Denver Drumbeat (Drums Along the Rockies)

They conclude it by slowly and deliberately striding to the front sideline, with the last person arriving just when needed.

I like BD's show very much. Without taking anything away from it, I would note that this particular move is one that Madison has used more than once.

1 extra trumpet, 1 extra mello, 3 extra guard

Alternates generally participate in all non-show activities (rehearsal, parades, concerts, encores).

Thank you for explaining (and CrownBariDad, too).

• Like 1

I timed it thus:

-1:28 "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome . . ." and start of ambient synth sounds; corps appears to be all set

-0:17 ". . . Is your corps ready"

0:00 DM's quasi-salute ends, brief solo trumpet, corps moves toward central mirror (meaning humanity is self-absorbed?)

1:15 Corps lies on the ground or kneels

1:32 Corps begins to move back out to their instruments

1:52 Corps begins to play

10:08 Corps finishes

Later in the season, World Class shows are supposed to be between 10 min. and 11 min. 30 sec.

So BK's show now is just long enough for regionals.

But for nearly two minutes of show time there's almost no actual music.

(At this show, Blue Devils and Troopers had the longest shows: 11 min. 32 sec. and 13 min., respectively--either to be cut down or with part to be designated as preshow, naturally.)

So then this begs the question...when does the judging actually start? When the DM gives the salute, is that the "official" start of the show that can be judged?

If this is true, they can get themselves set up, cut out a minute of the ambient sounds of nothing, do the first minute of their show that right now is being done after the salute, make that a "pre-show", give the salute, then the brass hit would be the start of the show, and that gives them what, around 2.5 more minutes of show that they could feasibly add to their performance?

I shouldn't get myself excited like this, but man, if they did have 2+ more minutes of show up their sleeve....watch out.

They are not a 5.5pts behind SCV type of corps...although I do think SCV has a wonderful show. I'll get to see both live in a month.

Can somebody explain Blue Devil's sailboat to me?

It's crude, it almost looks like a children's toy, or something that was hand made as a gift for a child. But now that I've seen it up close, I can see pieces of the drill formations are parts of the sailboat, such as the bow. (prow?)

It's the only thing that is out of place with the professionalism of the other props. Obviously that's intentional, and somebody knows the answer. :cool:

It must be a place holder for Clara's little sister who doesn't turn 9 until August 1st.

• Like 3

BD has far more difficult content-Why do you think they are winning music? This is pretty clear. SCV has the better drumline...BD the better brassline. And BD has a more challenging book.

Wait... You actually think SCV has the better drum line right now? I don't know man. That seems to be pretty obviously incorrect. The SCV show is my 2nd favorite of the year but come on lol. This year's BD drum line is insane.

• Like 1

My favorite shows from last night (based on nothing more than my own uneducated, entertainment-based, subjective opinion):

Troopers: I liked the opener...with the voice-overs about various heroes. Brought out the same kind of emotion that "UnMasqued" had. That set the stage for the rest of the show which effectively fleshed out those heroes.

Blue Knights: Not having the completed show on the field was somewhat disappointing, but I'm not going to make a big deal of that. The show just plain smacks you over the head in the beginning and then continues flinging stuff at you throughout. I will admit that knowing what the show is supposed to be about helps when watching it. I suggest anybody who is going to see the show go to the Ascend website and check out the show announcement. It'll help.

Blue Devils: As usual, there is just sooo much going on, it'll take re-watching, re-watching and re-watching again throughout the season and after just to finally absorb it all...much like every show they've had the past 4 or 5 years. Quality of performance is a step above anybody else. btw, I like the Bieber thing...just saying...

I was impressed by the lower level corps and their shows were fun to watch.

Cavaliers and SCV: I have to combine these two because I have the same opinion for both of them. Good shows...good drill...interesting forms...very well played music...but the shows just don't grab me like the others. Just not as entertaining, in my opinion.

Now...just so everyone understands me...I am making no comment on scores, score spreads or placement. I'm not a judge...heck, I wouldn't know the first thing about determining who should or should not win. I'll leave those opinions to others. That being said...I hope BD three-peats and I hope BK passes up SCV.

I believe they are actually digitally printed uniforms not guard costumes. I keep seeing an ad on facebook and looks like it's a two piece with bibbers.

Yes they are exactly that. Please - they are NOT WGI.

(This in response to Oregon Crusader's uniforms comments - somewhere around page 36 of this thread)

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

Yes they are exactly that. Please - they are NOT WGI.

They're not anymore WGI than Crown's. Crown also used digitally printed uniforms. Atleast Oregon is using a normal shako with an actual plume

Cavies gonna make noise. I don't think them being that close to SCV is a surprise. SCV has the better show, but they're not going to blow Cavies out of the water in any caption.

I disagree with this, but I hope you're right. I think there is a big difference between SCV and Cavaliers. I think as SCV cleans their lead will grow, maybe even over 2 points or more. I honestly felt that Blue Knights could be beating Cavaliers if their show would be finished. Sadly for BK, their late start may hurt them. The Cavaliers really performed well last night, but brass is still an issue. Percussion is great but not a top 4 line. I love their guard -- Killer. That will definitely help their visual. Some great rifle work. The drill is good but not killer, and the GE still needs a jump start. It's solid but not top 5 caliber. SCV has top 5 GE that simply needs cleaned and polished.

The problem for the Cavaliers will be when The Cadets jump back into the frey along with SCV. That could push Cavies down in terms of spread. I think the Cavaliers have a more streamlined story or theme than does the Cadets, but they simply can't match The Cadets firepower in percussion, brass, and marching execution once cleaned. But to be fair, that will be an interesting battle -- Cadets, SCV, Cavaliers. I give SCV the nod for now over the other 2, and feel Cadets are the next best.

• Like 3

I disagree with this, but I hope you're right. I think there is a big difference between SCV and Cavaliers. I think as SCV cleans their lead will grow, maybe even over 2 points or more. I honestly felt that Blue Knights could be beating Cavaliers if their show would be finished. Sadly for BK, their late start may hurt them. The Cavaliers really performed well last night, but brass is still an issue. Percussion is great but not a top 4 line. I love their guard -- Killer. That will definitely help their visual. Some great rifle work. The drill is good but not killer, and the GE still needs a jump start. It's solid but not top 5 caliber. SCV has top 5 GE that simply needs cleaned and polished.

The problem for the Cavaliers will be when The Cadets jump back into the frey along with SCV. That could push Cavies down in terms of spread. I think the Cavaliers have a more streamlined story or theme than does the Cadets, but they simply can't match The Cadets firepower in percussion, brass, and marching execution once cleaned. But to be fair, that will be an interesting battle -- Cadets, SCV, Cavaliers. I give SCV the nod for now over the other 2, and feel Cadets are the next best.

I have nearly identical thoughts..... To me, BK is heads and tails better content wise but incomplete is not going to beat complete and great. That said, I see BK catching and beating the Cavies at least a few times, but likely Cavies ahead at finals.