2017 Boston Crusaders

1 hour ago, PRPhan4ever said:

Gee.... the I guess if Phantom adds more drill and music changes same would apply to them as well?  BUT ANYWAY .... I LOVED hearing the changes Boston has done (RE:  'smoke, water vapor, dry ice - whatever it is) and the other minor changes -- AND their FACEBOOK page had that their 2 upcoming rehearsals are 'closed to the public' as the add new material/changes! So there you go.... 

I PERSONALLY LOVE THIS SHOW... is so different than anything Boston has done in many yrs!  The staff is stellar - and I really, really think the MM's are feeding off of that and are working harder than ever!  THEY SEE, FEEL and HEAR the crowds reaction and.... like ANY performer gain adrenaline from it!  Lets see what happens!  Can't wait for the theater!  And of course DCI East (or whatever the have called it now a days)

I'm becoming a Boston convert -- but then again I have ALWAYS been a Gino C.  follower, even his HS work !!! He and the others are doing spectacular things there!

BURN....BABY BURN!

Awesome compliment. PR is making the moves, too. Good Luck to you all for the rest of the tour. Cheers!

Edited by CorpwithanS
Mine eyes have seen their glory...
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, craiga said:

As for BAC adding a new ending or changing it in any way, I have some insider info for you.  They will or they won't.  The design team is under no obligation to inform the DCP brain trust of its intentions.  We all heard for three weeks about Cadets adding two minutes of new music and drill which would propel them into medaling status.

Enough said.

I personally have complete faith in this team and this drum corps.  Heck, I spent all winter just hoping they would improve up to 9th so they wouldn't be in that bottom (10/11/12) tier again.  I am happy beyond words.

This has been and continues to be a tremendous year for Boston, and there is some twisted irony in the fact that somebody who refused to believe in the improvement last month is now doubting what the team will do this month.  Good grief!

Nicely put. Wonderfully knowledgeable and  talented Org/Corps and fun 77th year! Careful, you might get poked with a name-drop or a plume -- perhaps, even Burned

Sic 'em, BAC!

I would LOVE to travel up to MA for their home show -- I have as many know have been a Phantom Phollower, but Boston has always had a place in my Faves.  I'd love to volunteer with them -- but since 2012 I have been dealing with some horrendous health issues, some surgeries and am now well on the path to being able to take the time to volunteer with a corps, and, I'd love to spend some time with Boston.

Perhaps I can still get in on volunteering -- what I've done since 1993 w/Regiment off/on.  Though I love them so, Boston and their staff (formerly Cadets) have a very, very special place in my heart as my parents used to reside where they originated - and as a child they would travel to the site in the 70's so I could watch them rehearse with my cousins, so my love for 'that sound' and teaching ethics have and still  move me beyond words -- and, now, all has come full circle where almost 90% of my Drum Corps mentors are in Boston..... 

I just love Drum Corps --there are no losers, all work equally hard -- but this year, something special is happening in Boston and it's been a long time coming!  There is so much talent in DCI now, and shows evolving beyond the 'old traditional' shows, and we have to either grow into it, or stop following the activity!  I for one am vehemently against mic'ing any performer --as a brass teacher and performer, the sound should be taught, sustained, refined -- not run through a mixer, sound board etc...  Props?  Well, guess we have to get used to them... I think they are here to stay.... audio recordings/voice overs/samples?  They should have a time limit - say if a show is 11 minutes, no more than 1/3 (5 1/2 mins) should be pre-recorded (IMHO)  - if it's drum and bugle corps, let the instrumentalists carry the lead... just how I feel!  FLAME AWAY!

But if 2017 yields anything -- here are my 'wishes'..... 

SCV wins Gold.....

Phantom solidifies staff and their future goals/objectives

Boston places 4th

And we the lovers of all things DCI will come away from this year knowing that there are still kids out there hauling their butts on turf, astroturf, dirt fields and even parking lots in rain, shine, 90 degree+ temps, living on buses, sleeping in gymnasiums all to give us all of themselves in every second of their performances whether we like them or not.   They pay for that freely and we reap the enjoyment of it!

Kudos to all marching members.... THANK YOU Staff for instilling love and the value of performance in each and every young adult!  THEY will never forget these experiences.  Neither will I!

Go BOSTON!  And now.... "They must burn!" 

• Like 5

Volunteering for Boston would be greatly appreciated and that appreciation is not limited to Boston.  ALL of these organizations rely on volunteers and with corps touring with such large members and staffs, many volunteers are sorely needed to help in so many areas.  I liken the task sharing to what is done on an aircraft carrier.  Although I did not serve on one,  I realized the crew of an aircraft carrier is huge and with many people doing small specific tasks, the tasks done are executed efficiently and effectively.

For a corps, it works the same way and helps reduce volunteer burnout.  Whether you volunteer for a season, partial season, off season or for a day, it is all appreciated.  Take tickets at their home show, be on gate control, help park cars and busses, sell 50/50 tickets.  Any skills you can offer?  Former members and other former corps members have help put equipment trucks and food trailers together.  They have electricians, carpenters, painters, computer savvy folks.  It goes on and on.  Anything, literally anything, helps.

And best of all, you might get to know the kids and they will amaze you.  One thing I always hear about Boston's MM's is "they are so nice" and I suspect this is true in all corps.  So meet the kids, staff and other volunteers and enjoy the summer of your life.  Next best thing to marching.  So don't be afraid, go ahead and ask.  The corps and you will be happy you did.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Volunteering for Boston would be greatly appreciated and that appreciation is not limited to Boston.  ALL of these organizations rely on volunteers and with corps touring with such large members and staffs, many volunteers are sorely needed to help in so many areas.  I liken the task sharing to what is done on an aircraft carrier.  Although I did not serve on one,  I realized the crew of an aircraft carrier is huge and with many people doing small specific tasks, the tasks done are executed efficiently and effectively.

For a corps, it works the same way and helps reduce volunteer burnout.  Whether you volunteer for a season, partial season, off season or for a day, it is all appreciated.  Take tickets at their home show, be on gate control, help park cars and busses, sell 50/50 tickets.  Any skills you can offer?  Former members and other former corps members have help put equipment trucks and food trailers together.  They have electricians, carpenters, painters, computer savvy folks.  It goes on and on.  Anything, literally anything, helps.

And best of all, you might get to know the kids and they will amaze you.  One thing I always hear about Boston's MM's is "they are so nice" and I suspect this is true in all corps.  So meet the kids, staff and other volunteers and enjoy the summer of your life.  Next best thing to marching.  So don't be afraid, go ahead and ask.  The corps and you will be happy you did.

I really really really want to spend next summer on the road.  I'm definitely planning on at a minimum doing some volunteering wherever I can.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

and NO ONE said the cadets changes would "propel them into medaling status" 

literally NO ONE

Well, its not quite so cut and dried as you may want it to appear here. To be a little more precise, you said the Cadets had a " 20% chance"  of medaling on the " Can the Cadets Medal " thread 3 weeks back which was BEFORE the Cadets underwent their lauded rewrites.  Then as a follow up post you a week later, you posted that the Cadets new closer alone could add about " 2 points " to the naturally expected average growth rate scores that all Corps have within a couple of shows. So putting 2 and 2 together here, its not ENTIRELY  out of the realm of what you were thinking the rewrites would do for the Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

6 hours ago, emc2 said:

A lot more enjoyable this year. .   Note: One thing  that I did noticed was that they added Black around the bottom of their props  nice effect.

Whew, last season sitting in 14th at this juncture was a nail biter to see if Boston could avoid missing out on qualifying for Finals for the first time since 1998.  They pulled it off however at Championships. This season, from the very 1st show, it was clear that Boston had no intentions of repeating that roller coaster ride to see if they'd qualify or not.

I noticed the black around the bottom of their props too, emc2, and agree with you that its a nice effect as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Well, its not quite so cut and dried as you may want it to appear here. To be a little more precise, you said the Cadets had a " 20% chance"  of medaling on the " Can the Cadets Medal " thread 3 weeks back which was BEFORE the Cadets underwent their lauded rewrites.  Then as a follow up post you a week later, you posted that the Cadets new closer alone could add about " 2 points " to the naturally expected average growth rate scores that all Corps have within a couple of shows. So putting 2 and 2 together here, its not ENTIRELY  out of the realm of what you were thinking the rewrites would do for the Cadets.

There's a different between "could" and "will," here, though...

You seem to be saying that George hanging a 20% chance on it was equivalent to him saying to lock it in as truth.

57 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I noticed the black around the bottom of their props too, emc2, and agree with you that its a nice effect as well.

• Like 1