Cavalcade of Brass - Lisle, Illinois July 2nd.

Most would say no, but you could make the argument that poor crowd enthusiasm deflates the corps, especially after say the first tune when the marching members feel no energy for their hard work. From that point on it's possible for the corps' performance to "flatten."

So there could be some truth to this.

Overall, however, I feel scores were likely more in line with where they should be. Muncie did seem a bit inflated. Honestly, who knows what is realistic, too low, or too high at this point? With so many partial judging panels, mixed with a few full panels, and the variety of different judges seeing your show night to night, a corps will get all kinds of reads.

It's got to be tough on corps staff early in the season. They themselves know what they need to fix, change, edit, tweak. But they also get numerous opinions (mostly different) on what they should do, kind of like going to 20 doctors who can't agree on anything.

a crowd's lack of enthusiasm has little to nothing to do with the scores and placements of any of these Corps, imo.

BD has won DCI Titles where with a couple of their title winning shows received mostly just polite golf claps at the conclusion of their performances those years. There was a major enthusiasm gap,but not where it counted, with the people with the #2 pencils, and the hand held recorders. if audience " enthusiasms " counted for anything in scores and placements over the decades of DCI competitions,, the Madison Scouts would have had 4 or 5 more DCI Titles and / or medals by now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

a crowd's lack of enthusiasm has little to nothing to do with the scores and placements of any of these Corps, imo.

BD has won DCI Titles where with a couple of their title winning shows received mostly just polite golf claps at the conclusion of their performances those years. There was a major enthusiasm gap,but not where it counted, with the people with the #2 pencils, and the hand held recorders. if audience " enthusiasms " counted for anything in scores and placements over the decades of DCI competitions,, the Madison Scouts would have had 4 or 5 more DCI Titles and / or medals by now.

I will take the crowd any time.

• Like 2

I was at the DCI show last night at Boston College... HUGE crowd, for a local, non regional show too.... and there was great enthusiasms displayed there for not just the local favorite Corps performance ( BAC ) but for all the Corps performances. This crowd in Boston last nite tended to be a bit older than what DCI might find in some other locales, but the crowd really gave it up bigtime for a Corps really out there on the edge, creatively this season.... the Bluecoats. So if the Bluecoats can " sell " their 2016 show production to this veteran, Drum Corps discriminating crowd, they can enthusiastically sell it anywhere in the country this year, imo. I can't speak for Lisle, Il, as I couldn't find this midwest town on a map to save myself. But my guess, if NONE of the Corps got any enthusiasms out of a show here at this show last nite, that probably says more about the attendees at this local show, than about any of these Drum Corps that performed there last night, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Lol

What's so funny about that?

If I had a chance to march, if I had to pick between someone I know who would win or a fan favorite, I

would pick the fan favorite any time. Ideally both would be awesome, but one or the other? No contest in my eyes. I'd rather perform for the fans than pick someone I could get a ring with. You were making a big deal on the Phantom thread about not caring about how they score as long as you liked the show.......

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

What's so funny about that?

If I had a chance to march, if I had to pick between someone I know who would win or a fan favorite, I

would pick the fan favorite any time. Ideally both would be awesome, but one or the other? No contest in my eyes. You were making a big deal on the Phantom thread about not caring about how they score as long as you liked the show.......

Ah I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were in support of judging being based off of fan enthusiasm.

I agree with you otherwise, I'd go to a corps that would have plenty of fan enthusiasm over scores themselves.

I'm convinced judges don't hear the crowd at all. Sometimes I don't even think they hear the brass lines either.....

• Like 2

I'm convinced judges don't hear the crowd at all. Sometimes I don't even think they hear the brass lines either.....

I probably shouldn't say this... but this was a funny quip from you today, you rascal, you ( haha!)

• Like 1

If judges aren't considering crowd reactions as part of GE, then what is GE for? If the crowd isn't into what a corps is doing, but that corps gets a high GE score, I think that translates as a disconnect between judging and "actual" GE.

• Like 2