Drums Across the Desert -- Mesa, AZ -- July 5, 2016

Madison will have no trouble making Finals. They were leading Blue Knights by 2.8 points just two days ago.

Just posted this on the Madison forum:

Just got home from the show, didn't stay for scores. BUT, I will say I'm not surprised with how close Academy is scoring to Madison.

First off I will say that I'm a huge fan of Jesus Christ superstar and have seen the musical multiple times. Also a huge fan of Madison '99, my favorite show that year.

My observations:

A) the design staff assumed too much. By this I mean, the show design seems to cater to people who know the musical. An audience who knows the lyrics. The show seems to rely on lyrics that aren't there to further the plot. If I didn't know the show I would be completely lost on where judas fit in, until the betrayal. A lot of the emotion comes from understanding the music, understanding the lyrics.

B) Because I do know the show so well, it seems a lot of the music is fragmented and doesn't finish it's thought/phrase. There was no resolution to many of the ideas. And as someone who does know the music I found myself finishing the phrase in my head.

It's like the old saying " ###### if you do, ###### if you don't". If you DO know the show you're wanting more, if you DONT...well you may be a little lost. I don't need a show with a plot to be successful, but if you're going to name your show Judas, you should be sure the crowd understands what's going on.

Visually, seems a little old school. The body movements seem awkward and out of place. Academy is my local corps and I'm so happy they are doing well... and I mean this as no insult, but if I'm the Madison organization I might be concerned that they only finished a point ahead.

Edited by GREENBLUE, Today, 12:44 AM.

I think anyone not in the top 4 or 5 will be battling for a finals spot.

Not true. The tier 2 corps like Cavies & Phantom are a lock to make finals. The tier 3 group of corps is up in the air.

Last year on 7/7 Academy got a 71.5. I remember the talk of them moving up and making finals and for the next 20 days the score stayed about the same(73-74). They seem to start the season with a big burst and then level off. So I'm curious to see where this show goes. Can they stop the trend of peaking early or can they grow the whole season? Seems these small shows always give them higher scores.

Madison will have no trouble making Finals. They were leading Blue Knights by 2.8 points just two days ago.

I agree. The Madison Scouts are a lock for Finals this season, imo.

Wow.

Top 12 is a dogfight this year. Looks like no one is safe.

This was the intent all along.

I don't think the Scouts show is bad either, but if they don't improve their scores soon, they will be in a battle for a finals spot.

No they won't. Madison is poised for a big jump in their scores. When it happens, remember what I told you.

I think anyone not in the top 4 or 5 will be battling for a finals spot.

Until Atlanta Regionals.

Then when all the Corps busses roll into Indy for Championships, they'll be just 2 Corps vying for that 12th spot.... 1-11 will be set, and 14th ( or 15th ) will be out of contention for a Finalist spot, as the spread at Quarters will tell their story.

I don't think the Scouts show is bad either, but if they don't improve their scores soon, they will be in a battle for a finals spot.

scores dont travel from show to show. i think that the earlier corps scores pulled everyone down at this event.