Alternate Spots/Taking advantage of kids

Just curious what the consensus is on alternate sports.Would you take an alternate spot and pay full fees?

For example, the Cavaliers have 5 trumpet alternates this season.They had two spots open up, but instead of pulling from the five alternates, they advertised for trumpet players on facebook. If you were one of the alternates who paid full price would you be ok with that? What is their responsibility to the alternates who thought they had a chance to march?

Edited by notanoldtimer

Just curious what the consensus is on alternate sports.Would you take an alternate spot and pay full fees?

For example, the Cavaliers have 5 trumpet alternates this season.They had two spots open up, but instead of pulling from the five alternates, they advertised for trumpet players on facebook. If you were one of the alternates who paid full price would you be ok with that? What is their responsibility to the alternates who thought they had a chance to march?

file this under "much more to this story"

• Like 4

Maybe the alternates are for certain parts and say a lead got injured. You don't want to put a 3rd player in for what used to be a upper split lead. Now if they filled a spot when an alternate is capable I think that's dumb and would leave.

this was the OP and their FIRST POST

FIRST POST ALERT!!! FIRST POST ALERT!!!

• Like 1

Long story short.

There are as many different policies as there are corps.

Some inform the alternates from the start that a position may never automatically be found.

Some corps don't keep alternates believing that the kid should have a chance to march somewhere if not there.

Some corps do charge (as the kids do travel and eat), some discount, some negotiate.

Cavaliers do not have a reputation for being unfair to their MMs. In fact, they consider the membership as a brotherhood and have a many decade history of striving for the best for their members.

Over the years I have had an excellent relationship with the administration, faculty, and membership some years even travelling part of the year with them. Haven't done that in recent years due to changes in my life, not theirs.

I too suspect there is more to this story.

You get the same instruction, travel, food, and experience as any other member. Also you get a leg up on how the corps works for the next season.

You also are a member of whatever corps. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I know many high school and college bands have alternates. It's up to the individual.

If I was able to be an alternate for The Cavaliers in any position I would take it. There is still a shot at marching during that season. Not just that, but if I were an alternate I would continue to practice my instrument and marching technique just in case.

this was the OP and their FIRST POST

FIRST POST ALERT!!! FIRST POST ALERT!!!

Please indicate when a post such as this is acceptable. Is it perhaps after a pre-determined number of posts at which the poster will be determined to merit a response once the coffee-clutch DCP regulars think it's ok?

• Like 4