Cadets 2017

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

That adds up to 14. 5x3 is 15.  Where's the missing one?  Yeah I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. 

Phantom was 3rd in 2012

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

I wonder if Cadets are now considered "underdogs" in the top echelon? 

In the past 5 years:

BD medaled 5 times.

Crown medaled 4 times.

Bloo medaled 3 times.

Cadets medaled 2 times. 

As a Crossmen homer, I would take any of these results, and would love to be considered an "underdog" to medal, and/or win.  As of now, Bones is not even considered an underdog to medal, or anywhere near in consideration to "win" the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

I wonder if Cadets are now considered "underdogs" in the top echelon? 

In the past 5 years:

BD medaled 5 times.

Crown medaled 4 times.

Bloo medaled 3 times.

Cadets medaled 2 times. 

Interesting stat.  Is there some place that lists just the top 3 for each year?  Or did you slog through it year by year?

6 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Interesting stat.  Is there some place that lists just the top 3 for each year?  Or did you slog through it year by year?

I made this for myself...

Year Champion 2nd 3rd
1972 Anaheim Kingsmen Blue Stars Vanguard
1973 Vanguard Troopers Blue Stars
1974 Vanguard Madison Scouts Anaheim Kingsmen
1975 Madison Scouts Vanguard Blue Devils
1976 Blue Devils Madison Scouts Vanguard
1977 Blue Devils Phantom Regiment Vanguard
1978 Vanguard Phantom Regiment Blue Devils
1979 Blue Devils Phantom Regiment Vanguard
1980 Blue Devils 27th Lancers Bridgemen
1981 Vanguard Blue Devils Madison Scouts
1982 Blue Devils Vanguard Cadets
1983 Cadets Blue Devils Vanguard
1984 Cadets Blue Devils Vanguard
1985 Cadets Vanguard Blue Devils
1986 Blue Devils Vanguard Cavaliers
1987 Cadets Vanguard Cavaliers
1988 Madison Scouts Vanguard Blue Devils
1989 Vanguard Phantom Regiment Cavaliers
1990 Cadets Cavaliers Star of Indiana
1991 Star of Indiana Cavaliers Phantom Regiment
1992 Cavaliers Cadets Star of Indiana
1993 Cadets Star of Indiana Phantom Regiment
1994 Blue Devils Cadets Phantom Regiment
1995 Cavaliers Cadets Blue Devils
1996 Blue Devils/Phantom Regiment _ Cadets
1997 Blue Devils Cadets Vanguard
1998 Cadets Vanguard Blue Devils
1999 Blue Devils/Vanguard _ Cavaliers
2000 Cavaliers/Cadets _ Blue Devils
2001 Cavaliers Blue Devils Cadets
2002 Cavaliers Blue Devils Cadets
2003 Blue Devils Cavaliers Cadets
2004 Cavaliers Blue Devils Vanguard
2005 Cadets Cavaliers Phantom Regiment
2006 Cavaliers Phantom Regiment Blue Devils
2007 Blue Devils Cadets Cavaliers
2008 Phantom Regiment Blue Devils Cavaliers
2009 Blue Devils Carolina Crown Cadets
2010 Blue Devils Cavaliers Bluecoats
2011 Cadets Blue Devils Cavaliers
2012 Blue Devils Carolina Crown Phantom Regiment
2013 Carolina Crown Blue Devils Cadets
2014 Blue Devils Bluecoats Cadets
2015 Blue Devils Carolina Crown Bluecoats
2016 Bluecoats Blue Devils Carolina Crown

2nd & 3rd place totals (Green indicates most):

Corps 2nd 3rd
Blue Devils 10 8
Cadets 5 8
Cavaliers 5 7
Vanguard 7 8
Phantom Regiment 5 5
Madison Scouts 2 1
Bluecoats 1 2
Carolina Crown 3 1
Anaheim Kingsmen 0 1
Star of Indiana 1 2
Blue Stars 1 1
Troopers 1 0
27th Lancers 1 0
Bridgemen 0 1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True. BD, for another example, enters each DCI season as the odds on favorite to win DCI. Finishing 2nd is good, but disappointing. Finishing 6th, ( as Cadets did last season ) would be considered a collosal placement disaster of epic proportions for BD ( FAR worse than Cadets finishing 6th for example ) as BD has not fallen below 5th place in DCI since 1974, over 40 years ago.  Several current WC Corps on the other hand, don't even have wet dreams of ever finishing above 10th place anytime soon ( haha!). So sure, its " funny ", but entirely understandable, that where one sits on the DCI placements totem pole does shape one's annual expectations on things.

The " funny " was only about how one views perspective( could be about anything ) and how for some means one thing and another something totally different. 

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

The " funny " was only about how one views perspective( could be about anything ) and how for some means one thing and another something totally different. 

Lol.  Now you are using the word "funny" wrong! :doh: 

Anyway -- I think looking at this sort of thing is far more relevant than just looking at the gold medal count (which in my mind  is sometimes desperately clung to by some).

Suppose Scott Chandler moves to Paris and designs high fashion for the rest of his life.   It could be the start of a long fall.  

If you look back 10 years, suddenly Cadets and Cavies are in play.  Funny how that works! 

corps    medals
BD         10
Crown    5
Cadets   5
Coats     4
Cavies    4
PR          2

So what's the best time frame to reference?  I'd suggest the only ones that matter are the relatively short ones. What a corps did 20 or 30 years ago (while historically interesting) has no bearing on how well that corps will perform tomorrow. 

Edited by corpsband

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I understand. To provide another example, politicians are always talking about how they " want to help the middle class", or their policies if implemented will " help the middle class ". Thats because they know full well that the guy or gal that is currently making $500,000 a year thinks of themselves as " the middle class ", just as much as the guy or gal that is making $200,000 thinks of themselves as " the middle class ". too. Neither thinks of themselves as " the wealthy ".  ( to them, thats reserved to those making over a mill per year.. double ) Yet, to a guy or gal that is making $100,000 a year, these people at  $200-500,000 are " the wealthy", and they at $100,000 are the " middle class "... and yet to a guy or gal making just $50,000 a year, they are the " middle class", and anyone making over $100,000 a year arn't "the middle class", they're  " the wealthy". So now if we've got people making between $50,000 and $500,000 a year in the country, many of whom are thinking of themselves as " the middle class ".  Thats a whole lot of potential voters right there to make your political pitch too. And so thats why we daily hear all these politicians talking about how all their proposed plans will.... " help the middle class ". You're right, it is sort of " funny " and its all in one's perspective of where one sits on any totem pole... Drum Corps, or otherwise.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 0:47 PM, MikeD said:

I was in London on 2/18 and 2/19, and again on 2/25-2/27, and we actually DID see a little sun.

Although....we were in Portugal in between, and we saw LOTS of sun there!

How was England? I'm going there in August (and France). 

4 hours ago, corpsband said:

Slogged. I think a "last 5 years" window is a good snapshot of a corps currently. 

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

Lol.  Now you are using the word "funny" wrong! :doh: 

Anyway -- I think looking at this sort of thing is far more relevant than just looking at the gold medal count (which in my mind  is sometimes desperately clung to by some).

Suppose Scott Chandler moves to Paris and designs high fashion for the rest of this life.   It could be the start of a long fall.  

If you look back 10 years, suddenly Cadets and Cavies are in play.  Funny how that works! 

corps    medals
BD         10
Crown    5
Cadets   5
Coats     4
Cavies    4
PR          2

So what's the best time frame to reference?  I'd suggest the only ones that matter are the relatively short ones. What a corps did 20 or 30 years ago (while historically interesting) has no bearing on how well that corps will perform tomorrow. 

But I think it contaminates the results. 5 years is a good measure of current performance of a group.