LGBT laws and drum corps?

I would agree with you completely BUT have a question.

What if a significant amount of young people who ARE affected by such things stand up and say NO! period. In our activity there is a huge amount of people today who would support their friends ( or themselves )

I'm not sure what you are asking. Say no to whom? What is the relationship to DCI?

A few pages back, this would have been on topic, but now I'm not so sure. But, anyhow....

Re: All male Corps: Does Madison and the Cavies have an Explorer Scout connection that many Corps do? It's been decades since I was involved in Scouting, but would that help explain why they can continue to stay male? Probably things have changed since BITD. Just wondering.

Well of course.. thats because for the simple reason that there are far, Far more Republican and Democrat Congressmen (and Congresswoman) than Transgenders in the Country.

WTF? Are you serious? You can't possibly be...

I'm not sure what you are asking. Say no to whom? What is the relationship to DCI?

Sorry, I wasnt clear. What i meant was members of a corps wanting to support NOT supporting a place or a sense of non inclusiveness.

When this came up in the past ( or sim. )and as one who has been involved in the audition process for many years I actually was shocked with some potential members asking what the corps views were on LGBT etc etc. This would have never happened in the past. Young people today in my experience are very different than we may have been bitd.

So maybe I'm speaking more generally on the broader subject and trying to keep it within the activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

I would agree with you completely BUT have a question.

What if a significant amount of young people who ARE affected by such things stand up and say NO! period.

Say " No " to what ? What is the question ? I would imagine that before we ask anyone... young people especially... to respond to something, we ask them a question. In this case of the North Carolina Law... using the law as written as an example, just what is the question that you are preposing that the young be asked ?

The North Carolina law that we are discussing here, reduced to its most fundamental tenet, simply requires a person with a male anatomical part utilize the Men's room, not the Women's room. Are you asking the vast majority of young people to " stand up and say " NO! " to a man who self selects himself as a woman ( transgender ) on whether or not he can use the women's locker room or women's locker room ? Or are we saying the majority of young people in the country should be asked to stand up and say " YES ! " to a man who self selects themselves as a women to use the women's locker room and women's rest rooms ?

Edited by BRASSO

Say " No " to what ? What is the question ? I would imagine that before we ask anyone... young people especially... to respond to something, we ask them a question. In this case of the North Carolina Law... using the law as written as an example, just what is the question that you are preposing that the young be asked ?

The North Carolina law that we are discussing here, reduced to its most fundamental tenet, simply requires a person with a male anatomical part utilize the Men's room, not the Women's room. Are you asking the young people to " stand up and say " NO! " to a man who self selects himself as a woman ( transgender ) that he can not use the women's locker room or women's locker room ? Or are we saying they should stand up and say " YES ! " to a man who self selects themselves as a women to use the women's locker room and women's rest rooms ?

I think maybe i was trying to respond to this part of the posters comment about dci

it would be wrong for me to demand that DCI take some action that may not represent the opinions of every single one of its members who, last I checked, are individuals and should be respected as such. DCI should be there for the welfare of its members, not to do their thinking for them.

I would agree noone should do the thinking for anyone BUT as I said I wonder IF a number of young people

( as I have had some ask ) what position does a corps have on a given subject. I do believe MAYBE in the future we all do have to take some kind of a stand if only to say we are inclusive, protect, respect etc etc. all.

SKevinP

Edited by GUARDLING

There have been more instances of crimes committed in bathrooms by Republican congressmen and senators than there have by transgender folks.

I'll add bathroom crime to the list if things you are an expert on. And since there are far too many to remember, from now on I will just think of you as "the bathroom guy".

I'll add bathroom crime to the list if things you are an expert on. And since there are far too many to remember, from now on I will just think of you as "the bathroom guy".

Yea, because reading the news is hard, yo.

WTF? Are you serious? You can't possibly be...

Ok, there was a bit of hyperbole.

To be more accurate, the percentage of the population in the US that is defined as" transgender" is approx. .003%. There are some organizations that state its higher ( in the .005 % to 1.5% range ) So when we are discussing whether or not a man who self selects themselves as a woman should have the right to use the women's locker room and women's rest rooms in the schools and in our offices, etc we might want to keep in mind that we are talking about a law in North Carolina that is trying to come to grips with the need to address an issue that directly effects the wishes of approx .003% - 1.5% of the population and upon which is expected ( without this law ) to make the 98.5%- 99.9% have to adjust their perceptions as to who will be utilizing the next stall, next urinal, and next shower head beside them from now on. The issue has not been put to a vote in North Carolina ( bad PR, bad policy ), This is an issue that the voters of the country should ultimately decide, imo as afterall it will effect them, far more than the politicians who pushed this bill into law. Most of them have private showers, private executive washrooms, private lockers, etc in their state legislatures where this issue will not effect them as much as the public at large.

Edited by BRASSO