DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

So uh, anyone got an extra ticket? Really don't understand why they had no online sales for this event.

They did. They just sold out.

Huh, the link I was using said not available online and listed a number, but the number never worked for me. Oh well, I'll enjoy warmups and maybe grab a back stand seat if the weather holds. We have some really nasty clouds overhead right now with sharp lightning, but it should move out by show time.

Huh, the link I was using said not available online and listed a number, but the number never worked for me. Oh well, I'll enjoy warmups and maybe grab a back stand seat if the weather holds. We have some really nasty clouds overhead right now with sharp lightning, but it should move out by show time.

Yeah all the Florida shows went on sale online late last year or early this year. Tickets sold quick though

No wonder they sold out fast. Home side can't hold hardly anyone. Visitors side only holds about 200.

http://i.imgur.com/T5ASDay.jpg

Gotta say, seems like a weird venue choice given how populated central Florida is.

Edited by defeldus2

No wonder they sold out fast. Home side can't hold hardly anyone. Visitors side only holds about 200.

http://i.imgur.com/T5ASDay.jpg

Gotta say, seems like a weird venue choice given how populated central Florida is.

sometimes you can make more money with a smaller venue

at least the show Tuesday night is in a big venue

What say do the corps have in when and where they perform, and which corps they perform with?

With only 1/2 or so as many touring Corps as back in the late 70s - mid 80s there are only so many show slots available, so Corps on one tour tend to see each other a lot until they all hit a regional (Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta) after the tour order is shuffled until the next regional. Also, performance payouts to Corps are based on the previous year (I believe this is still true); Corps ranked in the top 7 each get $x, 8-12$y, and so on, so the show sponsor knows in advance how much $ they well need to host the show (lack of standard performance fees was a big factor in the founding of DCI (which started as a conversation between Jim Jones & Don Warren in the Men's room at the National VFW convention in Indy).

One thing I miss from the old days is that each year the tour would be different, and with more touring Corps, plus more local Corps to fill out the lineup there were a bunch more contests. Today, with fewer Corps on tour; finals (& regionals) locked into the same location each year as well there are whole swaths of the country that don't have a show anyplace close. Consider California - the season w/r/t World Class is now over for 2016 as those Corps are moving east. The closest DCI show for me is a 7-hr drive each way (before all roads led to Indy every year, there was usually a show within an hour or so in some direction).

The predictable tour format might be easier for the tour managers of each Corps, but this needs to be weighted against the fans (and future MMs or parents of MMs) that could be gained with a live show within a reasonable distance (watching in a movie theater is a pale-comparison vs a live performance).

Rant off

Heat Wavejust finished. Young Corps but they got a good reception from the home crowd.

Legends on now, big sound. Heavy Bluecoats influence in style and design, not to mention some music from 2009. Lots of energy from the whole corps, but especially guard.

• Like 1

With only 1/2 or so as many touring Corps as back in the late 70s - mid 80s there are only so many show slots available, so Corps on one tour tend to see each other a lot until they all hit a regional (Minneapolis, San Antonio, Atlanta) after the tour order is shuffled until the next regional. Also, performance payouts to Corps are based on the previous year (I believe this is still true); Corps ranked in the top 7 each get $x, 8-12$y, and so on, so the show sponsor knows in advance how much $ they well need to host the show (lack of standard performance fees was a big factor in the founding of DCI (which started as a conversation between Jim Jones & Don Warren in the Men's room at the National VFW convention in Indy).

One thing I miss from the old days is that each year the tour would be different, and with more touring Corps, plus more local Corps to fill out the lineup there were a bunch more contests. Today, with fewer Corps on tour; finals (& regionals) locked into the same location each year as well there are whole swaths of the country that don't have a show anyplace close. Consider California - the season w/r/t World Class is now over for 2016 as those Corps are moving east. The closest DCI show for me is a 7-hr drive each way (before all roads led to Indy every year, there was usually a show within an hour or so in some direction).

The predictable tour format might be easier for the tour managers of each Corps, but this needs to be weighted against the fans (and future MMs or parents of MMs) that could be gained with a live show within a reasonable distance (watching in a movie theater is a pale-comparison vs a live performance).

Rant off

Thanks for your insights.

How do tours get finalized, given that not all corps have the budget to tour as widely as others?