Cadets 2017

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Of course.  I'm not throwing shade.  Jim Moore is a mighty fine Bluecoat (because that is what he is now) who certainly came out of the Cadet lineage.  But I doubt that anyone could say that he didn't write an exclusively Bluecoats concept.  s

Cool. This isn't meant as a contest - it just is what it is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

but for clarification purposes ...

BAC Artistic Director Keith Potter:  Cadets member 1991-1993; previous design work for Cadets

BAC Drill Designer Leon May:  Cadets member 1988-1990; Cadets visual staff 1990-1997

And during the exact time that Leon was a marching member of Cadets Colin McNutt was a marching member of BAC.  Not sure what the point is. The reality is there must be more to the story than simply $ behind these staff moves. Perhaps a higher level of creative autonomy? Support from management? Or maybe just a fresh professional challenge?  In any event, the staff changes have happened and good luck to all in 2017.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

And during the exact time that Leon was a marching member of Cadets Colin McNutt was a marching member of BAC.  Not sure what the point is. The reality is there must be more to the story than simply $ behind these staff moves. Perhaps a higher level of creative autonomy? Support from management? Or maybe just a fresh professional challenge?  In any event, the staff changes have happened and good luck to all in 2017.

tumblr_nmyqr6aWUr1rjg6ego1_500.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

That's a very incorrect assumption on the public's part. And over time Cadets have had excellent staff stability. Other than BD which just pays top dollar once they gain someone who can win a caption consistently. 

I don't disagree that Cadets have produced allot of talented administrators and staff over the years. My point was referenced to retention. The 2017 Cadet staff is made up of those who said yes to GH after so many resigned and left after 2016. I hope to see improvements in areas that have been problematic. However there were allot of staff candidates who said no for a reason. 

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

Cool. This isn't meant as a contest - it just is what it is. 

Oh no... certainly not.  I get in here sometimes and I think... JEEPERS!  Some of these Cadet fans can have such a loyalty and pride that they approach self destruction in the way that they see things.

If I would say one solidly positive thing about George Hopkins over the past season of time... it's that he has demonstrated the experience of knowing how to defeat any sense of defeat.  He has a way of conveying to the kids in his organization that the Cadets in 5th or 6th place are the same Cadets that are 1st.  That not getting the outcome that you hoped for is not a definition of self.  That in spite of the things that you don't do well among the things that you have responsibility and control over... there's a lot that you absolutely can't control.

I don't think the fans see that in their criticism.  They see a handful of big names working for other groups...  and then this seems to turn into a compensation via claims or a consolation of sorts... and inevitably it turns into a bit of finger-pointing with a tinge of paranoia that 'something must be wrong'.

I'm a Cadet fan... but I'm also an outsider with some other loyalties as well... trying to temper the discussion in a way that is less introspectively critical... or unnecessarily proud.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

I don't disagree that Cadets have produced allot of talented administrators and staff over the years. My point was referenced to retention. The 2017 Cadet staff is made up of those who said yes to GH after so many resigned and left after 2016. I hope to see improvements in areas that have been problematic. However there were allot of staff candidates who said no for a reason. 

Very true.  These things happen.  For a long time The Cadets (Garfield) had a very stable staff. They had a group in the 80s that produced some fantastic shows.  Then things shifted in the 90s with Bocook coming in, but Marc Sylvester and April Gilligan were still there. In the 2000s they had a fabulous team anchored by Bocook, Gino, Aungst (sp?), Sacktig, and others.  Now things have shifted.  For whatever reasons, key staff have moved on.  Maybe it was professional change that was needed and they wanted more freedom to create, maybe they fought with the director, maybe they just need a change of scenery, maybe it's the money.  Who knows?  None of that matters now. The Cadets must move on, find new staff (and they have) and build for the future. 

Hopkins may not be the easiest guy to get along with (I really don't know), but I respect his ability to continually reshape the Cadets when he has had to.  They may not be world beaters this year.  I am thinking at best 4th (and that might be high), but most likely 5th or 6th.  But I believe Hop has put the infrastructure in place to begin recruiting the high level of talent they need to compete.  With additional Bernstein shows coming over the next few years (maybe On The Waterfront for next year), and with 2 summer performances with the New York Philharmonic in 2018 and 2019 I believe they are going to find some amazing talent -- not to mention that C2 has really taken off and provides a solid feeder corps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

Which opens up a philosophical question.

If the premise is accurate that former Cadets do in fact make up more than their statistically expected share of staff members throughout DCI (an analysis I do not intend to perform myself, mind you), then:

1. is that a result of things that happen to those individuals while they are with the Cadets? or 
  2. is that a result of the underlying personality of people who choose to become a Cadet in the first place?

I would think both. Cadets attract somewhat talented members and does pretty amazing things with them. Somewhere in there is the desire for these members to transform to teachers.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

here's how they are positioned on the field on side 1

We'll need a third collection for seat cushions.

Rumor was that Tekk and Tobias were embroidering them but begged off when they couldn't figure how to post at the same time. Don't get the ones with the little buttons or tuffets; they snag the pants and skirts on some materials.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Well let's see... Gino was st Cadets with his techs for 17 years. Colin was there 9 years. Jeff Sacktig was there for 20+ years as was Greg Legola. April was there for 15+ years. Many techs were there 5+ years. Not sure where the revolving door hypothesis comes into play. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Well let's see... Gino was st Cadets with his techs for 17 years. Colin was there 9 years. Jeff Sacktig was there for 20+ years as was Greg Legola. April was there for 15+ years. Many techs were there 5+ years. Not sure where the revolving door hypothesis comes into play. 

It's a made up theory that Cadet haters cling to so they can sleep better at night

• Like 3