Why aren't woodwinds allowed in DCI?

Before DCI adopted amplification and moved inside (for most big shows), it was relatively easy to defend instrumentation being all bell-front brass instruments in the same key designed to project outdoors. These days, it's almost impossible to justify disallowing featuring any instrument at all.

Part of me wishes DCI started a separate division like SoundSport, but with '90s DCI rules, just to gauge interest. Who knows, maybe performers would have utterly zero interest. But those types of ensembles were so unique it's a shame we don't get to see them anymore, especially with talent levels as high as they are now.

If DCI continues to move in the way of WGI, the days of bell-front instruments will be forever lost. Enjoyed Cadets show last night, but the site of a violin on the field...hmm. Edited by drumcorpsfever

Question: if some corps, some year, were to choose to do an all-Scottish inspired show...would bagpipes be allowed? (I was going to say an "all-Scotch" inspired show....but we'd be talking about two entirely different matters, wouldn't we??)

Edited by HornTeacher

Absolutely correct, but strangely most marching bands play, with woodwinds, in worse weather than most drum corps.

Yep -- but the pads take a beating.

Before BOA which (as I recall) emphasizes equal participation from brass and WW, I remember some HS performances where the weather was iffy deciding to leave the WWs on the bus and just march the dots with the brass. But this was many years ago where their absence to the sound (due to the brass heavy arrangements) isn't near as noticeable as it would be today.

Question: if some corps, some year, were to choose to do an all-Scottish inspired show...would bagpipes be allowed? (I was going to say an "all-Scotch" inspired show....but we'd be talking about two entirely different matters, wouldn't we??)

“May you be afflicted with the itch but have no nails to scratch with”

• Like 1

I can only tell you HornTeacher, and in no uncertain terms, that the last straw for me with DCI, is if they someday allow Bagpipers on " all scotch ", to compete in DCI competition.

I could just imagine the horror with the narration and/ or singing portion of their show, you know what I'm sayin' ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

i still have nightmares about bagpipes.

every year at the va military tattoo, it seemed like we did "time to say goodbye" with about 300 bagpipers. it was excruciating.

It was just reported earlier today on CNN that Great Britain decided to continue to allow undocumented refugees into their country, but instead has decided to put a temporary ban on the immigration of any more Scottish Bagpipers,... until such time that the Brits can figure out what to do with the ones they already have in their midst.

Because. Simply...because. And even as a long-time band director, that's good enough for me.

I agree, the answer is Because it's always been that way.

I come to Drum AND Bugle corps to see awesome brass and to have my face melted, not to listen to woodwinds like at BoA Nats (nothing wrong about those bands, they're pretty good).

And I am a woodwind player as well.

• Like 1

I am also a woodwind player who is against incorporating woodwinds into DCI. Soundsport was made for a reason

• Like 2