Cadets 2017

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Idk about judging conspiracies; I feel like they got the benefit of the doubt in 2016, because that show design was awful

how exactly did they get the "benefit of the doubt in 2016"? what did they really deserve in your eyes - 12th place? last place?

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Which recent years with these present day judges did Cadets get lower placement than they should have?  And over which corps should they have placed higher?

Arguably 2013, 2014 and 2015 could have all placed a slot higher since they had beaten corps above them several times throughout season BUT we were fed the fake news of Towers being clutter (did you see INK?), 2014 the most anti-Cadets panel was assembled for finals, and 2015 a monster corps with a simple theme (no less than tilt). 

In any case, 3 years in a row where one could see a drop in the last week or two of the season. 

Edited by Tobias

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

how exactly did they get the "benefit of the doubt in 2016"? what did they really deserve in your eyes - 12th place? last place?

Won't argue it was not a Cadet caliber show but they still were talented across the board. Imagine placing 6th when more than half your drill and music was only put in 2 weeks before finals? 

11 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Arguably 2013, 2014 and 2015 could have all placed a slot higher since they had beaten corps above them several times throughout season BUT we were fed the fake news of Towers being clutter (did you see INK?), 2014 the most anti-Cadets panel was assembled for finals, and 2015 a monster corps with a simple theme (no less than tilt). 

In any case, 3 years in a row where one could see a drop in the last week or two of the season. 

Cadets have been rightfully placed in each of the years you mentioned.

2013- Good show, but BD had a show that was champion material, and The Cadets werent even close to their level imo.

2014- It is fair to point out that they were ahead of Bloo at championships but it doesnt shock me that Bloo passed them up in finals.  Bloo's show was a GE monster and their finals run was magical.  Cadets didnt really have much, the show was very flat.   I have never thought at any point since 2014 that Cadets should have been ahead of Bloo.

2015- This show is probably the most arguable of the three, but still Cadets just didnt have the GE to beat Bloo even though everything else was there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

ticks ended before Cadets were winning

I do agree there is some bias - but it can also be described as "opinion" or "on design trend" - in recent years Cadets haven't been hitting the right mark in terms of designer turned judge taste. BD nails it. Coats have the past couple years. 

The thing with ticks was that the casual fan could fairly easily tell if a Corps was going to (or should) score well or not.  Now, the judges are much more able to score a corps where they want, and if it doesn't match with the fans, well, the judges can just say to the fans 'we know more than you, that is why we are judges'.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Cadets have been rightfully placed in each of the years you mentioned.

2013- Good show, but BD had a show that was champion material, and The Cadets werent even close to their level imo.

2014- It is fair to point out that they were ahead of Bloo at championships but it doesnt shock me that Bloo passed them up in finals.  Bloo's show was a GE monster and their finals run was magical.  Cadets didnt really have much, the show was very flat.   I have never thought at any point since 2014 that Cadets should have been ahead of Bloo.

2015- This show is probably the most arguable of the three, but still Cadets just didnt have the GE to beat Bloo even though everything else was there.

good grief

First of all - your first sentence, you state it as a FACT, perhaps add "I think" or "I believe" or "IMO"

2. 2013, Cadets weren't "even close to their level"??? They won music and percussion. The only real weakness was guard. Cadets too high percussion.

3. 2014 they beat Bloo all year except the last night

4. 2015 they beat Bloo all year except the last night. Cadets took high brass

5. 2016 they were moved far behind the first pack of 1-3 after just beating them in music captions a couple nights prior. The gap that opened up was outrageous. 

Cadets fans are seeing a bit of a pattern that the finals docket of judges have been tanking them the last night or two of the past 4 seasons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

BUT we were fed the fake news of Towers being clutter...

I wouldn't say the towers were clutter; however, the lack of color contrast in the towers and the silks made it difficult to read the guard.

@George: Don't you think the wholesale music changes at the back end of 2016 hurt the music captions?