Stanford Showdown - DCI West

I really don't know. I didn't see anything unusual near the pit. It could have been. I'm not familiar with this sort of stuff. Do they plug into the stadium amps? Do corps have to use their own amps? I have no idea with sort of thing. There was nothing unusual with Mandarins before or Madison after.

Corps supply their own amps and speakers. They only rely on the venue for power, though some even have their own generators.

They were incomplete last year too.

You are correct but not this incomplete. They did score pretty good considering it was only maybe 1/3rd complete. The talent is there. Loved last years show but not sure about this one. But I did feel the same way about their show a few years ago and I was like "WOW" at finals. The was the Firebird show.

Well, if it never effected them last year in any manner either, why are we not surprised ?

The real question is, why are we surprised?

You are correct but not this incomplete. They did score pretty good considering it was only maybe 1/3rd complete.

Originally, I thought the Blue Knights performed only half their alloted, required time in competition. If it was only 1/3rd of their required time... and received no penalty for undertime, thats even more wrong, imo. Did they have a Timing Judge there ?

What exactly do people here think a TIMING judge does... or is supposed to do ? Maybe the show did not have a Head Judge... Timing & Penalty Judge ?

Is it now possible for a Corps to perform just one note in competition, and be judged ?.... without undertime penalties ? Well.... apparently, we do know the answer.. its " yes ".

BK went well over the allotted, prescribed time to start their show in competition last nite ( another show ) without a penalty. Does this mean then, that a future Corps could conceivably make the judges and audience wait a full hour or so before stepping off in competition with no penalty imposed ? Well, we'd have to believe so... as we can all agree here it would seem to me, that if its ok to not step off in the required allotted time without receiving a delay penalty, it really does not matter, right, as to how late the failure to step off was. Football has a " delay of game " penalty. All sports do. DCI for decades did too. Even in the pre DCI years, there were penalties imposed on Corps for not starting in competition in the prescribed time alloted after the previous Corps had finished. Why do we suppose that competitors are given " delay of game " penalties ? Why was BK not given a penalty for not starting last nite in their prescribed alloted time after the previous Corps ( the Mandarins ) had finished ? (They went WAY over their alloted time to begin their show in competition too last nite.) Or do we just accept that anything that is done in DCI is just fine and dandy with us, and we'd really prefer to leave our curiosity about things out of our minds when it comes to what is done in DCI judged competition these days ?

Edited by BRASSO

Originally, I thought the Blue Knights performed only half their alloted, required time in competition. If it was only 1/3rd of their required time... and received no penalty for undertime, thats even more wrong, imo. Did they have a Timing Judge there ?

What exactly do people here think a TIMING judge does... or is supposed to do ? Maybe the show did not have a Head Judge.

Is it now possible for a Corps to perform just one note in competition, and be judged ?.... without penalties ?

BK went well over the allotted, prescribed time to start their show in competition last nite ( asnother show ) without a penalty. Does this mean then, that a future Corps could conceivably make the judges and audience wait a full hour or so before stepping off in competition with no penalty imposed ? Well, we'd have to hope so... as we can all agree here it would seem to me, that if its ok to not step off in the required allotted time, it really does not matter, right, as to how late the failure to step off was ?

Holy ####

Or those corps who came out with 6 minutes of show, and 4 minutes of standstill in arc formation. I understand the complexity of the shows increases each year, but, that doesn't mean you should require your paying fans to lower their expectations.

You're not allowing for the fact that BK's show is so much more challenging than those of SCV and BD that no corps could have had it ready for so early in the season. As will doubtless be evident when BK wins it all in August. They'll have the last laugh then, just wait and see.

(Kidding! I really liked BK's show last night. Perhaps my favorite two-thirds of any show I've seen this year.)

• Like 1

Its makes a ton of difference if you're standing at the gate, letting your muscles and chops cool down while you watch someone else running over because they couldn't get it together.

I started watching late and was catching up all evening, so I just skipped to the start of each corps' performance and didn't notice the time between. Did BK actually go over their 17 or 18 minute window? Given that their actual performance was only 7 minutes, I would have thought that was unlikely.

I think if they fix some balancing issues and a couple visual things, SCV is ABSOLUTELY due for medalling and (I think) it would definitely not be out of the question for then to beat BD.

lol

I felt that the time spent learning "set up" could probably be better used for learning "show." Jog out to starting positions..... start and finish the show. As weeks go on, you can add a worthy "please welcome to the field......." In fact, if you watch videos from Drum Corps Japan or Marching Bands Japan, they run to start and then run off field.

I believe Japanese marching bands have just one minute from being allowed into the venue and the start of their show. It probably takes them a fair bit of rehearsal time to get those logistics right! And it would likely be impossible in North American drum corps due to electronics.

What exactly do people here think a TIMING judge does... or is supposed to do ? Maybe the show did not have a Head Judge... Timing & Penalty Judge ?

Is it now possible for a Corps to perform just one note in competition, and be judged ?.... without undertime penalties ? Well.... apparently, we do know the answer.. its " yes ".

BK went well over the allotted, prescribed time to start their show in competition last nite ( another show ) without a penalty. Does this mean then, that a future Corps could conceivably make the judges and audience wait a full hour or so before stepping off in competition with no penalty imposed ? Well, we'd have to believe so... as we can all agree here it would seem to me, that if its ok to not step off in the required allotted time without receiving a delay, it really does not matter, right, as to how late the failure to step off was. Football has a delay of game " penalty. DCI for decades did too. Even in the pre DCI years, there were penalties imposed on Corps for not starting in competition in the prescribed time alloted after the previous Corps had finished. Why do we suppose that competitors are given " delay of game " penalties ? Why was BK not given a penalty for not starting last nite in their prescribed time ? Or do we accept just anything that is done in DCI, and we really just leave our curiosity about things out of our minds when it comes to what is done in DCI these days ?

The recaps does not show who is judging or how many judges there are early on. That's probably the sign of the times. Obviously these early shows until the 2nd week of July will have limited judges (costs). From my viewing I only saw one judge on the field. I might be wrong but I saw one. Timing and penalties probably only count at large regionals and finals week.