Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

if it had been the 1980 Spirit hornline, the bandtastic kids would have had to wear ear protection...and the crowd.

true

• Like 1

ls.jpg

Oh yea, my favorite pizza looks like that too...

ls.jpg

• Like 1

btw you get this pizza in Dayton! Cassano's Pizza King! (salt under the crust too -- it's amazing)

Marion's is better.

• Like 1

That's correct -- and one of these days I'll write up why there needs to be less mellophones and more trumpets to balance the Bb/F horn lines correctly.

Also back in the day when the french horn bugles were still used. Jim knew just how to write for both voices ....

• Like 1

I think that 3 corps have a chance of winning it all in Indy. It SHOULD depend on the performance on the night and this year I think it just might. I love Bloo, but tonight I have Crown above them and BD alongside them. I usually LOVE BD, but this year's show isn't "quite" there for me. I could see Cavies in 4th and SCV 5th tonight, but from an internet feed, any judgement is severely flawed. Just loved lovin' the drum corps. Well done to everyone who put it all out there to give all the fans such a great night.

Very brave! Good for you!

My predictions after tonight's viewing: my top 15 guesses

1) Bloo 90.75

2) Crown 90.45

3) BD 90.15

4) SCV 88.80

5) Cadets 86.75

6) Cavies 86.00

7) Blue Knights 84.75

8) Phantom 84.20

9) Blue Stars 83.75

10) Crossmen 82.35

11) Academy 82.00

12) Madison 81.55

13) Boston 79.75

14) Troopers 78.35

15) Colts 76.25

• Like 1

Not to me, I thought tonight was another level.

+++

I don't mean to be an audio snob, but drum corps is my raison etre and I've spent years assembling audio components, speakers, subs, electronics, that can play DRUM CORPS.

That means LOUD, like LIVE drum corps loud, and just as importantly, when played loud NO DISTORTION. And that means horn driven speakers, BIG ones. I use hot rodded Klipsch CF-4's. Then can easily reach 110 DB, and the bass dips into the 40 Hz range. I can FEEL the power.

It shakes the floor, it vibrates my chest cavity and rim shots nearly take my ears off with the CRACK you get live.

What I'm saying is if you use cheap computer speakers, or have to play the sound DOWN then yes, BD will not sound very exciting. But the way I had things cranked up tonight, BD was VERY exciting, as was CROWN and SCV.

Your mileage may differ. :cool:

well -- im not playing through lap top speakers -- these old Infinity towers are pretty darn good :-)

• Like 1