The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Star of Indiana when they were just outside the Top 12, were not doing artsy fartsy, esoteric filled shows that confused audiences. They did audience friendly, toe tapping music shows with themes that were easy to understand for both children and adults alike. They did show on Disney Characters...Mickey Mouse, etc and so forth. Audiences loved the Star of Indiana early years shows.... and Star moved into the ranks of the Top 12 with these types of shows. If Cadets, BD, Phantom, etc did this 2016 Academy show however it would be called " cheesy ", and everybody on here knows it too ( haha!). But whenever we hear somebody say a show is filled with " cheese" 90% of the time it ironically means that the show is surely a hit with national audiences ... which this 2016 Academy show is. My unsolicited advice to Corps that don't make Finals then ( 13th-25) is to come out with a show next season and the following season that is choke full of " cheese " that audiences from coast to coast love to watch and listen too, with music arrangements that are easy to play, and are on the easy listenin' dial for people.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Gonna add onto Brasso's post with this...

After you make finals this year, don't change. Don't change your show design to the "artsy fartsy" said above. Continue with your "cheese", it's fun, these days it's original, and it's you. Don't shy away from what got you into finals.

I'm pretty sure everyone, including the haters, love this show. Don't sell out Academy. We love you just the way you are.

Edited by UKSuperman
  • Like 2

Star of Indiana when they were just outside the Top 12, were not doing artsy fartsy, esoteric filled shows that confused audiences. They did audience friendly, toe tapping music shows with themes that were easy to understand for both children and adults alike. They did show on Disney Characters...Mickey Mouse, etc and so forth. Audiences loved the Star of Indiana early years shows.... and Star moved into the ranks of the Top 12 with these types of shows. If Cadets, BD, Phantom, etc did this 2016 Academy show however it would be called " cheesy ", and everybody on here knows it too ( haha!). But whenever we hear somebody say a show is filled with " cheese" 90% of the time it ironically means that the show is surely a hit with national audiences ... which this 2016 Academy show is. My unsolicited advice to Corps that don't make Finals then ( 13th-25) is to come out with a show next season and the following season that is choke full of " cheese " that audiences from coast to coast love to watch and listen too, with music arrangements that are easy to play, and are on the easy listenin' dial for people.

Great points....but Star was NEVER out of the top 12. They debuted at 10th and never fell out of the top 12.

My unsolicited advice to Corps that don't make Finals then ( 13th-25) is to come out with a show next season and the following season that is choke full of " cheese " that audiences from coast to coast love to watch and listen too, with music arrangements that are easy to play, and are on the easy listenin' dial for people.

Similar to Boston in 2000 maybe.

Academy is definitely making finals and Bloo is gonna take the gold.

Bingo. Accessible shows designed to entertain, with at least one big 'awe' moment, not overly difficult, performed well, singable tunes - that's the model for corps wanting to move up the ladder.

To be fair, I think I get what he is saying.

They designed a show that is tailored perfectly to where the members are and is within their capabilities. Smart programming?

That was my take. Don't think it was probably their intention to come off like that.

That's my take too. Their design staff is brilliant. They gave the kids a show they could succeed with, and that's exactly what they are doing. Yes, I feel their show is a lot easier than Madison's or BAC's, but it is also a lot better designed. That is why it is, and should be, rewarded. They are performing a better show, at a better level. I love their show this year. A better designed show that is less difficult is still a better designed show.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1