American Tradition II: Clifton (June 30, 2016)

Just to clarify: I think DCI might be throwing out Surf's score. It doesn't appear on their site or on the recaps. I saw it on the win.nr app:

http://m.imgur.com/4NwK9jV

Interestingly the win.nr app doesn't seem to be available in the app store anymore.

I enjoy getting my updated scores of the Corps from Corps Scores. Thanks for this apparent Corps non Score, Corps Score !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It's times like this that I remember competing at the U.S. Open in Marion, OH in 1977. The skies opened up just as we started. I can still remember the sight of the rain bouncing off the bell of the baritone and how heavy my uniform got with water. After the show, we had to hang our wet uniforms in the bus and leave town. The bus was humid with wet uniforms all the way to our next destination.

No one stopped us from performing. Our score stood and we came in 2nd to a corps that performed when it wasn't raining.

Dinosaur stuff.

• Like 2

It's times like this that I remember competing at the U.S. Open in Marion, OH in 1977. The skies opened up just as we started. I can still remember the sight of the rain bouncing off the bell of the baritone and how heavy my uniform got with water. After the show, we had to hang our wet uniforms in the bus and leave town. The bus was humid with wet uniforms all the way to our next destination.

No one stopped us from performing. Our score stood and we came in 2nd to a corps that performed when it wasn't raining.

Dinosaur stuff.

The Racine Kilties performed in a Lowell, Ma show in the mid 70's where right in the middle of their performance the stadiums sprinklers system went off all around them. Gushes of water flying everywhere at them from every conceivable direction. Audience inititial laughter turned to respect and applause as the Corps did not flinch in the least and performed as if firehoses would not stop them this nite..... also, dinosaur stuff.

• Like 1

Bad things about tonight:

• Didn't get to see Crossmen, Boston, Phantom, Bluecoats or Cadets perform
  • Not just drenched for nearly an hour in the rain (not under cover) but also smacked in the head by hail for a good 5-10 minutes - ouch, and COLD!
  • Lost my cell phone

Good things about tonight:

• saw from behind the end-zone the final ensemble full run by Cadets before they broke off - and they sounded so good
  • saw Spartans, Raiders and Surf (the latter two of which my son marched with previously) from the 50 yard line, and was very pleased with their shows
  • got to spend a half-hour or so with my son after it was all done (and hand him off a few supplies)
  • someone found my phone and turned it in to a Cadets volunteer from whom I got it back safe and sound, and even dry - my ENDLESS thanks to the anonymous person who turned it in, and lucky for me that I have a picture of my son in uniform as my lock screen
  • Like 5

Bad things about tonight:

• Didn't get to see Crossmen, Boston, Phantom, Bluecoats or Cadets perform
  • Not just drenched for nearly an hour in the rain (not under cover) but also smacked in the head by hail for a good 5-10 minutes - ouch, and COLD!
  • Lost my cell phone

Good things about tonight:

• saw from behind the end-zone the final ensemble full run by Cadets before they broke off - and they sounded so good
  • saw Spartans, Raiders and Surf (the latter two of which my son marched with previously) from the 50 yard line, and was very pleased with their shows
  • got to spend a half-hour or so with my son after it was all done (and hand him off a few supplies)
  • someone found my phone and turned it in to a Cadets volunteer from whom I got it back safe and sound, and even dry - my ENDLESS thanks to the anonymous person who turned it in, and lucky for me that I have a picture of my son in uniform as my lock screen

Oh you don't wanna know about MY bad stuff tonight....

I had to travel from the DC area back home to Boston. I almost stopped at Clifton, but I have an obligation on Saturday morning, and as soon I hit Delaware, I saw a huge black cloud that seemed to move north. It hadn't opened when I hit New York, but it sounds like it did with a vengeance at show time. I guess I made the right choice to continue heading home but I feel sorry for all those who got drenched. Sounds like Met Life Stadium in 2012 all over again.

The Racine Kilties performed in a Lowell, Ma show in the mid 70's where right in the middle of their performance the stadiums sprinklers system went off all around them. Gushes of water flying everywhere at them from every conceivable direction. Audience inititial laughter turned to respect and applause as the Corps did not flinch in the least and performed as if firehoses would not stop them this nite..... also, dinosaur stuff.

1974. I was there.

There's a difference between sprinklers, rain, and a thunderstorm. The Bluecoats Snapchat had lightening in the background, so it's safe to say it was unsafe for the corps to perform. I know I sure as **** wouldn't want to pack a Contra on my shoulders with lightening all around. Just saying. Lol.

Just to clarify: I think DCI might be throwing out Surf's score. It doesn't appear on their site or on the recaps. I saw it on the win.nr app:

http://m.imgur.com/4NwK9jV

Interestingly the win.nr app doesn't seem to be available in the app store anymore.

I think the clear implication is they cheated. It just seems a little suspicious that a corps called Surf wins a show as a result of a large quantity of water being dumped on its competitors.

• Like 4

Part of a Facebook post made by George this morning:

We are sad we could not complete last evening's show in in Clifton NJ. We tried.

From the first delay which seemed to work perfectly allowing the weather to clear out, the YEA! staff thought were in good shape except for that small but every powerful cell that appeared just before intermission.

We were monitoring various services and even up to 5 minute before the rain hit, the prognosis was for light rain and the bulk of the precipitation staying to the North.

Needless to say, that was not a correct forecast.

We were hoping, and the corps were hoping to begin again at 10:00 pm, but the remnants just kept on coming even as we stood on the field discussing our options

Eventually, I personally made the decision to cancel the remainder of the show do to safety concerns and the fear of damage to equipment for all corps. Such was difficult as our attendance was already down 500 due to concerns folks already had about warnings and watches communicated during the day by the National Weather Service.

Thank you to all who came out.