Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

Go back to the premiere. Think about how intricate, complex, unprecedented and daring that show was...on that night. Have you ever seen a show so obviously headed to history? I sure haven't.

As I watched a YouTube clip of the premiere I kept yelling "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" while jumping around the room.

Thankfully my wife didn't have me institutionalized after that.

• Like 1

It was a drum corps going further into the WGI realm than any other corps before them, so yeah, new.

Get onboard, or get out, dinos and mini-dinos (me included)

See, I don't have any history at all with WGI. Zilch. I understand what you are getting at but to me it is simply reimagining what a drum corps show can be. Has nothing whatsoever to do with WGI.

• Like 1

interesting. please elaborate.

I will! But not this moment, I have impressions in my mind right now, but want to formulate them a bit more concretely in the morning. Fair?

As I watched a YouTube clip of the premiere I kept yelling "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" while jumping around the room.

Thankfully my wife didn't have me institutionalized after that.

In retrospect, I can't believe this design team did so many shows together before they went this route. They share the same musical histories, for the most part, borne out of Star and Blast. Maybe the time was right this year, and wouldn't have been earlier.

In retrospect, I can't believe this design team did so many shows together before they went this route. They share the same musical histories, for the most part, borne out of Star and Blast. Maybe the time was right this year, and wouldn't have been earlier.

I think it was a matter of the stars aligning and it was just the right time.

Yes the show at the premier was complete...but only complete for June. I got to see this show throughout spring training and many times during the tour. The biggest change in the main framework from the premier to finals was, of course, the end of the show. And much of that was conceptualized prior to leaving spring training at Denison.

What DID change on a regular basis throughout the season, right up to the LAST rehearsal, was some of the "production" aspects. The things that happened while moving props, not just the timing, but the body movement and choreography with the slides became a very important part of the show. How/when to put down an instrument or flag. Every individual movement from a smile...to a wink had a purpose...and the decision to NOT WINK on Friday, but bring it back on Saturday was...gold! (It wasn't just the crowd that was waiting/watching for it.)

The OUTSTANDING visual work of Jon Vanderkolff and Jim Moore was amazing to watch. Over the course of the season they did a lot of work with the INDIVIDUAL performers. During the last 4 performances the kids simply OWNED the show.

This show, IMHO, was the best "produced" show in DCI history.

Of course, none of this would have worked without the BRILLIANT arranging/composing of Doug Thrower and Tom Rarick...and yes, they too made some great changes and adjustments throughout the season. Is there a better music team in DCI?

I don't want to leave out the great work done by the electronic wizards Vince Oliver (also involved in the arraning/composition) and Aaron Beck...and, of course, Greg Ligola's costume design that took us all about 30 seconds into the show to realize YES, this crazy idea is absolutely right and maybe the one thing that was perfect on day one!

David Glasgow and Dean Westman have put together one of DCI's top design teams ever along with a group of caption heads and instructors that can make it all happen.

Finally, it still comes down to the performers. Do you have the talent to pull off a show of this magnitude? That question was answered well before Saturday night. That was apparent shortly after auditions and the designers knew it...and today they are called World Champions!

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

Yes the show at the premier was complete...but only complete for June. I got to see this show throughout spring training and many times during the tour. The biggest change in the main framework from the premier to finals was, of course, the end of the show. And much of that was conceptualized prior to leaving spring training at Denison.

What DID change on a regular basis throughout the season, right up to the LAST rehearsal, was some of the "production" aspects. The things that happened while moving props, not just the timing, but the body movement and choreography with the slides became a very important part of the show. How/when to put down an instrument or flag. Every individual movement from a smile...to a wink had a purpose...and the decision to NOT WINK on Friday, but bring it back on Saturday was...gold! (It wasn't just the crowd that was waiting/watching for it.)

The OUTSTANDING visual work of Jon Vanderkolff and Jim Moore was amazing to watch. Over the course of the season they did a lot of work with the INDIVIDUAL performers. During the last 4 performances the kids simply OWNED the show.

This show, IMHO, was the best "produced" show in DCI history.

Of course, none of this would have worked without the BRILLIANT arranging/composing of Doug Thrower and Tom Rarick...and yes, they too made some great changes and adjustments throughout the season. Is there a better music team in DCI?

I don't want to leave out the great work done by the electronic wizards Vince Oliver (also involved in the arraning/composition) and Aaron Beck...and, of course, Greg Ligola's costume design that took us all about 30 seconds into the show to realize YES, this crazy idea is absolutely right and maybe the one thing that was perfect on day one!

David Glasgow and Dean Westman have put together one of DCI's top design teams ever along with a group of caption heads and instructors that can make it all happen.

Finally, it still comes down to the performers. Do you have the talent to pull off a show of this magnitude? That question was answered well before Saturday night. That was apparent shortly after auditions and the designers knew it...and today they are called World Champions!

Just a nitpick, the trumpet dude did do the wink on Friday, but he milked it too much and the cameras missed it because he took too long to get to it