Big Loud & Live 13

That's honestly the best way to do it (we've done quarters at the theater then semis and finals at the stadium for the last four or five years). It's nice to see it on the big screen with good audio before heading off to the sound vacuum of the dome.

Yeah, but I am really going to miss seeing all the corps outside the top-15 live.........I love hitting Lucas Oil for the early start time and seeing 40+ performances on pre-lims day........only viewing I get of a lot of the earlier shows and really like to give them as much support as I can manage. Best day of the year!

I'm surprised people have trouble with high schoolers at Big, Live, and Loud. I would think most kids who attend are the more motivated band kids who want ideas for their program (don't we all know what's best for a band when we are sophomores in high school?) or want to march one day. While many can hardly contain their enthusiasm when Crown and in more recent years Bloo performs, they generally add life in the theaters I've attended. Now the "this isn't drum corps crowd," they are the ones who can be disruptive.

Interesting story. A few years ago, either 2010 or 2011, a group of "Age of the Giants" guys, probably in their 70's, were in line for concessions and started talking to kids about their experiences. As far as the kids were concerned, it was an "Age of the Dinosaurs" group, and a cynic in his 40's kept telling others in line "They don't care" and probably they didn't, but the kids were polite, smiled, laughed a few times, and didn't have to pay for their food. The Age of the Giants guys treated because they were "good kids."

We'll be at our usual spot... Abingdon, MD, just north of Baltimore.

Had a horrible experience at the June one with high schoolers. What made it worse is I knew who they were.

Booed Blue Devils every time they were mentioned (WITH a BD alum in a jacket right behind them I know they saw walk in), made fun of Bluecoats show the whole time and kept saying they sucked, laughed at a Boston player who fell, ect. I glared back at them a few times and got a come at me bro gesture with an "I DONT CARE!" yelled at me as Bluecoats were starting.

Not sure I wanna go back. And it's the only theater that has it within a 100 miles.

That's horrible. Different areas of the country can be so unique, and not always in a good way. Here in Canton, North Canton Ohio (same for Akron and Cleveland) the fans that go to the Cinema viewings always seem to love it -- and not just Bluecoats. Everyone gets a lot of applause, or if people seem to not understand the show they just stay respectfully quiet. Sadly I'll miss the cinema this year (gigging) but I may be in Indy on Friday and Saturday.

This has really become a good event for DCI. Last year there were over 45k attendees, making it by far the biggest audience of the season. Can they break 50k this year?

I'm in the drum corps dead zone of the Pacific Northwest, so my theater is never packed. I kind of wish we'd get some band kids to boost the numbers.

Things in the Ithaca (NY) cinema have always been great. Always quite a few kids there. It's obvious that they have their favorites. But it's even more obvious that they are totally jacked by every single group. As an educator, I can tell you that it warms the ol' ticker immensely.

The theater we go to (Patten Creek 15, near Birmingham AL) seems to have a different type of audience each time. Sometimes, its mostly old timers. Sometimes, there's a fair amount of high school kids. There's usually a few JSU students and alums thrown in. Its usually around half full, but the show this past June was a nearly full house (of almost all non-student aged adults). Also usually rather quiet -- my wife and I are often the instigators for the applause. Before Fathom events added this theater to the lineup several years ago, we used to go to Trussville (different part of town and farther drive for us), and the audience there was a bit more "clappy."

The theater we go to (Patten Creek 15, near Birmingham AL) seems to have a different type of audience each time. Sometimes, its mostly old timers. Sometimes, there's a fair amount of high school kids. There's usually a few JSU students and alums thrown in. Its usually around half full, but the show this past June was a nearly full house (of almost all non-student aged adults). Also usually rather quiet -- my wife and I are often the instigators for the applause. Before Fathom events added this theater to the lineup several years ago, we used to go to Trussville (different part of town and farther drive for us), and the audience there was a bit more "clappy."

Having been to both theaters mentioned above, I agree!