Stanford Showdown - DCI West

BK took so dang long to get started I felt like yelling start the show already. Then abruptly sopped which my friend noticed and she never saw DC before.

The big stand outs for me were Academy, Madison, SCV and BD Oh and Mandarins hornline wow.

There was this one soft part of the BD snares back a little at the beggining of closer and it sounded like they were close mic'd I mentioned it to Arjun after the show and he said really?

So clean!

BDB and SCVC are usually the opposite. SCVC with the better hornline and BDB with the better drumline. Tonight it was the exact opposite.

It is unacceptable for a world class drum & bugle corps to field a corps without a complete show. For the love of God, you have 7 or 8 months to prepare a corps for June competition. Get your act together.

• Like 3

It is unacceptable for a world class drum & bugle corps to field a corps without a complete show. For the love of God, you have 7 or 8 months to prepare a corps for June competition. Get your act together.

Not this again....again one could argue that every show is not complete. There were guards there tonight marching around not twirling/spinning anything...EVERY corps out there tonight will have drill changes...no one has the "finished product" yet. The finished product will be seen in Indy.

Chill out...get over it and enjoy the shows! They were all awesome - no matter how long they currently are.

Great job tonight from all corps at Stanford!!!

I think if they fix some balancing issues and a couple visual things, SCV is ABSOLUTELY due for medalling and (I think) it would definitely not be out of the question for then to beat BD.

• Like 1

Not this again....again one could argue that every show is not complete. There were guards there tonight marching around not twirling/spinning anything...EVERY corps out there tonight will have drill changes...no one has the "finished product" yet. The finished product will be seen in Indy.

Chill out...get over it and enjoy the shows! They were all awesome - no matter how long they currently are.

Great job tonight from all corps at Stanford!!!

Sorry Bass Mom, but it sounds like you are new to drum corps. DCI has put emphasis on every corps fielding a complete show right out of the gate because the fan sitting in the stands has paid full price to see a complete show.

I remember the days when corps would start June competitions with 8 minutes shows and instead of wearing full uniforms, they would wear their corps jacket. June competitions were useless to watch with half-done shows and the attendance figures matched that because fans didn't want to pay good money for half a poorly done product.

Now days corps come out with fantastic shows and performances in show one. Sure, the kids are still learning where to go in the drill and which notes to play, and lines aren't straight. But they are now full complete shows.

Shame on any full corps that isn't ready to start the season with a full show for the fans in the seats. There is NO excuse for it.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Sorry Bass Mom, but it sounds like you are new to drum corps. DCI has put emphasis on every corps fielding a complete show right out of the gate because the fan sitting in the stands has paid full price to see a complete show.

I remember the days when corps would start June competitions with 8 minutes shows and instead of wearing full uniforms, they would wear their corps jacket. June competitions were useless to watch with half-done shows and the attendance figures matched that because fans didn't want to pay good money for half a poorly done product.

Now days corps come out with fantastic shows and performances in show one. Sure, the kids are still learning where to go in the drill and which notes to play, and lines aren't straight. But they are now full complete shows.

Shame on any full corps that isn't ready to start the season with a full show for the fans in the seats. There is NO excuse for it.

Hmm...last I checked no competition comes close to Championships prices. If you think about it, maybe every show is getting a discount except Finals since no show is "complete" until then.

You do realize that while most corps start learning drill in March or April, Spring Training is where things really start happening. Some corps don't rush through it just to finish and instead make sure that what they put out there is up to the level the staff wants. If it isn't, they won't perform it. It's something that has been done for decades and won't be changing anytime soon. To those people buying tickets in June, news flash, shows are very very very premature then and might not be done. What a shock!

I felt that the time spent learning "set up" could probably be better used for learning "show." Jog out to starting positions..... start and finish the show. As weeks go on, you can add a worthy "please welcome to the field......." In fact, if you watch videos from Drum Corps Japan or Marching Bands Japan, they run to start and then run off field.