Scenario: Pick one video clip that showcases to a noob what DC is all

They were not alone.

I get the feeling that Tilt was wildly successful for two audiences: A) Those who are familiar with the activity and were blindsided with the sheer innovativeness of the show, and B) Those who are fans of that type of music outside of DCI who saw the show and got hooked on drum corps. But for those outside those audiences it was probably not as addictive to watch.

I get the feeling that Tilt was wildly successful for two audiences: A) Those who are familiar with the activity and were blindsided with the sheer innovativeness of the show, and B) Those who are fans of that type of music outside of DCI who saw the show and got hooked on drum corps. But for those outside those audiences it was probably not as addictive to watch.

Yea. My kids loved Hymn of Acxiom (they asked to play it as a side tune last year, which we did). The pitch bend they thought was lame...I explained it came off much better live.

I wouldn't show them anything after say 2005. But then I'd be lying because if they went to a show they'd have to put up with all the stupid synths and sampling and stuff.

Edited by SFZFAN

I did this the other day. Showed them the end of Phantom 2008, Crown 2016, Cadets 2011, 2000, 1998, 1997, Blue Devils 1996, 1998, 2003, Bluecoats 2014.

I'd probably stay away from any show where you have to give them a primer on the concept. It has to be something that's just visually and musically appealing on it's own. I've showed the 2011 Cadets closer to some people that are borderline tone deaf and had no clue what DCI is all about. I didn't even tell them what the show theme was. Didn't have too. That closer is just fresh. Period.

• Like 1

Great question.

I can't decide, as retired music educator/marching arts enthusiast where to "place my eggs/basket" for JUST one video. Having exposed generations of students to what this activity is, and having first hand experience with a perennial finalist before age out, I guess in my later years I'm torn between two:

"Hell Bent For Victory" that exemplifies so much about the activity [Troopers}, as well as '88 Suncoast-and the incredible boundaries that were broken/organization survival. As a previous poster shared-familiarity with the noob with whom you share said video dictates selection.

Yes, I'm floored by brass performances Crown/SCVCadets//BD/Bloo/etc present, SO if a musician is the noob, I lean one way [esp. since I'm trumpet]

Yes, I'm floored by drill-having written more than my eyes can tolerate!, so if the noob is visually stimulated, I'll lean that way.

Show concept/design, yet another.

Inspired late season runs, yet others....

and on, and on to ALL the great artistic elements.

jeremysbugles best of 2015 video on that site might be a "here it all is now" [& I enjoy], but I believe answering "what it is all about" as posted requires more than the what is done, but more of a story of why some did it and with what purpose.

Thank you to everyone who responded so far! I am enjoying looking at the examples you brought up and can totally see why! I'm always trying to introduce this activity to friends so it's good to have a lot of ammo.