Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

You are reading too much into what I am saying. I am not saying any one person was responsible for the good or bad that happens during a season. It is always a team effort, and for whatever reason, the team at the Cadets needed a change. 

You are correct, those who left may have "had enough" and decided it was a good time to move on. Your inference is the leader of the team, the one person who has been most instrumental in the corps success over the past 35 years is the problem. Maybe so, we will learn if that is true soon enough, but if anyone has earned the right to have a chance to turn it around it is George Hopkins. Ten championships in four decades with different creative teams speak loudly. 

Yes, Blue Devils are an example that continuity of staff will breed success, but they are an anomaly. No other corps comes close to their consistancy, budget, creativity over time, etc. I do not compare anyone to their standard. 

We will see how things shake out this year. A new team could do great things. Maybe sixth place last year gave the organization the jolt needed to get back to the top. 

I appreciate your reply.  I wasn't directing anything in particular towards George.  I was meaning the overall situation with design issues, changes, a rough hard season.  A staff that had been together for so long might have succumbed to the grind.  After a bit of reflection some staff decided maybe to move on to other things, places or restful quiet.  Good luck to the Cadets and best wishes to all their ardent supporters.  You are all very prolific when it comes to posting on DCP.

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I appreciate your reply.  I wasn't directing anything in particular towards George.  I was meaning the overall situation with design issues, changes, a rough hard season.  A staff that had been together for so long might have succumbed to the grind.  After a bit of reflection some staff decided maybe to move on to other things, places or restful quiet.  Good luck to the Cadets and best wishes to all their ardent supporters.  You are all very prolific when it comes to posting on DCP.

Cadets needed a refresh. And frankly there was a lot of ego in a small collective with not a ton of caption awards the past decade. 

ONE championship since 2005

ZERO guard trophies since 2005

1 horn & 1 percussion win

It just wasn't keeping them at the very top which is where they want/need to be

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

You wanna know what I'm worried about? 

Back when I marched, many people went to BD for their brassline. Many people went to Cadets for their drill. SCV well, what can I say, they're SCV. The name says it all. But nowadays, what are Cadets known for? They lost their best drill writer, their best hornline caption head as well as their best brass arranger (of this era). What reputation will this season build for Cadets? I don't know, but I surely hope it brings back a great reputation. 

Foe once we agree!

I have honestly been surprised it took until last year for Cadets to drop to 6th.

I dont say this to be nasty, but as Crown became "cool" after 2007ish, many kids that would have gone to Cadets started going there.  Then after Tilt, more probably went to Bluecoats instead of Cadets.  

Over time, this has reduced the talent going to Cadets as more "competitive" options have become available.  Now add Boston to the list of eastern corps that attract top talent, and there you have it.

I expected a drop from Cadets that would cause a "rebuild" around 2010, then they surprised me in 2011.  Since then its been bad program coordination that has slowly reduced interest in the Corps....IMHO.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

So......anyone watch tonight?

Yup!

Thank god they have two more days lol

They practiced coming on the field. They were cleaner than yesterday. Balance is still way off on the electronics. 

But it was much improved "performance" than Monday in terms of confidence etc. Which is huge.

They are about 3 points behind Cavaliers/Crown IMO. Maybe by Thursday night that can be 2.75 :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup!

They practiced coming on the field. They were cleaner than yesterday. Balance is still way off on the electronics. 

But it was much improved "performance" than Monday in terms of confidence etc. Which is huge.

They are about 3 points behind Cavaliers/Crown IMO. Maybe by Thursday night that can be 2.75 :)

...I will enjoy them regardless of where they place.

56 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Foe once we agree!

I have honestly been surprised it took until last year for Cadets to drop to 6th.

I dont say this to be nasty, but as Crown became "cool" after 2007ish, many kids that would have gone to Cadets started going there.  Then after Tilt, more probably went to Bluecoats instead of Cadets.  

Over time, this has reduced the talent going to Cadets as more "competitive" options have become available.  Now add Boston to the list of eastern corps that attract top talent, and there you have it.

I expected a drop from Cadets that would cause a "rebuild" around 2010, then they surprised me in 2011.  Since then its been bad program coordination that has slowly reduced interest in the Corps....IMHO.

I liked some of the post 2011 Cadet shows, pretty much all but 2016, and particularly 2015. I thought they beat us over the head with the theme in 2015, but it was a pretty great musical and visual design. That hornline won best brass while marching that insane drill. Something we really don't see in DCI today. I wanted them to win in 2015 from the moment I saw them until quarterfinals, when Crown blew me away. For the next three days, I was hoping it would be Cadets or Crown. Honestly, I thought they should have placed 3rd in 2015. How they didn't come out on top in nearly all the content captions is beyond me, and leads me to believe content is really meaningless. You cannot tell me that wasn't the most demanding show of the year, musically and visually.

I think last year was a big misfire, and I think this year is an even greater one. I don't really know what's going on there, but it is a bit alarming. I think it's part of talent leaving perhaps, but a great design can take a corps pretty far. No one will ever convince me that the 2016 Cavaliers were more talented than the 2016 Cadets. The Cavies had an amazing show design last year. When you have an amazing design, you get positive feedback, which makes you excited. And, being that you don't have to focus on changes, you focus on cleaning, which creates competitive results, which gets you more excited. It's a positive cycle. When you have a poor design, are constantly making changes, and seeing yourselves slip competitively, it's demoralizing and a vicious circle. 

I think they need to take a step back and really look at their program and make the necessary changes that can allow them to be competitively successful in the future.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup!

How do you figure they are about 3 points behind Cavaliers and Crown?