Cadets 2017

15 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Scary thought.

So on the order of performance in San Antonio, do I have it right that cadets could perform as low as ninth in the order based on scoring to date?

Could be. And Bloo may not medal. It's a crazy season indeed!  If the tea leaves can be read at this stage, SCV golds, BD silvers and its between Crown and Bloo for bronze. 

Edited by Tobias

Well I guess we can call it a season y'all. 

Tired of this every year getting excited about a show and Cadets sink lower and lower. 

Gosh I miss the 90s when they were great. 

I like the show, but apparently, it's not competitive enough and they may even get passed up by BK. VERY sad. Say what you want, but Cadets getting passed up by Boston was a blow. BK are coming to get them.. 

Ahh well. 802 pages of a Cadets thread just leads to nothing but a show that doesn't grab and has no hope for even 6th place. 

Here's hoping for next year....again. 

• Like 4

So Tuesday will be the first head-to-head. Do you see positions changing much, or at all, after that?  Or do they all become pretty well slotted at that point with movement beyond maybe one position pretty much unlikely?

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

So Tuesday will be the first head-to-head. Do you see positions changing much, or at all, after that?  Or do they all become pretty well slotted at that point with movement beyond maybe one position pretty much unlikely?

I think anyone in the top four can medal, maybe even get gold.

After that, I would say the order may be fairly well predictable. Crusaders could top Cavaliers but I don't see them dropping. Knights, eh, their arrangements rock and their playing ability is crazy great, but again their show concept is just a GE dud. Cadets have a better show design than BK imo.

No way Cadets falls below Phantom. Those two shows and corps are in different categories as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well I guess we can call it a season y'all. 

Tired of this every year getting excited about a show and Cadets sink lower and lower. 

Gosh I miss the 90s when they were great. 

I like the show, but apparently, it's not competitive enough and they may even get passed up by BK. VERY sad. Say what you want, but Cadets getting passed up by Boston was a blow. BK are coming to get them.. 

Ahh well. 802 pages of a Cadets thread just leads to nothing but a show that doesn't grab and has no hope for even 6th place. 

Here's hoping for next year....again. 

I hear ya! However, I'm putting my hope in SCV this year. Great to see them back in the thick of things.  Hope they can go all the way.  It's funny; I like a lot of corps like CC, Bluecoats, SCV, PR, Cavies, Crossmen, etc but I always go back to the Cadets as my favorite even if I like other corps' shows better.  I guess there's some sentimentality there that just won't quit.  

• Like 2

Hop was just live; admitted that they totally blew the amp setups with the big wall at NIU. Talking about going through the remaining stadiums to figure out their idiosyncrasies,  amp placements, etc. and plan to overcome those challenges. 

Why haven't they done that before? Why haven't they been doing that for 14 seasons??? :blink:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Hop was just live; admitted that they totally blew the amp setups with the big wall at NIU. Talking about going through the remaining stadiums to figure out their idiosyncrasies,  amp placements, etc. and plan to overcome those challenges. 

Why haven't they done that before? Why haven't they been doing that for 14 seasons??? :blink:

He even admitted that after all of his years in drum corps he doesn't have it all figured out.

• Like 1

Paraphrasing Hop's FB live: "We have things to change in the closer, things to add, some different backdrops at the end, there are things we need to change in the beginning that should be much more impactful, some disagreements between the design staff..."

You can't be changing things and experimenting constantly in the second half of July and expect to move up the ranks. To be honest, it sounds like an absolute mess behind the scenes.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Paraphrasing Hop's FB live: "We have things to change in the closer, things to add, some different backdrops at the end, there are things we need to change in the beginning that should be much more impactful, some disagreements between the design staff..."

You can't be changing things and experimenting constantly in the second half of July and expect to move up the ranks. To be honest, it sounds like an absolute mess behind the scenes.

I love Cadets, it is one of the corps that got me into drum corps 30 years ago. Some of their shows still blow my mind. But I'm glad there are now a lot of other corps to focus on and talk about, because I got tired of the drama that always seems to spin around Cadets. I hope this doesn't signal the end of "Good George," and the drama we have had to wade through in recent past seasons again returns to the second half of this cadets show. If it does, then we could see Cadets drop to an historic scoring low.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I love Cadets, it is one of the corps that got me into drum corps 30 years ago. Some of their shows still blow my mind. But I'm glad there are now a lot of other corps to focus on and talk about, because I got tired of the drama that always seems to spin around Cadets. I hope this doesn't signal the end of "Good George," and the drama we have had to wade through in recent past seasons again returns to the second half of this cadets show. If it does, then we could see Cadets drop to an historic scoring low.

Sir, you have taken one too many Chicken little the-sky-is-falling pills. The Cadets have already outscored the DCI Garfield Cadets of the late 70's who did not make finals. So how can it be a historic low?

BK only scored a 79 and change last night, two points below Cadets. If the 85 for BD is to believed in that same show, so should the 79. Thank God the Cadets are not and have never been George Hopkins. I believe now is where we will experience the strength of having Tom Aungst and Drew Shanefield on staff, neither of them push over personalities and both quite capable of keeping GH in check. Cadets are currently in seventh and have a great possibility for sixth. Time will tell.

For GH to publicly admit he doesn't have it all figured out is the opportunity for growth not demise.