Madison Scouts 2017

It's a little archaic to think that just because a visual team was last with a corps such as BDB that they have any less talent or credentials as others in say world class.

If you have seen BDB the past few years then you would know the talent and skill this team has, and that they're good at what they do.

As for the money comment, this team is coming from the wealthiest organization in the activity, so the money comment is absurd.

BD pumps money into all of their programs, not just the A corps, but you know, drop questions for no reason.

I think he meant on the Scouts end, not BD's end.

I think he meant on the Scouts end, not BD's end.

Exactly. Not sure how my post could have been interpreted differently.

• Like 1

Yea, I don't quite understand this either. I hope it isn't a financial decision.

You guys (not just you FlamMan) can always ask the staff directly why they made the decision to hire who they hired.

Both Greg Auby and Chris Komnick have openly stated they have an open door policy for questions/suggestions.

You guys (not just you FlamMan) can always ask the staff directly why they made the decision to hire who they hired.

Both Greg Auby and Chris Komnick have openly stated they have an open door policy for questions/suggestions.

I've offered that suggestion countless times, and usually see a response that mocks doing that, with some retort that has to do with the directors and board laughing at people that do that and mocking them.

That being said, you are 100% correct in their open door policy and willingness to share information they see fit.

As for the new visual staff, anyone that follows the activity even a little bit know the performance level of BDB. The fact is that there are great instructors at all levels, so downplaying or criticizing Madison for bringing in a staff that can clearly teach and clean is just absurd. To be honest, the fact that the BDB visual staff that Madison now has was able to achieve the results they did with members that probably have less experience than those auditioning for Madison proves that they know what they're doing.

As for the money thing, and Madison hiring them because they may be a cheaper option, I think that's bogus as well. BD spends money at all levels of their organization to make sure that they get top instructors that can do the best job possible. So if Madison was trying to get a staff on the cheap, why would they hire instructors from an organization with the highest budget in DCI.

The problem is, that instead of taking questions to the source to get legit answers, it's easier to sit behind a screen name and criticize everything the organization does.

Next it'll be complaints about the new percussion staff, I guarantee it.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 4

I know others who have asked & the response is exactly what you would expect it to be, the typical & usual canned response. He/she did a great job with BDB, We think he/she can take us to the next level. Blah blah blah.

How many top drum corps recruit instructors from open class corps?

• Like 1

I know others who have asked & the response is exactly what you would expect it to be, the typical & usual canned response. He/she did a great job with BDB, We think he/she can take us to the next level. Blah blah blah.

How many top drum corps recruit instructors from open class corps?

Lots of them. Also, if you look at the resumes of the people on visual staff, Open Class is not the only place they've been as performers or educators, it's simply where they were collectively most recently.

As for the response of what they can do and the "blah, blah, blah" that's not the response I received, but I guess others heard something different.

As far as the ensemble they were teaching, at championships this past year, BDB was 15th overall, placing well above all Open Class corps, and many World Class corps. Would it seem out of the ordinary and as bad as some are making it had they come from Seattle Cascades? Or is it just the stigma of the different competition circuit?

Looking at recaps from 2016, BDB was 14th in visual, which was .3 behind Scouts, with members that most would argue are not as experienced as those that are in Madison, thus making good teaching even more crucial.

Based on that, I don't find that it is a step backwards, nor does it seem like a bad decision to me.

As for credentials, here's a partial list of the groups that the visual team has performed with and instructed:

Black Knights (UK)

Blue Devils A

Blue Devils B

Blue Stars

Colts

The Company (UK)

Madison Scouts

Minnesota Brass

Patria (Guatamala)

The DCI instructor circuit is very similar to NFL quarterbacks and coaches. Most are retreads that shift from gig to gig. Very little new blood comes in. Why not explore someone who has been at the top of a lower division as opposed to pulling in someone whose sole success has been at the high school level or who has done mediocre work with five other bottom-half world class corps?

Lots of them. Also, if you look at the resumes of the people on visual staff, Open Class is not the only place they've been as performers or educators, it's simply where they were collectively most recently.

• Like 1

The DCI instructor circuit is very similar to NFL quarterbacks and coaches. Most are retreads that shift from gig to gig. Very little new blood comes in. Why not explore someone who has been at the top of a lower division as opposed to pulling in someone whose sole success has been at the high school level or who has done mediocre work with five other bottom-half world class corps?

Exactly!

As I stated earlier, it's archaic to think of BDB as a feeder corps and a staff from an open class corps as a step back based on principle alone.

That team can teach, and it's been proven at a level where teaching is needed at a greater level.