A Favor

Agree with this sentiment. Far too easy to lose track of who these performers really are when they are in uniform performing their show. They're so amazing we forget how young they are. That's why the best DCI experience is going to a rehearsal!!

I think we all agree with that sentiment

there's a difference in being critical, and being degrading. Some don't understand the difference. I'm all for discussion, but as we've seen in the some threads, the idea is to keep it clean, and keep it constructive.

• Like 1

I don't know why we continue to call them "kids".

It's because they are kids. At the age of 21 they aren't quite fully cooked yet.

It infantilizes them.

No it doesn't, unless you have a different definition of the term "infant" from everybody else,

Many are the same age as college football and basketball players. When I watch a college football game, I rarely hear the announcers call the players "kids". But, put a musical instrument in their hands and they get called "kids".

You must not watch the same games I do. Of course the adult announcers call them kids from time-to-time, and so do their coaches,

I agree with OP's plea for respect. No matter what age the people on the field are, they deserve it. Part of that respect, is to treat an adult like an adult.

I'm not sure I agree with his "plea" as it came across as a bit moralistic and preachy and I think that is what some posters were reacting to. I share his sentiment, and I think his basic thesis is correct. The OP's heart is in the right place, and I can't find fault with that.

There really is a cadre of posters who call for staff firings, accuse judges by name for being biased, and who sit behind the anonymity of a computer screen and type personal insults to other posters. I don't care for those kind of posts either.

• Like 1

Tell that to an 18 year old Marine who just finished basic training!

Their Commanding Officers, Platoon Commanders and those who have been in much longer than they have, still refer to them as kids.

• Like 1

Tell that to an 18 year old Marine who just finished basic training!

It's been my personal experience that you can't tell ANYTHING to an 18 year old Marine fresh out of boot camp. LOL with much respect.

• Like 1