Cadets 2017

10 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Quite frankly, who cares what anyone says at this point.  The new staff are going to roll out a new corps with a (hopefully) new sound that will do a proper homage to Mass.  I really think that the sounds we will hear this year are going to be dictated by the Bernstein estate and not by any particular staff decisions or corps members involved.  The only reason the Cadets are able to do Mass (in my opinion) is by agreeing to keep everything as true to the original as possible.  Staff movements will have zero impact because of this.  

um... it isn't "true to the original" arrangement - it is true to the original intent

it is being heavily revised frankly - with some original bridges woven in as well

• Like 1

the bottom line with Cadets 2017 is a somewhat "low bar"

it can be judged "successful" (from a competitive/design/teaching standpoint) IF:

1. the corps show is well received by audiences and judges - lately the reaction has been very muted (other than 2011)

2. the corps "gains steam" later in the season - lately it's faded competitively

3. the corps finishes in 6th but feels better about the product and momentum - or HIGHER

4. "optimal" success for 2017 is probably a 5th/4th or higher placement will some creative winds in their sails and a well-regarded and received program. If the sneak into a medal spot in August then that's really something and would set them up fantastic for 2018

so let's hope for a fun and rewarding season for the Cadets!

on the flip side, failure would be:

1. another poorly received program that fades at championships

2. lower than 5th/6th place finish (another corps overtakes them)

3. lack of "progress" in the visual and/or guard caption

4. an unhappy or unrewarding summer for the membership

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

on the flip side, failure would be: 

Could the talent of the mm be considered?  Many feel the Cadets always get very good talent each year, but it might have taken a small hit these past couple of years.

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Could the talent of the mm be considered?  Many feel the Cadets always get very good talent each year, but it might have taken a small hit these past couple of years.

Be more specific. 

No matter how good the instructor, if the MMs don't have extraordinary talent, you don't win an Ott. Cadets won the Ott in recent years.or what you term "past couple of years."  couple usually means 2.

PS. I hear only 3 Cadetvets are marching brassline for Ben Arnold Crownadeters this season.  Are my numbers wrong?

Edited by xandandl

42 minutes ago, xandandl said:

PS. I hear only 3 Cadetvets are marching brassline for Ben Arnold Crownadeters this season.  Are my numbers wrong?

. I don't believe that Boston will have even 3 in its brass line this summer that marched the Cadets. if so, not more than 3 or 4 anyway. Boston also had a few auditioneers that did not earn a spot in Boston for 2017, but to their persistence credit, earned a spot in Cadets, and will be marching Cadets this summer. Boston also has only 1 or 2 that marched CC last season in its brass line. So sometimes the rumors we hear of wholesale marcher transfers are just that.... silly and unfounded rumors, started by people that have not been within 1,000 miles of a Corps camp this off season that they are commenting and making assessments on.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well the same "design constraints aka George Hopkins" have always been there so if you take out that constant, then yes, the "staff" would bare the brunt of the problem for falling placements. I think younger designers heavily involved in WGI are producing the better shows now for the new DCI. If I had my choice, I would have kept Jeff but other than that, I have no issues with a new arranger giving us an updated musical approach and fresh visual guys respecting the history of Cadets but pushing them in a bold new direction. 

I don't have a problem with it either. All I'm saying is let's keep the mudslinging about previous staff members to a minimum. History has taught that they could go to another corps and break barriers (ala Crown, Bluecoats). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't have a problem with it either. All I'm saying is let's keep the mudslinging about previous staff members to a minimum. History has taught that they could go to another corps and break barriers (ala Crown, Bluecoats). 

Taking a nice half year off from DCP has made me realize we take ourselves way too seriously. 

I agree with what you're saying but I really don't think any of this "mudslinging" will make a difference in the grand scheme of things 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Taking a nice half year off from DCP has made me realize we take ourselves way too seriously. 

I agree with what you're saying but I really don't think any of this "mudslinging" will make a difference in the grand scheme of things 

It probably doesn't make ANY difference. I just don't really embrace speaking negatively of personnel because the corps they taught didn't end up where I wanted them to be. Sometimes, grace and class is a good thing. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

That's more stylistic restraints vs design restraints. Bloo could and did thrive by sliding down ramps in one-zees. Not sure a design team would do that with Cadets even the same guys. Cadets certainly have challenges as the traditional design is no longer rewarded and a misfire for sure last year but they're attempting to create a new vision. 

• Like 1