Cadets 2017

34 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i know it's an anniversary year for BD, but they shouldn't be given the Sid Crosby bye. If you listen to their Pavilion clip, there is a tremendous amount of re-voicing of past musical scores layered within the supposedly "new." Their opening loooooooooooooong drum sequence some poster noted was borrowed from 1976;

If Bloo is criticized for just being formulaic with different songs, Cavies replaying several numbers they and others have played, and BD is recycling from their legacy, then Cadets shouldn't be whipped because they found a composer who has brought them much success and hope to find that success again for a new generation.

This is why I get confused when people criticize the Cadets for being "old fashioned" and sticking to what they know. A lot of other corps do the same, without getting nearly as much heat as the Cadets do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

that's cool. When will you be "sold"? When it scores well? Is that what this is about now? 

Just wondering.

Not necessarily just scoring well George.  For me though, I want to see the Cadets show and think "wow they are at the forefront of the activity design wise".  I want them to have a current and cutting edge visual program that is in the top tier of the activity.

Until 2008 that was never even a question for me.  Yes, they would be dirtier than others early season and I could care less about that.  They were at the top level with program coordination.

That may not be what Tek is referring to, but I want to see the innovators again. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Not necessarily just scoring well George.  For me though, I want to see the Cadets show and think "wow they are at the forefront of the activity design wise".  I want them to have a current and cutting edge visual program that is in the top tier of the activity.

Until 2008 that was never even a question for me.  Yes, they would be dirtier than others early season and I could care less about that.  They were at the top level with program coordination.

That may not be what Tek is referring to, but I want to see the innovators again. 

I do too. Totally agree. So much staff have been developed there and moved off to other corps, left for personal reasons, grown old etc over the years that I personally think there was (is?) a need for a new wave of young blood. Hopefully that's some of what we're in the middle of - some youth along with some experience. We'll see!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I do too. Totally agree. So much staff have been developed there and moved off to other corps, left for personal reasons, grown old etc over the years that I personally think there was (is?) a need for a new wave of young blood. Hopefully that's some of what we're in the middle of - some youth along with some experience. We'll see!

Yeah one interesting question for me is why some of the staff that was developed there, taught or marched with me in the 90s have not come back.  Like you said, there are various reasons and histories.  But yes - Bluecoats, Crown, and Boston this year will all have visual packages designed by old Cadets.

That is the disconnect for me.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Yeah one interesting question for me is why some of the staff that was developed there, taught or marched with me in the 90s have not come back.  Like you said, there are various reasons and histories.  But yes - Bluecoats, Crown, and Boston this year will all have visual packages designed by old Cadets.

You can always flip it around the other way and ask why other corps don't identify and develop their own talent. 

There is an advantage to identifying young talent and coaching them.

Namely $$$

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You can always flip it around the other way and ask why other corps don't identify and develop their own talent. 

There is an advantage to identifying young talent and coaching them.

Namely $$$

I will add, with the educational mission of YEA there is real value in development of not just members but also leadership in your adults as new teachers, arrangers, designers and staff. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

BD could not have won anywhere near as many titles and medals as they have if they had to " develop their own talent ". Neither could have lots of the other perennially upper tier DCI Corps. Thats why BD has never been asked " why not develop your own talent ". They never had too. Thats why the question has never been posed to them... and thus, why they never had to identify and develop their own talent. Staff and marcher talent have been moving between Corps in DCI since the formation of DCI. This movement has always resulted in some losers and some winners in the annual migration. Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, cadet93 said:

I understand your point Cadet93, but for clarification purposes, Boston's visual design team came over from Crown, not Cadets.  I also wanted to note that over the years many designers and staff from BAC also went to other corps.  

Edited by craiga
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, cadet93 said:

There is one main reason. The problem doesn't see themselves as the problem. Until that changes nothing's going to change. So the revolving door goes around and around and around again and again. 

11 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

There is one main reason. The problem doesn't see themselves as the problem. Until that changes nothing's going to change. So the revolving door goes around and around and around again and again. 

I've heard this many times and my thinking is after being under the Cadet umbrella and whether you like or dislike them, it's a breeding ground of talent, people are inclined to leave and create their own successes. What did Potter, Mays etal leave Crown? One reason is they did their thing and wanted to create a different product. People move on for many reasons but it shouldn't always be "because the corps they left is mean or dysfunctional". Tom Aungst left Crown and returned to Cadets. Crowns fault? Leon Mays, Keith Potter, Micheal Townsen and a gazillon techs left Crown to BAC. Is it Crown's fault? No, I haven't heard it was BUT we blame Cadets when someone leaves. CADETS old style is just not conducive to the new DCI/WGI system and they are making huge overhauls to their design. It's time for new blood and I really like what I'm seeing from them so far under all that ST dirt and mess. Good for them. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1