percussion judges in drill

awe come on -- i was just pokin' a little fun at you guys. you drummers are all so sensitive :-)

Oh, I know. Cappy, I'm not over-reacting. I know what he's doing. I've been on the receiving end of brasshit for almost my whole life.

Just poking back, that's all.

i flipped sides since the last time. stopped listening to drummers :-)

slow down Garfield it was a JOKE

I typed a full-on rebuttal in that blank space.

Kidding.

I take seriously my obligation to evangelize to you blow hard brass guys.

I'm not going to read all 400 posts. I weighed in early to support getting drum judges OFF the field and to the sideline, but I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I know I'm in the 90/10 minority and I always will be on this topic.

But for the rest of you guys, has a consensus been reached?

Not really. Corpsband called Garfield a drum### and Garfield called Corpsband a br###sshole, but their positions remain as far apart as the box and the field, as best as I can judge from here on the sideline.

• Like 2

The fact is that drummers have been getting the girls for decades and the rest of the band-aides gents have resented it for as long.

There's never been any real threat to us staying in the spotlight and showing how cool we are, but this whole fear-mongering "Think of the risks!" approach that WVU is using can easily get some traction in a society that is so afraid of its kiddies getting hurt. Besides being in the extra-cool kids group who get to bang on things (and gets all the girls, although the two are not always necessarily related), we drummers take seriously our responsibility to toughen up the little bas-turds who want to join our ranks.

If you take away our field-judge we won't have independent verification that we are the coolest section in the band. And the hands of those in our exclusive club will begin to atrophy from non-usage (again, not necessarily related to getting all the girls); the slippery slope will then proceed until we're no more respected than, say, tubas players.

There's a reason why, at November auditions, there are 10 drummers for every one brass blow hard trying to join the band. Everyone (except baritone players) wants to be in the cool group and I, for one, am not going to let anyone take away that Fonzi-like status by claiming Chicken Little-like that the sky is (still) about to fall and some poor brass player might bust a lip.

While the brass-holes are trying to take the judge out of the line, we percussion vets are teaching our plebe charges that there are extra GE points for nailing one. The best thing we ever did was convince the rest of the band that we actually yell at the judges to warn them that we're coming. Bwahahaha! That's always been a good one!

Makes us snicker, am I right Jeff?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

The fact is that drummers have been getting the girls for decades and the rest of the band-aides gents have resented it for as long.

But without brass players, who would be there to inflate them for you?

Edited by skevinp

Carla was the prom queen.

Yep, Carla was the prom queen. But the back-story career success of Goodspeed becoming a specialized chemist who, in the movie, was recruited for a special-assignment law-enforcement team which saved thousands of innocent lives and killed a bunch of bad guys. That is called being a, wait for it..... 'Winner'. Thus proving the quip stated by Mason.