2017 Boston Crusaders

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

They had to improvise. It was dark, and late, so they took pics of the nearest trees they could find in Mattapan.

isn't that where the State Prison is?

Whispering Pines???  Are they in Rome???

And just so you don't think I am picking on BAC and it's efforts, here's what Adonis is now doing since that Roman Pines '16 season is over:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Amnc/aldi-greek-yogurt

The Crusaders had their HOF dinner celebration the other night and from what little I am hearing, the corps is in good shape.  Really good shape.  New standards about performance in all sections, which comes from the new staff and what experience they bring to the table.  They are realistic but expect a high level of success.

I don't believe we will be hearing much from the org during the balance of the off season.  I understand they plan to be very quiet about the show and their progress as they approach the season. 

I for one, look forward to the interpretations of whatever snippets come out, by the DCP community.  That in and of itself can be entertaining.  Most of the speculation and guesses, will likely be wrong.  Good luck to the BAC design staff (an amazing group).  I am sure an amazing show is forthcoming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I for one, look forward to the interpretations of whatever snippets come out, by the DCP community.  That in and of itself can be entertaining.

On so many levels. ( lol!)

On 1/14/2017 at 9:39 AM, xandandl said:

isn't that where the State Prison is?

No. You could be thinking of The State House on Beacon Hill. A lot of the thieves and other criminal reprobates tend to be housed in the Big House there.

• Like 2

On January 14, 2017 at 9:39 AM, xandandl said:

isn't that where the State Prison is

Mattapan had a state hospital which was practically a prison from what I hear. I think they took the indigent, may have had a TB wing, and there may have been a corrections facility. Today it is now housing for mixed income families. The old Washintonian, a dry out center usually referred to as a drunk tank and from what I heard pretty close to Hell on Earth, was in that vicinity. There is also the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital which has a corrections wing, and that is on the Mattapan/Forest Hill-Jamaica Plain line. That is stil open, though not everyone at Shattuck is a prisoner. There is a psychiatric wing and a homeless shelter at Shattuck.  There are two facilities still open:Boston Pre-release and a facility for juvenile offenders. Mattapan claims they are in Roslindale and Roslindale claims it is  Mattapan. That being said, Brasso is correct in his statement about Beacon Hill!

14 hours ago, Tim K said:

There is also the Lemuel Shattuck Hospital which has a corrections wing, and that is on the Mattapan/Forest Hill-Jamaica Plain line. That is stil open, though not everyone at Shattuck is a prisoner. 

Over the course of my CO career, mostly on the 11PM-7AM shift, I'd be contacted by the shift commander that I'd be pulled off my post to provide security for an inmate being transported to Shattuck.  I believe the 8th floor was set up to house inmates from several county correctional facilities.  Two of us would sign out glocks and one in the ambulance and one driving the chase car.  Most of the overnight hospital staff would head to the break room around midnight and we wouldn't see them again until around 5-6AM.

There was many a Friday night when I'd ride past the Mattapan Hospital in the Crusaders equipment truck (1960 era bread truck) with others on our way to the Commonwealth Armory (now owned by Boston U.) for M&M practice.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I presumed Brasso was making an internal joke as now affirmed by the info shared by TimK and Ghost.

Roslindale had a very fine winter competing unit in Sacred Heart when I judged in Greater Boston BITD; a drill team or band in the summer, no?

Now BACk to that Hyde Park group.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I presumed Brasso was making an internal joke as now affirmed by the info shared by TimK and Ghost.

Roslindale had a very fine winter competing unit in Sacred Heart when I judged in Greater Boston BITD; a drill team or band in the summer, no?

Now BACk to that Hyde Park group.

I know Sacred Heart well. They did have a band and a drill team. Our band competed against the band. The band disbanded in 1977 and the drill team a few years later. If the stories I later heard were accurate, lots of the kids who marched with the band joined 27th but the drill team tended to gravitate to BAC. Must have been a lot of heat in the neighborhood at that time. The color guard continued until about ten years ago. Rich Rigolini was the director at my time at Sacred Heart which is how I learned about the correctional institutions in the area.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:26 AM, DrumManTx said:

Marching Roundtable is getting ready to do an interview with Herbery about his past work and plans for Boston Crusaders.   

Any word on when this will be released? I'm gettin' ancy