2017 Boston Crusaders

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a borderline finalist.

I agree. Thats like saying if you barely pass the bar exam, you're a borderline Attorney. No..you might be a bordeline psychopath or whatever., but you're an attorney now.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. Thats like saying if you barely pass the bar exam, you're a borderline Attorney. No..you might be a bordeline psychopath, but you're an attorney now.

Or as one wit once said, What do you call the person who graduated last from medical school? Doctor.

• Like 1

Or as one wit once said, What do you call the person who graduated last from medical school? Doctor.

Yes.. ( funny line, too..) I believe that if you're smart enough to get accepted to one of the Ivy league Universities, You're in. It doesn't matter if you were a slam dunk, or in by a nose. Also, many, if not most, of the undergrad courses there are Pass/ Fail. So if you came out of one of these Ivies with 65 or whatever on all your grades, I suppose you could legitimately make the claim ( tongue in cheek, of course ) that, you.. " got the perfect scores " while there (haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Supposedly the corps tried to do it last year, but found out, somewhat late, that they could not attempt it until 2017. They then had to put "Conquest" together.

So it's open season for Immortal now? Wouldn't be surprised to see many corps try to get their hands on it first if so.

I'd like to also see "On the Shoulder of Giants" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InN8MTV2t1Y attempted more thoroughly than Cavies had.

Edited by Narrow
  • Like 1

So it's open season for Immortal now? Wouldn't be surprised to see many corps try to get their hands on it first if so.

I'd like to also see "On the Shoulder of Giants" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InN8MTV2t1Y attempted more thoroughly than Cavies had.

' Wasn't familar with this piece until just now. I like it.

There are a lot of gorgeous choral pieces out there that would be great ballads (this area isn't explored as much as the wind band/orchestral repertoire is)

If were going to look at brass band literature...I would not mind them doing Metropolis 1927...

Film Backdrop:

"Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction epic Metropolis is considered to be a masterpiece of cinematic vision and a high point of German Expressionist filmmaking. Set in a future dystopian world the film introduces the viewer to two contrasting communities living in the vast city of Metropolis. Those above ground live a life of privilege and pleasure serviced by the underground-dwelling drone workers whose role is to maintain and operate the banks of machines which provide the city's power.
Lang's film, which can be considered a type of 20th century morality play, draws upon a range of themes and influences from Marxist ideals and social satire to overt religious symbolism.
The music does not attempt to precis the plot, such as it is, but simply reflects my musical responses to Lang's noirish visual style and set designs – the brooding machine rooms, the decadent nightclubs, the gothic cathedral and so on – paradoxically a world of terrifying beauty.
Metropolis 1927 was commissioned by Bramwell Tovey and The National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain with funds provided by The Arts Council of England. The first performances took place in the Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare on Saturday 19th April and in the Cheltenham Town Hall on Sunday 20th April 2014.
This revised version was premiered by The Black Dyke Band, conductor Nicholas Childs, at the 38th European Brass Band Championships in the Konzerthaus Freiburg, Germany, on Saturday 2 May 2015.
Peter Graham "

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Here is another piece that might go well for Boston IMO...has not been done by a junior corps since 1970...and senior/alumni corps since 2000...according to corpsreps.com

Night Flight to Madrid by Kermit Leslie

Night Flight has a strong opening, powerful from the first note. The fearless melody takes listeners on a musical journey, flying into the night sky.