. Bravo.

• Like 1

This show is gonna a beast by August.

I can't wait to see all the babies get thrown at finals during that trombone gliss feature in the opener.

• Like 1

I can't wait to see all the babies get thrown at finals during that trombone gliss feature in the opener.

Agreed. I think the ballad is gonna have alot of watery eyes at finals too.

I too saw the Rose Bowl show on Periscope, and I feel like this is just anothe BD show. Now they are always going to March and play well, but I don't get or care about the story line despite the all too overbearing narration. Fair or not, this show continues to have a too familiar feel in every way. Doesn't mean it won't score well, but I feel like I don't really want or need to see this show again.

JMHO

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

I watched on periscope and unlike the post above can't wait to see this again! Now that everybody is moving towards what BD did the last 2 years they found a way to change it up to stay fresh. They are the innovators in the activity and the just March and play so #### well!

Honest question: what feels fresh to you about this show?

Is it mandatory for every BD show, regardless of theme, to have a tear jerker balled and a "surprising" dance break out? I give them enormous kudos as an organization, they are the gold standard, but why can't BD do something truly surprising and creative? Seems they have found their formula and are riding it until it no longer gets awarded. Which is their right, but I would love to see kids go to see shows and see BD do something like Coats, Crown or even Cadets. Or heck, Vanguard. All four of those shows are more unpredictable and exciting to watch, imho.

Honest question: what feels fresh to you about this show?

Is it mandatory for every BD show, regardless of theme, to have a tear jerker balled and a "surprising" dance break out? I give them enormous kudos as an organization, they are the gold standard, but why can't BD do something truly surprising and creative? Seems they have found their formula and are riding it until it no longer gets awarded. Which is their right, but I would love to see kids go to see shows and see BD do something like Coats, Crown or even Cadets. Or heck, Vanguard. All four of those shows are more unpredictable and exciting to watch, imho.

Every single person has #####ed and complained the last 2 years about them staging and dancing. Now you lok at 95% of corps that is what they are doing. They have cleaned up the field and have moved back to nice drill and hauling ###. As I read on the coats page "it's drumline with brass accompaniment" this show gives you all the marbles all the time. I believe (my opinion worth absolutely nothing unless you like me) that BDs music is more accessible and more entertaining. Their shows are not shows they are produnction that put you on an 11 minute journey which is why I like story shows compared to concept shows. Concept shows have a repetitive nature (WGI shows are notorious for this) where a storyline will stay fresh as long as you develop it. Just ny thoughts but everyone enjoys shows differently.

Side note - BD, SCV, Crown, and Cadets shows all grab my attention and I love them.

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 2