2017 Boston Crusaders

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Recently they had a guard size around 46.

Don't think so, Ghost. I don't believe BAC has had over 45 before, including  2 seasons ago. If I'm wrong, I'll do another 25 pushups   ( one per month )

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

A little birdie was chirp, chirp, chirping today...' couldn't fully make out what he was trying to tell me ( hey, its bird talk here, so gimme a break ), but I thought he was trying to tell me that Boston will be going out with a very large ( 42-45) Guard section for 2017.

Now, if this info eventually turns out to be inaccurate, I will explain it away by reminding everyone  this info was for the birds.

3 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Darn... I was hoping this would be the year they'd bump back up to 80 brass.

Herbert indicated in October that there would be 40 guard for 2017...things may have changed since then though...

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

If anyone has a little to hype about it's the Boston Crusaders crowd IMO.  In terms of the new staff in the current era of DCI they have many top three finishes in each of the major captions, hands in 2 championship shows and countless other medalists and some of the more beloved shows in recent history.  

And they're playing it pretty cool.  Excited obviously, some hype, but for the most part they're not even coming close overdoing it.  

They've been doing this Building a Champion thing in the business, outreach, and organizational side for quite a few years now.  The corps is finally seeing the fruits of that labor with the team they've assembled and I'm sure over the next few years they'll be working towards that competitively.   

Those members last year pulled absolute magic out of that show in the final weeks of 2016. I had them written off in Atlanta I think and what they were able to pull out of that thing by finals week was nothing short of amazing.  It sure wasn't the show design.  If I'm honest they had the 13th or 14th place show but the MMs did Champion level growth and sold every ounce of that show.  The energy that show began and ended with from the members did it.  Give those kinds of members a show that's just a little better? 

We shall see.  Boston Crusaders are easily the most perplexing one to me going in.  

Not all "hype" is created equal, and I agree that Boston Crusaders is not over-hyping the new staff, though to say they are proud and excited is an understatement. In general, I do not follow staff and designer changes with the exception of those I know which is only a handful, but the only times I recall dream team staffs being created in such a short period would be the formation of Star of Indiana and maybe Zingali and crew going to Cadets. Perhaps there are other examples, but I cannot recall a 12th place finalist corps replacing staff with the best in the business. Feathers were ruffled, and anything as much as an announcement is considered hype.

Last year there was a great deal of hype, and some fans believe they were duped. Look back on posts last July if you need a reminder. Part of it was excitement about source music. I expected that it would be bold and powerful intermingled with moments of beauty. It was arranged a bit differently and I'm not the only one who expected something else, again look back at last summer's posts. Did that come from the corps or from our imaginations deciding how "Man of La Mancha" should sound? I can also remember preseason posts that claimed some new and younger members were in some cases more talented than some returning veterans, but if you stop and think about it, that happens. I seem to remember a video a few years back of a fourteen year old blowing away the percussion staff of Blue Devils. I don't know if he marched, but it is conceivable a younger person could have great talent. Mozart, Saint Seans, and Mendelssohn were prodigies. I know what I heard when reading some posts was younger talent plus season veterans means better placement. That doesn't always happen.

In in the end, BAC made finals. Their performance at semi's was solid, confident, and in my opinion their best show of the season. Saturday was very good, prelims was good too but you could sense the nerves. For 2017, many are expecting new talent in the corps based on the reputation of staff. You'll also have returning veterans who cannot help but have learned from last year. It's not hype to predict good things, but those of us on DCP have to be careful not to jump to conclusions.  Easier said than done.

Enough  ranting on a night I can't get to sleep.

• Like 1

I was criticized roundly by a few on dcp for saying they marched very well at move in...which, by the way, they did.  (due to Mr. Falcon....et al).  I was at the audition camp in Boston in November and I won't see them now until move in at their Vermont location in May.  My prediction for BAC for 2017?  They will make DCI finals for the 19th year in a row

And when I do seen them at move in, the most anyone will get out of me is what the menu was like at the food truck.  Period  :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

If anyone has a little to hype about it's the Boston Crusaders crowd IMO.  In terms of the new staff in the current era of DCI they have many top three finishes in each of the major captions, hands in 2 championship shows and countless other medalists and some of the more beloved shows in recent history.  

And they're playing it pretty cool.  Excited obviously, some hype, but for the most part they're not even coming close overdoing it.   

Playing it cool?  More like throwing buckets of water on it!  Father Tim is the only guy hyping at all.  Rest of them are manning the bucket brigade (which in itself is such an obvious hype).  I'm looking forward to seeing the witches on the field.  Should be an interesting show.

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

the silence is deafening.  the contrast with past seasons is nothing less than remarkable.  

If I still have any ability to translate Bahstahnese, I think that is exactly what they are non/saying: this season will be remarkable compared to others.