Hmmmm...."The Christmas Story"?????

I said usually. (We've produced the stage version of that title many times. There the narrator is onstage addressing the audience, and often slips into other roles that interact with the characters he's remembering.) Goodfellas is another successful use of narration.

• Like 1

In 1989, Phantom Regiment finished second in DCI with 98.4 using ONE symphony: 1, 2, 4th movement from Dvorak's 9th symphony "New World," one of my favorite shows for both music and visual....

They also used Dvorak's Slavonic Dances in addition to the New World stuff

A Drum Corps show is no more than 11 minutes or so long. As the poster here tells us.... its hard to have a compelling, deeply introspective, navel gazing, new found " revelations " of the human condition is such a short time.

There is the wise, old adage:..... " keep it simple, stupid ".

Indeed.

This!!!

10 min shows. Your story better be a quick one. A loosely defined theme/story works well. INK was a great example. The fairy tales (😂 Fictional stories are the ones I mean), were in the show. Through in a little girl at the end. Boom!

My question is what drives this? What exactly is telling the judges in the rules specifically that a cohesive story is the type of show that will be more effective than a show that does not contain a storyline? Or is the effectiveness of the show based specifically on how well it is performed? These, see these are the questions (in my Peter Griffin voice).

• Like 2

My question is what drives this? What exactly is telling the judges in the rules specifically that a cohesive story is the type of show that will be more effective than a show that does not contain a storyline? Or is the effectiveness of the show based specifically on how well it is performed? These, see these are the questions (in my Peter Griffin voice).

It's the latter, in my opinion. Doesnt matter what "story" the show is trying to tell. If the show sucks, it sucks. At the end of the day, it's how well the show is performed that matters.

• Like 2

It's the latter, in my opinion. Doesnt matter what "story" the show is trying to tell. If the show sucks, it sucks. At the end of the day, it's how well the show is performed that matters.

Are the judges really this blunt? I would hope so. Wait, I meant, I would hope not lol...

This! It took all season to put a kid into their fairytales show. It was maybe the cherry on the cake but didn't move them from 4-1. It was their fabulousness in all captions and a show that was constructed reasonably well. (Sans Kpop).

Are the judges really this blunt? I would hope so. Wait, I meant, I would hope not lol...

This does bother me a bit. Not so long ago, it was about music, brass, percussion, guard drill which is hard enough to get firing on all cylinders. Now your story has to stimulate the judges inner core. First show of the season...."we .........................

hate it!.... 😳 Long season

Or

"We ..................like it! Just fix this, tweak that, communicate this better but good stuff"...

😀 A good season

Or

"OMG!!! You guys never cease to amaze us!!!"

😂😂👍 a BD season

• Like 1

Judging General Effect for marching bands, this gets talk about a fair bit.

Telling a *story* is harder, and not necessarily in a good way. If you come out of the gate and basically announce with your set-up/pre-show "we are telling the story of [Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz/Whatever]" then you have already created expectations that certain things are going to happen and certain elements are going to be present.

As an example, I judged a show a few years ago that was going for "Alice in Wonderland...but DARKER!" (a theme I have seen every single year since I began designing/judging....but I digress). In this show, they introduced Alice (a guard member dressed in an attention-grabbing outfit to stand out) in the opening minute...

...and then she vanished for the next six minutes, only to re-emerge suddenly and without any fanfare in the final minute of the show. In-between were some barely connected elements to represent the Queen of Hearts and a few others. The Queen and Alice never met on the field. Not once.

Now, the kids played well, the drill program was solid, and other elements worked, but that loomed over the whole proceedings and ultimately hurt them in the end (the rest of the GE panel agreed).

That's a simplistic example, but the point is that when you set out to tell a comprehensive *story*, you are playing with a double-edged sword. If you can make it work, it's extremely effective (Spartacus has been mentioned, but yeah, that's just about the best example available in the last ten years), but if it doesn't work, it REALLY doesn't work, and you're worse off for it.

It's a trade-off.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1

I thought what the Blue Devils did with "INK" was brilliant. The show didn't tell a story and it didn't have a theme. It took an imaginary approach of projecting various childhood stories in a series of short skits or vignettes that highlighted each character(s) as they metaphorically emerged from a book. Each vignette was more of a cameo highlight than it was a story. Additionally, they used music to depict characters such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan that was not from any of those motion picture soundtracks.

What Crown is doing this year is similar from a musical perspective. Some of their music is not typical of a western (Medea). They are using it for a specific effect, as a tag onto other more Western-themed music. I think it's brilliant.

Edited by jwillis35