DCI Central Florida - Lakeland, FL July 9th

Cadets are contenders for more captions than Bloo this year IMO. Super talented kids. Can't count them out of medals yet.

A disagree a little here. I think Bluecoats could easily win GE, Visual (if they clean it), and percussion.

Crazy aggressive show. If they clean a lot they'll be dangerous. Lost some steam and got sloppy in the closer, but the demand is off the charts there.

• Like 2

A disagree a little here. I think Bluecoats could easily win GE, Visual (if they clean it), and percussion.

Good point, forgot about visual.

Agree with GE and Visual, disagree with percussion. I'm no percussionist, but from what I've heard (myself and what other people have said), BD and Cadets will be hard to stop this year. Haven't heard anyone even say anything about SCV yet who is always a contender for the Sanford. Add in a much improved Cavies and Crown line and I just don't see Bloo taking percussion

• Like 1

Agree with GE and Visual, disagree with percussion. I'm no percussionist, but from what I've heard (myself and what other people have said), BD and Cadets will be hard to stop this year. Haven't heard anyone even say anything about SCV yet who is always a contender for the Sanford. Add in a much improved Cavies and Crown line and I just don't see Bloo taking percussion

I think I agree, however last year I felt they were not QUITE strong enough, until I heard them at Prelims. They tend to REALLY blossom at the end. Though this year BD is off the walls and Cadets are as good as ever. I personally prefer Bluecoats writing from Rarick as my favorite, really understated and INCREDIBLY and organically integrated into the horn book from Thrower. But it's another tough year. I'm hoping they really surge again at the end. They did that last year when they won on the field, and back in 2012 when they finished 2nd at finals. Hard year, but IMO they're in the mix.

Haven't heard a lot about SCV which surprises me too. Wonder if that'll change tonight.

Edited by DrumManTx

Bloo is riding a lot on show design and GE. They are definitely behind the top groups in brass and guard, and overall feels lacking in demand compared to Crown/BD/Cadets. They need to put in a bit more and amp up the intensity. Biggest issue for me tonight was blending electronics with ensemble, as the speakers overpower a lot and make the brass sound smaller at points.

That said, their show is just so #### cool and it's tied for my favorite of the year wth Crown. I would love to see them get gold with it but I think they have a lot more than just cleaning to do.

I think I agree, however last year I felt they were not QUITE strong enough, until I heard them at Prelims. They tend to REALLY blossom at the end. Though this year BD is off the walls and Cadets are as good as ever. I personally prefer Bluecoats writing from Rarick as my favorite, really understated and INCREDIBLY and organically integrated into the horn book from Thrower. But it's another tough year. I'm hoping they really surge again at the end. They did that last year when they won on the field, and back in 2012 when they finished 2nd at finals. Hard year, but IMO they're in the mix.

Haven't heard a lot about SCV which surprises me too. Wonder if that'll change tonight.

As a non-percussionist, Rennick's books are my favorite. Nothing beats his writing in terms of musicality.

As a non-percussionist, Rennick's books are my favorite. Nothing beats his writing in terms of musicality.

Oh no argument there. Probably my number two, you can't beat the musicality of his writing. Sandi's pit books are always sublime, probably my favorite for front ensemble. Love the variety of the top groups:

Bluecoats - A little more subdued. Layered into the horns incredibly well, and very streamlined.

Vanguard - Incredibly musical and beautiful.

Blue Devils - Balls to the walls in your FACE.

Cadets - More traditional, INCREDIBLY well written, and never dirty as of late.

Crown this year falls somewhere in the middle of all that, pretty aggressive stuff.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2