Timing Hornlines

I suggesting to you that it isn't the ABSENCE of something that is winning shows... but it is the PRESENCE of something that gets the glory.

At the root of all of this there is the subconscious and perhaps innocent assumption that corps are getting more for doing less... and it just ain't true.

We can agree to disagree based on hard evidence. It would be the PRESENCE of something other than brass playing. Bait and switch have been around a long time.

It doesn't mean it's not good.

I would say the most important part of a discussion like this is just to get people to notice things that they take for granted.

We can agree to disagree based on hard evidence. It would be the PRESENCE of something other than brass playing. Bait and switch have been around a long time.

It doesn't mean it's not good.

The brass doesn't play anymore?... no presence?

Ah, I think there's a valid argument to be made that the non-marching members of "marching music's major league" ought in fact to be less prominent. The whole point of drum corps (and marching bands) is that the musicians move.

That is to say: the front ensemble will never be an "equal player" until they spend most of their time out on the field.

That said, I suppose a counter-argument is that the pit needs to play more to make up for not having the responsibility of marching.

Bring back marching timpani!!!

The brass doesn't play anymore?... no presence?

If you say so...but that wasn't what I was saying. Context and all that notwithstanding.

If you say so...but that wasn't what I was saying. Context and all that notwithstanding.

I'm sure that you weren't... how could you mean that?... that would be silly.

Bring back marching timpani!!!

I'd love to see one of those bad boys do the American Ninja Warrior Bluecoat thing... It would be worth the price of admission alone.

Are you related to emc2? (Sorry, but I couldn't resist that comment. Time an NFL team some day and you'd be shocked to learn how little time they are actually playing (whistle to whistle.)

Time a baseball game. You will be astonished at how little of a 4 hour AL game is action.

• Like 1

Yeah... but you must know that you are essentially speaking for yourself and those who share your views.

These shows hold the attention of the audience just fine... there are always outliers (there were 30-40 years ago as well).

I can easily say that I am a schooled musician with a developed appreciation for all music. In one respect, I love Mozart. In another, if given a choice to listen to Mozart, I would choose not to. I find Mozart to be obnoxious... the formula doesn't hold my attention. But I can't say that I hate it... after all, I am a schooled musician with a developed appreciation for all music.

Thank you! I'm tired of people telling me how I'm supposed to feel about modern shows. If they find that modern shows don't catch their attention, that's their perogative.