Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, craiga said:

but for clarification purposes, Boston's visual design team came over from Crown, not Cadets. 

but for clarification purposes ...

BAC Artistic Director Keith Potter:  Cadets member 1991-1993; previous design work for Cadets

BAC Drill Designer Leon May:  Cadets member 1988-1990; Cadets visual staff 1990-1997

• Like 6

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I understand your point Cadet93, but for clarification purposes, Boston's visual design team came over from Crown, not Cadets.  I also wanted to note that over the years many designers and staff from BAC also went to other corps.  

Both Leon May and Keith Potter are Cadets MMs alumni.  Your guard program is basically CC2

11 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

This is why I get confused when people criticize the Cadets for being "old fashioned" and sticking to what they know. A lot of other corps do the same, without getting nearly as much heat as the Cadets do.

What Blue Devils is doing is not recycling. Thats a steep word to use, recycling would be something formality of design and shows. it's more of nodd to the past with few snippets that fits within the idea or concept of the show celebrating their big 60th, to how far they coming from to where they are going, they are evolving again. This year show is something definitely fresh from what they FORMALLY been doing while embracing the past but yet moving to the future. The music is definitely different for them and how they have played it.

I agree with you to a level that cadets gets criticized for being too traditional, but I also disagree with that point of view. Cadeta can be traditional for me all day any day and still knock it out of the park. They have been beyond excellent! I Respect Cadets! I just think people just want to see a little modernization from them. But if it nots broken why fix it.

• Like 4

(not to mention BAC Visual Staff:  Eddy Falcon (member 2006-2007; staff 2009-2015); Kevin Morrison (staff); Patrick Duncan (member 2006-2008; staff 2010-11, 2013-15), Scott McAnally (member 2007-2010; staff 2014-2015)

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

BD could not have won anywhere near as many titles and medals as they have if they had to " develop their own talent ". Neither could have lots of the other perennially upper tier DCI Corps. Thats why BD has never been asked " why not develop your own talent ". They never had too. Thats why the question has never been posed to them... and thus, why they never had to identify and develop their own talent. Staff and marcher talent have been moving between Corps in DCI since the formation of DCI. This movement has always resulted in some losers and some winners in the annual migration. Same as it ever was.

You are correct in that BD originally did a BAC and bought out SCV in the '70's. They then added big names from Troopers, Cadets, and Star, added a number of Cadets as techs when their fulltime jobs moved them to Cali., continued to add SCV alums, etc. Only in percussion did BD develop a pipeline of BD alums; the Odello family would be one such example. Now they even have a CEO who is a Cadet alum after having a longttime BoD member who was a Cadet alum. Justin H., the BD CEO did put in some short time with BAC front office after Cadets and then went back to Cadets before being bought out by BD.

SCV was also a corps that developed many talented faculty. But now they have become Cavaliers West after having had a number of Cadets and names who marched a variety of East Coast corps such as 27th and Finleyville. More Illinois with the buyouts of Shaw and Rennicks from Phantom.

I believe the point of the original poster of this subset discussion is that the philosophy of certain corps specifically focuses on the future of educators. Look at the number of Cavaliers who have become band directors nationwide, Phantom to a lesser extent, Madison from the 70's-through the 90's and the Cadets overwhelmingly.  Anyone who marched Cadets during the Zingali years can well hear his Reverah voice sounding, "And when you are teaching ,,," as he exhorted and corrected MMs. For a long while of time, DCI front office used to track how many educators marched in DCI corps. Now they might need to track how many are engineers, medical, and computer professionals.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

There is one main reason. The problem doesn't see themselves as the problem. Until that changes nothing's going to change. So the revolving door goes around and around and around again and again. 

That's a very incorrect assumption on the public's part. And over time Cadets have had excellent staff stability. Other than BD which just pays top dollar once they gain someone who can win a caption consistently. 

55 minutes ago, Eleran said:

but for clarification purposes ...

BAC Artistic Director Keith Potter:  Cadets member 1991-1993; previous design work for Cadets

BAC Drill Designer Leon May:  Cadets member 1988-1990; Cadets visual staff 1990-1997

Great talent coming from the Cadets! :)

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Great talent coming from the Cadets! :)

yes, and everyone clearly for altruistic purposes too!

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

It's time for new blood and I really like what I'm seeing from them so far under all that ST dirt and mess. Good for them. 

Dirt I can understand from all corps...BUT what is a mess? I'm just curious by your comment is all...