DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

Can't wait. I will be there.

I would be there if I would have gotten off my butt and bought tickets. Amy one have a couple of tickets to sell?

Is it common for Cadets and Bluecoats to play this many shows together?

Previous year's 3&4 placed corps tend to tour together. 1&5 etc. Sells tickets.

What say do the corps have in when and where they perform, and which corps they perform with?

Anyone know where Cadets & Bloo are rehearsing? I live 30 mins from Lakeland and didn't get a ticket because I didn't think about it selling out and you couldn't buy them online.

Edited by defeldus2

I feel like that's not quite true. The corps and DCI work together on the schedule, and if there are any departures from the norm, but most have general "standard" schedule. For instance:

BD, SCV, BK, and the rest of the western corps start out west for the first couple weeks, then come east for DATR to then meet up with everyone else.

Cadets, Crossmen, Crown, Boston all typically go up to New England for 4th of July, so do the tour based around that swing. Occasionally Bluecoats or Phantom will make that trip instead of staying in the midwest.

Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Madison (except this year because of west coast tour), and usually Colts can all be counted on staying in the midwest for the first part of tour and let everyone come to them.

So I think it is less on previous years placement than on what makes sense. Such as when a corps decides to go on the western tour, as corps are rotating through (BAC 2012, Crown 2013, Crossmen 2014, Phantom 2015, and Madison 2016). Sometimes corps will decide to mix it up and go on a different swing than normal (Spirit heading to New England in 2010, Crossmen midwest 2013), and they communicate that with DCI.

Now, every now and then DCI also decides to mix things up, as well, such as when they had the first two G7 shows in Texas in 2011, and then that changes the equation for everyone, but only somewhat. The mainstays of regionals and 4th of July locations are pretty much always set.

What say do the corps have in when and where they perform, and which corps they perform with?

Obviously east coast corps pick similar tours in most cases but I think to sell tickets there is an attempt to spread out the big boys to draw spectators

Is it common for Cadets and Bluecoats to play this many shows together?

Not really. Every year the tour plays out differently. Coats do tend to head east early

Edited by George Dixon

Sadly always a chance of rainout in Florida.

True.

Interesting tidbit about Florida ( my adopted home ) : more people die of thunder and lighting storms each year on average ( approx. 8-10) than shark, 'gators, snake, attacks COMBINED. The area from Tampa ( over route 4 ) to Orlando ( which includes Lakeland, Fl) is the USA's Thunder & Lightning Alley.... good news is that these T & L storms tend to be mostly seasonal and take place btw June- Sept.

Good luck to all tonite in their competition, and here's hoping the weather holds up tonite for all at the show.

One aspect not included in above threads is how East and Midwest corps alternate heading out West for the Pacific tour. Cadets have been there a couple of times, Crown and Boston as well. Not sure about Bloo. Eastern tour occasionally sees a Western corps but that is much less common but as welcomed East as when East goes West. Tours of other corps are adapted about to fill the holes both East and West. See where Crown has been the last several years for July for example.

Edited by xandandl