2017 Boston Crusaders

Serious question for those who would know much better than I:

What impact could the new BAC staffers have on next year's performance? Is it reasonable to expect a borderline finalist to jump to top six because of these new guys coming in?

In 2002, Gino, Jay Bocook, and Jeff Sacktig joined the staff of Magic of Orlando, which didn't even field a corps in 2000 or 2001.

They won Division II ("Open Class" now) with a 99 and finished 11th in World Class finals.

Non existant --> 11th place. This is one example of how a new, awesome staff can affect scores.

I didn't say it was poaching. I don't believe it is. But thanks for not reading my post before making statements about what I said.

Well I was kind of making a joke which apparently missed on you. Not trying to offend. And I DID read your post. And is does come down to semantics. You did mention poaching synonymously with recruiting.

In 2002, Gino, Jay Bocook, and Jeff Sacktig joined the staff of Magic of Orlando, which didn't even field a corps in 2000 or 2001.

They won Division II ("Open Class" now) with a 99 and finished 11th in World Class finals.

Non existant --> 11th place. This is one example of how a new, awesome staff can affect scores.

Well yes BUT Magic that year was far from an Open class corps. They knew it BUT had no choice being there. It was also the beginning of the financial problems that plagued them for years until the end. Sad but true and a shame. To many promises. It's easy to buy instant success sometimes. keeping it is another story.

This of course wont be the same at BAC. it's totally different. Just a response to the above post.

Serious question for those who would know much better than I:

What impact could the new BAC staffers have on next year's performance? Is it reasonable to expect a borderline finalist to jump to top six because of these new guys coming in?

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a borderline finalist. When Troopers edged out Crossmen in 1979, I'm sure they did not console themselves by considering Troopers borderline finalists, nor did they knock themselves in 2012 as borderline when they edged out Blue Stars. If you make the top 12, you are a finalist, period.

Could BAC place in the top six because of new staff? Anything is possible. My guess is that we will see growth next year. Whether it will mean a top six placement remains to be seen and depends not just on Boston but the entire competitive slate as well. Much also depends on how the staff works together and the talent level of the corps. Word is that many of the rookies this year were very young which could be why we saw great efforts by marching members but slow improvement. However they did get to finals and the new staff had to see potential. Will we see instant improvement, probably not, but I think we could see a potential powerhouse emerge.

• Like 1

I concur with those who mentioned that it will take time. New staff with great resumes is one part, but the talent of the mm is important also. These recent and possible future hiring's are a great start, plus future auditions should see more talented mm because of these new instructors. I'm only guessing, but it seems to me that going from an 85 to the low to mid 90's is easier than being at a 93 and trying to find another 4 to 5 points.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any show ideas(in terms of music) they think would be IDEAL for Boston? or even specific pieces of music...

Does anyone have any show ideas(in terms of music) they think would be IDEAL for Boston? or even specific pieces of music...

I have this constant desire to see the Scarlet Pimpernel done and it would allow the corps to do another red type show. Their themes recently have been all over the place, so what's in store for next year is anyone's guess. Since it will be 2017, maybe they can try again with Black Dyke Band's immortal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niH3ZZC3EKg.

Edited by Ghost

I have this constant desire to see the Scarlet Pimpernel done and it would allow the corps to do another red type show. There themes recently have been all over the place, so what's in store for next year is anyone's guess. Since it will 2017, maybe they can try again with Black Dyke Band's immortal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niH3ZZC3EKg.

Didn't they have trouble getting rights for that or something?...I seem to remember something like that...and for SP..are you talking about the musical? I thought I'd listen to it on YouTube...

Edited by Liahona

Didn't they have trouble getting rights for that or something?...I seem to remember something like that...and for SP..are you talking about the musical? I thought I'd listen to it on YouTube...

Supposedly the corps tried to do it last year, but found out, somewhat late, that they could not attempt it until 2017. They then had to put "Conquest" together.

Your point is well taken. However, a correction: Wayne Downey, not Jay Bocook.