Cadets 2017

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

so, how's the guard looking?

good so far, just learning the dots and the book but they are making solid progress

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

(not to mention BAC Visual Staff:  Eddy Falcon (member 2006-2007; staff 2009-2015); Kevin Morrison (staff); Patrick Duncan (member 2006-2008; staff 2010-11, 2013-15), Scott McAnally (member 2007-2010; staff 2014-2015)

As I said, you can slam Cadets all you want it it's a breeding ground of talent.

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Dirt I can understand from all corps...BUT what is a mess? I'm just curious by your comment is all...

Dirt is a mess. Design is wonderful. I counted 3 beautiful musical and visual moments in the first minute of the show. Just wonderful staging, drill and flow.

Just now, Tobias said:

As I said, you can slam Cadets all you want it it's a breeding ground of talent.

Which opens up a philosophical question.

If the premise is accurate that former Cadets do in fact make up more than their statistically expected share of staff members throughout DCI (an analysis I do not intend to perform myself, mind you), then:

1. is that a result of things that happen to those individuals while they are with the Cadets? or 
  2. is that a result of the underlying personality of people who choose to become a Cadet in the first place?

• Like 1

Just now, cadet93 said:

Yeah one interesting question for me is why some of the staff that was developed there, taught or marched with me in the 90s have not come back.  Like you said, there are various reasons and histories.  But yes - Bluecoats, Crown, and Boston this year will all have visual packages designed by old Cadets.

That is the disconnect for me.

I sense (what I think) is a bit of an unintended pretense in this discussion...

The answer to your question is fairly simple to see in a couple of ways.

It is true that there are quite a few Cadet alumni spread around various corps... but it is also true that corps have people from other 'big boys' of the 80's and 90's on staff... but then it is more true that lots of corps 'employ' essential instructional/management/design staff from their own breeding... and then it is probably MOST true that the staff with the greatest influence on many organizations came from a background that is neither rooted in the 'big boys' of the 80's and 90's nor are they 'home grown', but rather they come from an experience in DCA, HS marching programs and other divisional drumcorps.  When you consider all of that... the Cadet's don't look a whole lot different from any other great organization, nor do they really hold a sort of monopoly on influence.

Nothing at BAC is really any more a sort of C2, than anything at Bluecoats is a Dutch Boy2... or a Westshoremen3... etc.  The Cadets are not failing to retain their own (I'm sure that they have plenty of their own).  They are getting the best that they can, and they don't all come from the Cadets 80's and 90's or the 2000's.  Some of the best managers come from Crossmen (like Eric Kitchenman)... or some obscure DCA corps that people in the 70's and 80's used to know about.  It's about getting people with great ideas.  Many of them will have cut their teeth in the great Div. I corps of the past... but not all of them.  And many of those instructors who did march in the big boys will only ever be field instructors... because that is the skill set that they learned at Cadets and BD and SCV in the late 90's/early 2000's etc... they learned that particular skill from the best places to learn it.

Does this make sense?  There really isn't any smoke, because there really isn't any fire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I sense (what I think) is a bit of an unintended pretense in this discussion...

The answer to your question is fairly simple to see in a couple of ways.

It is true that there are quite a few Cadet alumni spread around various corps... but it is also true that corps have people from other 'big boys' of the 80's and 90's on staff... but then it is more true that lots of corps 'employ' essential instructional/management/design staff from their own breeding... and then it is probably MOST true that the staff with the greatest influence on many organizations came from a background that is neither rooted in the 'big boys' of the 80's and 90's nor are they 'home grown', but rather they come from an experience in DCA, HS marching programs and other divisional drumcorps.  When you consider all of that... the Cadet's don't look a whole lot different from any other great organization, nor do they really hold a sort of monopoly on influence.

Nothing at BAC is really any more a sort of C2, than anything at Bluecoats is a Dutch Boy2... or a Westshoremen3... etc.  The Cadets are not failing to retain their own (I'm sure that they have plenty of their own).  They are getting the best that they can, and they don't all come from the Cadets 80's and 90's or the 2000's.  Some of the best managers come from Crossmen (like Eric Kitchenman)... or some obscure DCA corps that people in the 70's and 80's used to know about.  It's about getting people with great ideas.  Many of them will have cut their teeth in the great Div. I corps of the past... but not all of them.  And many of those instructors who did march in the big boys will only ever be field instructors... because that is the skill set that they learned at Cadets and BD and SCV in the late 90's/early 2000's etc... they learned that particular skill from the best places to learn it.

Does this make sense?  There really isn't any smoke, because there really isn't any fire.

eh.

Jim Moore is a perfect example. He made that show last year - Coats would not be World Champions without him. 

look at the ex-Cadets members and staffers that were responsible for Blast!

We salute all involved with Blast. In particular, we send out best to the past
members of The Cadets
involved in this once-in-a-lifetime Broadway Opening:

Jim Prime, Arranger for the Cadets (1980-1984) 
Don van Doren, Brass Instructor for The Cadets (1980-1984; 1998-1999) 
Jim Moore, Guard Instructor for The Cadets 
Jon Vanderkolff, Member, Visual Instructor 
Thom Hannum, Percussion Instructor for The Cadets (1983-1988) and for the
Crossmen
    (1998-1999) 
Rosie Miller, Guard Instructor for The Cadets 
Frank Sullivan, Brass Instructor for The Cadets 
Marc Whitlock, Brass Instructor for The Cadets

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

eh.

Jim Moore is a perfect example. He made that show last year - Coats would not be World Champions without him. 

look at the ex-Cadets members and staffers that were responsible for Blast!

Of course.  I'm not throwing shade.  Jim Moore is a mighty fine Bluecoat (because that is what he is now) who certainly came out of the Cadet lineage.  But I doubt that anyone could say that he didn't write an exclusively Bluecoats concept.  Likewise... last year couldn't have been what it was for the Bluecoats without Doug Thrower (who was not a Cadet, at least I don't think he was), an arranger that through the years was never replaced or pushed out for poor placement... or the positive and up-beat leadership of director David Glasgow (who has only ever been a Bluecoat).

I'm just pointing out the degree to which the conversation was placing far too many eggs in one basket.  The puzzle is always made up of many pieces... The Cadets have manufactured more than a few good pieces over the years... but the puzzles aren't all more maroon/burgundy than any other color in the spectrum.  That includes the Cadets.  Nor do the Cadets have a lack of personnel that are 'home grown'.