Discussion about order of performance

Although there is SOME tradeoff with being able to hit the road earlier after performing, thus getting to the next site earlier, and get started rehearsing earlier the next day.

leaver earlier? do corps leave only their staff and drum major for retreats?

Last show I was at, the corps all pretty much left at the same time after retreat.

Last show I was at, the corps all pretty much left at the same time after retreat.

Pretty sure Surf did that last year - drum major would stay for retreat then head out with the souvenir truck or another staff transport, after the corps-proper had been long gone. Not always - but I believe that was the case at times.

Not saying I remember 100% correctly - after all, I wasn't the one on tour.

Edited by Eleran

The great college basketball coach, Eddie Fogler, was once asked if officials are biased. He has the perfect answer:

Every official knows who is supposed to win.

:-)

... and keeping with your basketball analogy, does anybody think that NCAA Basketball teams that make the NCAA Tournament don't care about their seedings and performance selection order ?

Also, ask any DCI Corps that is made to fight thru the regionals, to then make the finals there, if they wished they could have rested instead and thus not made to then have go on much earlier than the others, once having made the cut. Of course performance order has an effect to some degree on the scores, Corps receive.

Corps at Championdhips that finish 12th at Semi's, and make Finals... always....ALWAYS..... have their scores go down the following nite when they are made to then go on first at Finals. It won't matter if they might do a better performance in the Finals than in the Semi's either. Their scores are going down from the Semi's score they received, no matter what. We can take that to the bank... Some have finished 11th at Finals over their Semi's 12th place finish... but still had their scores go down from the Semi's. So of course, the fact they were made to go on 1st on Finals Night by coming in 12th at Semi's is far more disadvantageous to them than if ( for example ) a random draw with lots might allow them to go on last in the Finsls competition, and the 11th place Semi's finisher under the random draw, drew the unenviable position of having to go on 1st at Finals. I would MUCH prefer to be the 12th place corps in Semi's in this type of random draw for Finals, and go on last, as my chances are made better of topping the Corps that topped me in the Semi's in 11th, now having go on 1st at Finals with the random draw... while I get to go on last. I'll take that random draw performance order deal if I'm a 12 place Semi's Corps any day of the week than how its done now. This stuff is not rocket science to figure out here either, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

If the corps performs early enough in the show, I have seen them leave their DM and a small group of staff behind.

I marched in the "blind draw for position" days (with a DCA corps)... and, for various reasons, I like the current system better.

Edited by Fran Haring

Corps at Championdhips that finish 12th at Semi's, and make Finals... always....ALWAYS..... have their scores go down the following nite when they are made to then go on first at Finals. It won't matter if they might do a better performance in the Finals than in the Semi's either. Their scores are going down from the Semi's score they received, no matter what. We can take that to the bank...

And you think that performance order is a better explanation of this drop, rather than judges starting scores a little low in a 12 corps show that is guaranteed to have multiple top-of-box-5 performances?

Whatever the first number is that you make a judge write on finals night, she's going to err on the low side. If you make her write the champ's number first, you're just going to get a champion with something lower than the typical score. Personally, I don't believe you'd see any placement differences if DCI went to a randomized finals order - we have lots of examples of shows where DCI judges generated consistent placements from different performance orders.

And you think that performance order is a better explanation of this drop, rather than judges starting scores a little low in a 12 corps show that is guaranteed to have multiple top-of-box-5 performances?

Whatever the first number is that you make a judge write on finals night, she's going to err on the low side. If you make her write the champ's number first, you're just going to get a champion with something lower than the typical score. Personally, I don't believe you'd see any placement differences if DCI went to a randomized finals order - we have lots of examples of shows where DCI judges generated consistent placements from different performance orders.

yup -- that drop in score is "numbers mgmt"

Edited by corpsband

If the corps performs early enough in the show, I have seen them leave their DM and a small group of staff behind.

ahh ok. one real advantage to the DM only retreats, and the pre planned encores.

ahh ok. one real advantage to the DM only retreats, and the pre planned encores.

Except the poor DM tends to get less sleep. LOL

The Cadets last year played first at Winston-Salem (NightBEAT) and left right after performing. Hopkins was pretty vocal about that (meaning "unhappy" and that it possibly breaks momentum from previous night??). This year's NightBEAT schedule seems about right and giving the nod that it is a home show for Crown (maybe SCV on first is out of place though). Should be based as the most recent regional and the home corp should play last for home fan value.