Cavalcade of Brass - Lisle, Illinois July 2nd.

There was no Visual Effect adjudication this evening. In the case of The Kilties at least...........no points were awarded in that caption to the corps.

Rather, that caption score was -0-. No number assigned..

That certainly had something to do with The Kilties score. Other corps? One would have to ask them since recaps are private.

I was at the show tonight, and it was an interesting crowd. I wanted to post during the show, but didn't get any service. I'm bon the train going back to Chicago so I'll try to give you my thoughts (if anyone out there wants them).

I paid the extra money and was sitting in he center section. A lot of families around who would leave after the corps of their child performed. One girl was reading a book, another on their phone, etc. So, I could understand the notion that the crowd wasn't too enthusiastic.

Regardless of the people around me, I loved it! I clapped and cheered for every corps, and was thoroughly entertained by everyone.

The scores I think came out about right. I do think the spread between Cavies and Blue Stars should be that much. I was very impressed with their show, though I would've loved to have seen some "Make DCI Great Again" propeganda/merchandise at their souvenir booth. I thought the show felt like the Cavaliers I fell in love with when I was exposed to the activity in the mid 2000's.

I don't follow the boards on here too much, so I didn't know much about Crown (other than their stagecoach) but holy cow, this show has some gold medal potential! I loved the movement by the entire corps, but really thought their guard moved well. And the trombone solo is perfect for those moments in the show.

I actually went into Blue Stars show with high hopes after what a few friends have told me. it didn't quite live up to the hype, but I still thought the corps did a great job. Although, I didn't quite get the purpose of the gold lamp lady. I might've missed her significance throughout the show. I'd like to watch it again and pay better attention. I thought he brass moved well and sounded good. I thought it was a noticeable increase of difficulty and execution from the Colts.

Colts was maybe my biggest surprise of the night. I loved their show! I do think it lacks difficulty that would be needed to make finals this year, as I thought performing after the Troopers I noticed less of a demand. That being said, I thought the corps performed amazingly. I liked the shadow effects in the boxes.

The Troopers were the only show I saw prior to tonight, from the dci Facebook live broadcast. I will say that I liked the new uniforms, and thought it was still obvious who they were (similarly, I liked the Cavies uniform too). The show I think is 75% a finalists show. I just think there are still moments of the show design that doesn't keep the attention as well as it could. Their brass is incredible, and their guard seems to have improved over the last couple of years.

Genesis and Legends both surprised me with their talent and show design. I was actually surprised with the gap in their show, as I thought they were pretty equal. Colt Cadets had a fun show, and I noticed some pretty young guard members. Kitties made me want to retire early, just to pick up a horn again and get back on the field.

I wanted to write more, by the phone is probably gonna die so I tried to rush through this while it was fresh in my mind.

• Like 5

I was at the show tonight, and it was an interesting crowd. I wanted to post during the show, but didn't get any service. I'm bon the train going back to Chicago so I'll try to give you my thoughts (if anyone out there wants them).

I paid the extra money and was sitting in he center section. A lot of families around who would leave after the corps of their child performed. One girl was reading a book, another on their phone, etc. So, I could understand the notion that the crowd wasn't too enthusiastic.

Regardless of the people around me, I loved it! I clapped and cheered for every corps, and was thoroughly entertained by everyone.

The scores I think came out about right. I do think the spread between Cavies and Blue Stars should be that much. I was very impressed with their show, though I would've loved to have seen some "Make DCI Great Again" propeganda/merchandise at their souvenir booth. I thought the show felt like the Cavaliers I fell in love with when I was exposed to the activity in the mid 2000's.

I don't follow the boards on here too much, so I didn't know much about Crown (other than their stagecoach) but holy cow, this show has some gold medal potential! I loved the movement by the entire corps, but really thought their guard moved well. And the trombone solo is perfect for those moments in the show.

I actually went into Blue Stars show with high hopes after what a few friends have told me. it didn't quite live up to the hype, but I still thought the corps did a great job. Although, I didn't quite get the purpose of the gold lamp lady. I might've missed her significance throughout the show. I'd like to watch it again and pay better attention. I thought he brass moved well and sounded good. I thought it was a noticeable increase of difficulty and execution from the Colts.

Colts was maybe my biggest surprise of the night. I loved their show! I do think it lacks difficulty that would be needed to make finals this year, as I thought performing after the Troopers I noticed less of a demand. That being said, I thought the corps performed amazingly. I liked the shadow effects in the boxes.

The Troopers were the only show I saw prior to tonight, from the dci Facebook live broadcast. I will say that I liked the new uniforms, and thought it was still obvious who they were (similarly, I liked the Cavies uniform too). The show I think is 75% a finalists show. I just think there are still moments of the show design that doesn't keep the attention as well as it could. Their brass is incredible, and their guard seems to have improved over the last couple of years.

Genesis and Legends both surprised me with their talent and show design. I was actually surprised with the gap in their show, as I thought they were pretty equal. Colt Cadets had a fun show, and I noticed some pretty young guard members. Kitties made me want to retire early, just to pick up a horn again and get back on the field.

I wanted to write more, by the phone is probably gonna die so I tried to rush through this while it was fresh in my mind.

I agree with almost everything except I probably liked Blue Stars more than you.

A question was posted asking about Cavalier Brass:

There were a couple of ensemble issues. In the final number there is a cacophony of pre-recorded propaganda interlaced with an ostinato fugue-like passage. It has to be tighter. I expect a rewrite soon. Compared to Crown which was impeccably clean (except for some brass runs). It's still early in the season to expect too much.

The energy was super crazy last night ( I watched it live) but all the shows that I have ever been too (only shows on West Coast, we live in SoCal) have had high energy crowds..I have only been attending shows for 4 years but I have yet to experience a low energy crowd at a show.. I'm going to finals this year so hopefully it will be high energy..

I've preformed the Muncie show, and quite a ton of others. Anything and everything is less hype than that venue.

EXCEPT for the one time I preformed in Florida. We had a full stadium for our rehearsal day and show day. And the crowd that night went absolute bonkers when they announced us, it was my first year and we hadn't received that reception yet. And I didn't think they could have screamed louder until we yelled Splooie.

But really after a Muncie show, every crowd seems dead.

• Like 1

There was no Visual Effect adjudication this evening. In the case of The Kilties at least...........no points were awarded in that caption to the corps.

Rather, that caption score was -0-. No number assigned..

That certainly had something to do with The Kilties score. Other corps? One would have to ask them since recaps are private.

Corrected. Thank you DCI.

. A lot of families around who would leave after the corps of their child performed. One girl was reading a book, another on their phone, etc. So, I could understand the notion that the crowd wasn't too enthusiastic.

When it comes to attendance figures, all these people count just as equally as the ones in the audience screaming their lungs out in approval for all the Corps.

• Like 1

I was at the show tonight, and it was an interesting crowd.

[...]

That is just bizarre. I can't imagine going to any kind of event and not paying attention to it.

Genesis and Legends both surprised me with their talent and show design. I was actually surprised with the gap in their show, as I thought they were pretty equal.

Can you clarify what you mean here? According to the scores posted at DCI, Legends and Genesis were only 0.20 apart, being tied in music, with Legends taking visual and Genesis taking general effect.

(The big surprise was that Genesis dropped more than 8 pts. from the previous night.)