Cadets 2017

4 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Actually I think the battery has a shot taking a caption. They're pretty good!

Fan of the Arts

As one person commented on a Youtube video of Spring Training rehearsal, they're playing insane stuff well but they're running side to side behind the back hash. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that {staging}

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Thinking about the recruiting thing-- if there's anything 18-22 year olds these days get excited about, it's Catholicism and composers who have been dead for 26 years

I love composers who have been dead for almost 30 years and Bernstein's Mass is a wonderful piece, just not in the this arrangement.

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

Thinking about the recruiting thing-- if there's anything 18-22 year olds these days get excited about, it's Catholicism and composers who have been dead for 26 years

WWJD

What Would Jesus Design

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I love composers who have been dead for almost 30 years and Bernstein's Mass is a wonderful piece, just not in the this arrangement.

Sure, but it's not what scores these days. The trend for success is taking a million musical ideas from different genres and blending them into something fresh, or at least something which allows them to run onto a prop and make a pose while playing an impact moment :4_joy: I wonder if the restrictions on arrangement set by the Bernstein estate will really hurt them because they can't do this.

Look at Bluecoats--they're playing music by a current indie band, who came and performed for them. They're innovating and setting a whole new standard in use of electronics. That's exciting for Teh Millenials. 

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Ok, fair enough...but Carolina Crown is opening their show with music written by a church organist who happens to be 267 years dead. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, FTNK said:

As one person commented on a Youtube video of Spring Training rehearsal, they're playing insane stuff well but they're running side to side behind the back hash. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that {staging}

Percussion judges don't care if they are on the back hash or front sideline, except for giving some kudos for playing so well with the front ensemble when being so far away. Poor staging of a drumline won't keep the caption from taking the gold. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Ok, fair enough...but Carolina Crown is opening their show with music written by a church organist who happens to be 267 years dead. 

But it's just one element of their show, combined with a bunch of others.

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

But it's just one element of their show, combined with a bunch of others.

I get that, but you seem to think (from your statement above) that somehow 18-22 year olds do not get excited about performing works of dead composers from long ago.  This is how it came across.  The best musicians out of high school and in college actually prefer to play Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms, Mozart, Mussorgsky, Chopin, Debussy, and yes, Bernstein or Copland or you name it.  Carolina Crown is not attracting the average 18 to 22 year old. If they were they would not be winning Jim Ott awards. If the Cadets want to get back to top notch brass they must once again attract highly educated and talented musicians who are not cut from the average cloth. Hence, those performances with the New York Phil over the next two summers will prove to be a big reason they will get some excellent talent.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Sure, but it's not what scores these days. The trend for success is taking a million musical ideas from different genres and blending them into something fresh, or at least something which allows them to run onto a prop and make a pose while playing an impact moment :4_joy: I wonder if the restrictions on arrangement set by the Bernstein estate will really hurt them because they can't do this.

Look at Bluecoats--they're playing music by a current indie band, who came and performed for them. They're innovating and setting a whole new standard in use of electronics. That's exciting for Teh Millenials. 

This logic implies that every other composer who has written great music over time is now irrelevant and should not be used in this current age of drum corps. It also implies that fans who DO like music written by those are pretty much irrelevant.  I find that absolutely ridiculous. Look we get that you are concerned with this year's show design (rightly so in my opinion), but attempting elevating your argument by discounting the scores of good music out there as well as fans who do like that type of music is not really helping. 

• Like 2