Bluecoats pit on using click track

Um, very good point. Actually, I would say all WC corps and most Open Class can afford it. The ear pieces are not that expensive, but each group would need to invest maybe $2500 in a receiver/mixer that sends and receives the signals. With ear pieces and a few other accessories, I will guess $5,000 or so would get a corps going with this technology. Sounds like a lot, but considering what corps pay for busing, food, staff, and more; and also considering what some put into props, I think this investment would be a good one.

Okay but what about finding staff with experience with this technology? Are the person(s) running all this technology for the Bluecoats and making sure everything goes smoothly getting paid or are they volunteers devoting their summer to this? id imagine most of the top corps can afford to pay for extra staff, not sure same can be said about all the corps in the top 12 and beyond

Cappy,

Playing devils' advocate.

Even for you, that's a poor pun. :augen51:

Hah I didn't even notice that :smile:

1. They each have their own independent IEM mix that can be changed throughout the show.

2. They are fortunate to have a high level of expertise in-house. Aaron Beck does the sound engineering for Cirque Du Soleil. Aaron happens to be a bloo pit veteran. Most of the front staff was developed from within. Nobody works for free, but my point is ... they have fostered and developed the expertise. Other corps could do the same, if driven to do so.

• Like 2

Okay but what about finding staff with experience with this technology? Are the person(s) running all this technology for the Bluecoats and making sure everything goes smoothly getting paid or are they volunteers devoting their summer to this? id imagine most of the top corps can afford to pay for extra staff, not sure same can be said about all the corps in the top 12 and beyond

Erik posted earlier in this thread. He's been on staff there for a few years. Also, many percussion teachers are becoming experts in this as they need this knowledge for their own programs.

You can put your own in ear monitor (wireless) for about $900. Which is mic, transmitter, and receiver. That's a decent model from Shure purchased from an audio house that sells last year's models at reduced prices. That's per person. You could buy a cheap one on amazon but it won't give you the ability to change frequency on each receiver. Which you need to dial up each player individually.

$5000 won't get you much. If you want to be able to change the mix per performer or even per section. We used them tonight on a big band gig. Transmitters were a little over $400 each and receivers about the same. Clip on mics added another $300 and some change. That doesn't include the console of the person who had to mix the monitors.

My problem has never been with the use of electronics. Where I get miffed is that any sound or manipulation of sound which is judged during a competitive DCI performance is 'supposed' to be done by the actual members of the corps; not adults. And DCI allowing an adult professional engineer to manipulate the sound system during a live judged performance creates a mockery of that philosophy. What should occur, in my opinion, is that the person manipulating the sound system needs to be an actual member who is instructed by an adult; just like all other members.

• Like 2

Stu! I'm with you on that. Especially with the multitude of audio engineering programs in the states. Every public school has one as either part of their theatre or music programs.

You can put your own in ear monitor (wireless) for about $900. Which is mic, transmitter, and receiver. That's a decent model from Shure purchased from an audio house that sells last year's models at reduced prices. That's per person. You could buy a cheap one on amazon but it won't give you the ability to change frequency on each receiver. Which you need to dial up each player individually.

I have heard that the need to change frequency is also important because of the limited "white space" available--and last year, the FCC proposed selling off the spectrum currently used for wireless microphones to cell phone companies, a move to which a coalition of Broadway theatres, the NFL, and megachurches have objected.

Stu! I'm with you on that. Especially with the multitude of audio engineering programs in the states. Every public school has one as either part of their theatre or music programs.