Underrated Shows

Conceptually, I disagree pretty strongly about this. SCV made no effort whatsoever to explain what made it possible for their protagonist figures to escape Hell--and for that matter, once they had done so, were they souls in Heaven? Were they alive again on Earth? Were they ever dead in the first place?

I'm pretty aware that Crown 2015 was designed lightyears better.....................but I guess SCV 2011 is just a guilty pleasure show for me. Just really enjoyed it, for whatever reason. I never connected with Crown last year (sans the last 30 seconds), and for some reason I did with SCV in 2011. Never said SCV 2011 was better, per say, but I did enjoy it more. I think it's a show that got way over analyzed too, but I'm not gonna go into that again.

I'm not gonna go into debate again with my issues thematically with Crown last year. Tried doing that last year and I got mauled for it.

Edited by DrumManTx

From Santa Clara Vangard.... in 1990, the Corps placed 6th ( their lowest in a decade at the time). But I enjoyed their show " Carmen " that season far more than the judges did. Wonderful music,,, fabulous arrangements, and mostly true to the original composers too.

Yes! End of the opener, holy ****.

I'm not gonna go into debate again with my issues thematically with Crown last year. Tried doing that last year and I got mauled for it.

Amen to that. I did the same thing and thought I was going to have to enter the witness protection program.

Was just about to post this one.............haha.

It's probably absolute blasphemy to say I prefer this over Crown 2015 in terms of presentation of similar themes. I think had the hornline not been rebuilding with a staff change that year and were at the level they are now that show could have pushed much higher than it was. The improvement they made from day one in 2011 is nothing short of astounding, I remember hearing them in the theater and wondering if they were going to make the top 10. Still some brass issues end of season, but they didn't sound like a corps struggling to make finals.

2011 and 2010 are both probably my favorite drill offerings by Pete Weber, that's the definition of organic drill. All sorts of crazy stuff in there, and some pretty clever symbolism in it. That's the first Rennick year, but it sure didn't sound like it. Guard was pretty aggressive and portrayed the themes of that show to a T. The ballad "Eternal Knot" is emotionally stunning, still one I listen to a lot.

Agreed. Crown just had stronger captions but SCV was very dark and I loved it very much.

Here are 2 from 1988

Suncoast Sound - came in 10th with their show "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" (all original compositions by Robert W. Smith). The show was 20 years ahead of it's time in theme and design. Absolutely stunning. It was so different from anything else that the crowd just sort of sat there stunned, not quite believing that what they were looking at was even drum corps.

Velvet Knights - came in 8th with "Magical Mystery Tour - Part II". '92 VK is usually the corps that gets mentioned, but I think '88 was just as good. The soprano line in Zorba was off the chain. As for humor, I don't think the bullfight in Malaguena has ever been topped (I might give the fat lady in '92 a tie). The star-spangled ending is the whipped cream and cherry on top.

• Like 1

Yes! End of the opener, holy ****.

That Carmen show had one of the most powerful opening statements ever, combined with one of the most subtle and beautiful closing statements ever. Great great show.

I'd Have to go with

Crown 07- Triple Crown- Perhaps the first break through show for them that led to so many great ones. But, the horse race sequence was ingenious and also served notice they were about to be title contenders. Great music, amazing show.

Bluecoats 07- Likewise, Criminal showed a maturity in design that has only furthered over the years. Guard was fantastic. Showed us that Bluecoats were on the rise and 3 short years later would medal.

Scouts 99- I was pulling for my BK, but Scouts in front of the home crowd at finals put on one of the greatest clutch performances in history. JC Superstar was the bomb- BK was amazing that year, Scouts were better that night!

I'd Have to go with

Crown 07- Triple Crown- Perhaps the first break through show for them that led to so many great ones. But, the horse race sequence was ingenious and also served notice they were about to be title contenders. Great music, amazing show.

Bluecoats 07- Likewise, Criminal showed a maturity in design that has only furthered over the years. Guard was fantastic. Showed us that Bluecoats were on the rise and 3 short years later would medal.

Scouts 99- I was pulling for my BK, but Scouts in front of the home crowd at finals put on one of the greatest clutch performances in history. JC Superstar was the bomb- BK was amazing that year, Scouts were better that night!

I'm with you on BK 99. Their quarterfinals run was something special. I remember sitting there with my mouth hanging open. Just beautiful. 5th place after quarters. I think they peaked that night. Finished in 7th place at finals.

• Like 1

A couple of recent ones, off the top of my head:

2006 Boston Crusaders, "Cathedrals of the Mind." Just an enjoyable show with a nice storyline, all brought together with the cathedral columns joining at the end.

2014 Blue Stars, "Where The Heart Is." The "build a home" show. Great fun with a quirky twist or two... and the color guard was fantastic!!! They really helped sell the show.

That Carmen show had one of the most powerful opening statements ever, combined with one of the most subtle and beautiful closing statements ever. Great great show.

I heartily agree. The baritone sound from that era of Vanguard was something very special.