Staff merri-go-round

Does it bother anyone that the latest announcement was made on a Saturday? Not exactly when most news is announced.

No. The word was starting to leak out so he posted it. He had an online meeting with the members Saturday morning and calls to others Friday night, and after telling them it was time to make it official

There's much more in the pipeline but these things are sensitive until "finalized" so no alluding or hinting from me

Frankly this is a 24/7 activity

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

Does it bother anyone that the latest announcement was made on a Saturday? Not exactly when most news is announced.

Given that the chess game is moving quickly across the board (pun), it doesn't seem too surprising. I can do anything better than you has been a DCI theme for quite awhile.

Cadets will still need a great brass staff and a super creative person with new insights (even Sully is approaching Social Security status, the others are grandparenting age..) Who will be the visual person(s)???

Crown might elevate Travis but still will need a step or two up in the percussion dept. and a equally strong visual person. Was the brass emphasis too much for the rest of the staff?

Edited by xandandl

Quite a move by Boston. If nothing else, it shows that a lot of good work has been done off the field to get into a financial position to make these kinds of hires.

This calls to mind Madison's big staff announcements from 2009. It resulted in a big placement jump for Madison in 2010, but definitely didn't transform them into a top 6 corps. And most people seemed pretty ready for those guys to move on after 2014.

That suggests Boston will need to do more than just hire the big names if it wants to make a long term move into a different competitive tier.

I agree - the corps needs to improve in marching and musicianship - that being said, I'm really excited for BAC and look forward to seeing their progress -

I really hope the members will commit to the future of the corps and STAY PUT - I hope the Crusaders organization can convince MMs that it's more exciting to see your corps grow and become established than being a corps hopper and chasing a ring or a medalist finish -

Musically/stylistically - I hope BAC stays away from epic productions like Quixotic and returns to playing interesting music from many sources ---

It's marching band, it's not a major verdict in the Supreme Court.

Announcements any day are followed in this activity, waiting for a Monday, or Friday or whatever don't actually mean or do anything.

It's --------------, it's not a major verdict in the Supreme Court.

Announcements any day are followed in this activity, waiting for a Monday, or Friday or whatever don't actually mean or do anything.

Where people's lives are involved, particularly the young, everything is serious.

Only those people who are looking for any reason to take a dump on GH and/or the Cadets.

The official announcement was made less than 30 minutes after a private conference call ended with the members, where they were informed. GH indicated that other names are nearly read for announcement as well, but will be held until formally on board, recognizing that a lot of people are (a) wrapped up in the High School/College band camps this week, and (b) also being chased by other corps. I personally think it is ridiculous to lob the same sort of complaints at GH/Cadets/DCI that are usually reserved for White House press corps announcements.

• Like 8

Where people's lives are involved, particularly the young, everything is serious.

I didn't say it was or wasn't. The post I responded to was about it being odd to announce on a Saturday.

It's not, which was my point.

There are many factors going into it. How the organization is being ran by Jim and Nancy Coates played a big part in it. I'm sure opportunity to go somewhere with more freedom and a better quality of life on tour appealed to many of them.

Yep. Heard they're not that much better than Hopkins. He just had a head start

Given that the chess game is moving quickly across the board (pun), it doesn't seem too surprising. I can do anything better than you has been a DCI theme for quite awhile.

Cadets will still need a great brass staff and a super creative person with new insights (even Sully is approaching Social Security status, the others are grandparenting age..) Who will be the visual person(s)???

Crown might elevate Travis but still will need a step or two up in the percussion dept. and a equally strong visual person. Was the brass emphasis too much for the rest of the staff?

Agreed. Cadets need a super visual person to coordinate the show. Guard staff needs time to grow the program and maybe add more to the mix. Honestly not as concerned with brass staff as I am with arranger and show coordinator.

Crown will need to fill some big shoes in percussion but much bigger in guard. That's the section that's been keeping them up top (probably more so than brass). It's all about the visual now...